Menu

Pros and cons of dropping a dual-credit cc course?

As I described in my vent post below, dd is wanting to drop her Spanish II course. It is an entirely online course, and she got off to a bad start b/c she took over two weeks to understand the very complicated interface. All this week she thought she was caught up, but last night found out differently. She "found" a lot of homeworks she hadn't allowed time for, and did (she thinks) badly on a test she submitted last night. She is very frustrated and wants to drop. She found out that this course is being offered live (classroom style) in the spring and wants to take that.

I advised her last night to stick with this course. But she feels she would do better in a traditional class, esp. with a foreign language. She took Spanish I at this cc last spring in a live class and did well. I'm also thinking it would be good to let her focus on the other dc classes she is taking right now (freshman comp, college algebra, and intro chem).

But of course there would be that W on her transcript.

Thoughts?

Thank you,

At many schools, there is a six week period at the beginning of the semester where, if you withdraw, no W shows on your transcript. Check it out, she might still be in time for that.

I do not know for sure, but would not think one W would be detrimental; after all, many students have to adjust their course loads. definitely better than a very low grade.

At many schools, there is a six week period at the beginning of the semester where, if you withdraw, no W shows on your transcript. Check it out, she might still be in time for that.

I do not know for sure, but would not think one W would be detrimental; after all, many students have to adjust their course loads. definitely better than a very low grade.

If I recall correctly, there was a very early date for dropping without a W--I'm pretty sure we've passed that, but I will certainly check. Thanks for your insight. :)

My oldest ended up having to drop the physics II class she was taking at the cc. She had a really hard time with the class. The teacher spoke in a monotone in a thick accent. All the homework was online and she really had no idea how to do it. I had to reteach her what was covered after every class. She bombed the first test and then really bombed the second test. She dropped just a few days before the final drop date and got a W. It didn't end up affecting anything for her.

It also didn't count in the 6 drops that you're allowed to have at a state school because she was still in high school and enrolled as a dual credit student.

My oldest ended up having to drop the physics II class she was taking at the cc. She had a really hard time with the class. The teacher spoke in a monotone in a thick accent. All the homework was online and she really had no idea how to do it. I had to reteach her what was covered after every class. She bombed the first test and then really bombed the second test. She dropped just a few days before the final drop date and got a W. It didn't end up affecting anything for her.

It also didn't count in the 6 drops that you're allowed to have at a state school because she was still in high school and enrolled as a dual credit student.

That is so helpful to know!

From reading your other post it sounds like the interface doesn't work well and the professor isn't accessible. That's a perfectly terrible combination.

Our son too had a flop of an online course. It was a stand alone course (not part of a language sequence) and he was able to switch over to audit status. The course was just not well designed and the professor wasn't doing a good job teaching it. Online education only works if the instructor wants to be teaching that kind of class and they understand the need to be timely with grading and support. I'm very glad he switched from taking the course for credit because the situation didn't get better as the semester went on and he would have been very stressed if taking it for a grade. He took only in person courses from that point on and has never had another negative experience like that.

One more thought, if your daughter has asked for help and her emails or requests were ignored, I would really encourage her to make the department chair aware of that situation.

I would let her drop it. Foreign language is easier to learn in person in a class than online. Since she is off to a poor start, it would be very difficult to turn all those grades around. She has a plan to take the course later, so she isn't just trying to get out of taking it. I think it is better to have a W in the course than a D or F, which would require her to retake the course anyway.

Better a "W" then a "D". I'd say drop it, I never did well in online classes in college. I have 2 "W"s on my transcript one is for French (ugh!) and the other was because of personal problems at home. Which is much better then the 1 "B", 2 "C"s and 1 "D" I got that same semester... Nobody ever blinks an eye at my "W"'s but that "D" still hurts. You have to take into account that this grade will be with her forever. Also Foreign Language is a "building" type of class. You must have a complete grasp of the first "block" before you can ever hope to learn the next.