Menu

Angel food ministries closed.

A sad sign of the times.

I don't really think so. They were a for-profit business masquerading as a ministry. Of course, they were legally a non-profit, but in practice there were people taking big salaries and perks. One family member's salary in 2009 was $674,000. That would have paid for a LOT of food and fuel.

At the moment, they are being sued by members of their own board, under investigation by the FBI, and previously settled another lawsuit regarding using company money to pay personal expenses (above and beyond the high salaries.)

The same thing could be organized more locally. The prices were not that good, but a benefit to those who couldn't comparison shop or plan as wasily as others. I read that employees and vendors are trying to work out a way to keep it going - I hope they are able to with a more reasonable business plan and be a TRUE non-profit.

I didn't realize they'd been going for 17 years; that's a long time.

I find it slightly odd that they say, "Unfortunately many if not all other food ministries have gone out of business in recent years." The food bank in our town, which is run by a church folk, is going strong and I'm sure this is true in other locations as well.

Edited by milovaný

I don't really think so. They were a for-profit business masquerading as a ministry. Of course, they were legally a non-profit, but in practice there were people taking big salaries and perks. One family member's salary in 2009 was $674,000. That would have paid for a LOT of food and fuel.

At the moment, they are being sued by members of their own board, under investigation by the FBI, and previously settled another lawsuit regarding using company money to pay personal expenses (above and beyond the high salaries.)

The same thing could be organized more locally. The prices were not that good, but a benefit to those who couldn't comparison shop or plan as wasily as others. I read that employees and vendors are trying to work out a way to keep it going - I hope they are able to with a more reasonable business plan and be a TRUE non-profit.

I had no idea of any of this! We didn't use them but I had never heard any negative press.

Thanks for a bit of the "other side" of the story.

We had gotten it for a bit a few years ago. I didn't find the prices bad but the food was terrible quality. Meat cooked down to nothing, the spaghetti sauce was full of HFCS and disgusting. Just not worth it at all for us. Sad to see it close for the families that need it though.

Stephenie

Wow. Now that's eye opening.

I didn't realize they'd been going for 17 years; that's a long time.

I find it slightly odd that they say, "Unfortunately many if not all other food ministries have gone out of business in recent years." The food bank in our town, which is run by a church folk, is going strong and I'm sure this is true in other locations as well.

Colorado SHARE went bankrupt in the last couple of years. The foodbank that serves my county is hurting. They are still providing food, but they are short on donations and food and the number of people seeking help are up.

This. Our church has a food ministry. They normally help about 200 people per month. Beginning this summer, the numbers significantly changed -- 300+ families, representing almost 1,000 people. Most of these families are people who are unemployed for the first time in their lives.

This reminds me a bit of "locks of love". The perception is that the "ministry" operates with integrity, but the reality might be different.

I have a different view and perspective on Angel Food, though. I found the service offer healthy options at a reasonable cost that (by determining my planning, and keeping me out of stores) saved my family money. IMO, the food options got healthier as time went on.

I was hoping to coordinate the timing of my income with getting back to Angel Food.

*looking for plan B*

When I started reading, I assumed that it closed because, since food ministries rely on donations, the wretched economy had dried up sufficient donation flow.

Now I have learned the group was a false front.

UGH.