Menu

Gluten free info please! :)

I need some info, I am going to be bringing some food to a little shin dig for my daughters karate. The leader of karate can't have gluten. I am terribly inept at all this gluten stuff.

SO! Can you tell me if this recipe has gluten in it?

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/boilermaker-tailgate-chili/detail.aspx

Can you give me a tried and true, delicious gluten free cookie or cupcake recipes (and frosting if cupcake).

Please?

Thank you!

Honestly, if you aren't familiar with GF cooking, I would pick a simpler dish to make. I could make that GF, but it would require reading a lot of labels, as several of those ingredients may or may not be GF.

As far as cupcakes go, try the Betty Crocker GF cake mix. It is pretty good and no harder to make than regular. Only difference is it makes less. :glare: You can use regular store bought frosting or make a standard buttercream frosting.

I need some info, I am going to be bringing some food to a little shin dig for my daughters karate. The leader of karate can't have gluten. I am terribly inept at all this gluten stuff.

SO! Can you tell me if this recipe has gluten in it?

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/boilermaker-tailgate-chili/detail.aspx

Can you give me a tried and true, delicious gluten free cookie or cupcake recipes (and frosting if cupcake).

Please?

Thank you!

There are so many ingredients in that recipe that might or probably do have gluten in them. Here is my favorite potluck, gluten free dish:

http://allrecipes.com/recipe/easy-mexican-casserole/detail.aspx

Even with this recipe though, you will have to buy a salsa that says "gluten free" on it. Make sure your sour cream is NOT low fat and only has "cream" and "enzyme" listed as ingredients. And DO NOT use the chili beans; use plain canned pinto beans or cook them up from dried yourself. Also check to make sure the tortilla chips are only corn and oil and salt.

I'm assuming that the leader is going to be comfortable with what you bring or is bringing their own food. And it's great you want to be helpful for someone that is GF! I always appreciate anyone who wants to accommodate my food allergies (I'm not GF, but was for a year) but very few people are able to realistically do so. It's not that they don't try, it's just hard enough even for me to make sure I've made something that is relatively safe. Sometimes people with special diets will, for good reason, only eat their own food or food from someone that they know is experienced with cooking around special sensitivities.

Some people cannot have even trace amounts and do not feel comfortable eating things unless they are quite sure there is no cross-contamination. Some need to have things made in a kitchen where no wheat flour has been used recently and with utensils/baking tools that are completely free of any trace amount.

But if a person is gluten free due to a mild intolerance or by choice, they may not need to be so careful. :)

As already said, the recipe you posted has so many ingredients and so many opportunities for problems. Worcestershire sauce could be an issue, but I think there is a GF brand. Gluten is in the most unlikely places sometimes.

If the person is avoiding gluten or has a mild sensitivity or says they don't mind if they are accidentally exposed, I'd go with a box GF mix. There are good recipes, but if you aren't cooking GF all the time, it's not worth getting all the special ingredients for them.

King Arthur Flour has good brownie, cake, and cookie mixes. Gluten Free Pantry's cookies are fine, but a little crumbly. Namaste's chocolate cake (for cupcakes) was not good, but their spice cake mix is wonderful. Someone recommended Betty Crocker, which I haven't tried, but it's widely available. If the person is highly sensitive, be sure there is no cross contamination. Best wishes as you look for the right dish :)

I saw several ingredients with potential. Beer, worcestershire (sometimes okay, sometimes not) buoillion (sp?) is sometimes problematic.

Our chili is really basic - soak pinto beans overnight and cook in crock pot the next day. After beans are soft, cut up tomatoes, sauteed onions and garlic and cooked hamburger meat go in the crockpot as well. Add spices (chili powder, salt, etc) and double check the ingredients of the spices to make sure they haven't used wheat for some reason in them. You should be safe. :)

Use a box mix for cupcakes or brownies (the brownies are better in my opinion!). Check frostings for gluten ingredients but many of the ones in the store are gluten free.

Good luck!