Menu

Female hair loss?

Zebra

I am 34 and have lost a lot of hair recently. Clumps are not coming out, but there are just hairs everywhere. This happened after I gave birth, 8 years ago and I am wondering WHAT is going on? I am definitely not pregnant. If I look on the back of my head there almost looks like there is a bald spot forming. Not too bad, but it's pretty thin. DH says you can't tell unless I point it out. I have always had thin hair, but this is ridiculous. I also seem to be getting a lot of gray hairs this year too.

Has anyone been through this, any ideas? I have been trying to avoid "toxic" products more in the past few months, and had a horribly stressful summer. Today I decided I better start taking a multi-vitamin (with OJ to make sure I absorb the iron!).

Is this just some sort of hormone shift thing or what?

A wonderful lady on here mentioned Iodroal to me about a year ago. I was having hair loss and a few other problems. Well I bought it and started taking it. My hair loss really lightened up. Then I had a busy summer and did not take my vitamins or the Iodoral. I am loosing hair once again, so I started the other day taking it. Worth a try.

I would get blood work done and as previous comment get thyroid checked. also I have heard that taking vitamins and specially B12 helps if you are vegetarian.

I have noticed the shorter the hair less i loose them. so depends on the length of your hair as well.

Lots and lots and lots of tips here.

When carrying out any of these methods, remember to be patient. Normal hair growth should resume within 6 months after starting any supplement or making any dietary or other change.

EAT MORE

The healthy condition of the hair depends, to a very large extent, on the intake of sufficient amounts of essential nutrients in the daily diet. Hair is made of protein and adequate protein is necessary for luxuriant hair. Protein makes up the building blocks of healthy hair.

Women require 60 grams, men 80 to 90, adolescent boys and girls 80 to 100 grams of protein. It is supplied by plain yogurt, tofu, soy milk, eggs, cheese, poultry, meat and fish.

According to Adelle Davis, a world famous nutritionist, "Increasing the intake of protein, particularly of liver, wheat germ and yeast, and supplementing the diet with a teaspoon of inositol daily usually stops a man's hair from falling, and I have seen three or four persons whose hair became thick after these improvements were made."

Persons with a tendency to lose hair should follow a well-balanced and correct diet, made up of foods which in combination should supply all the essential nutrients. It has been found that a diet which contains liberal quantities of seeds, nuts and grains, vegetables, and fruits would provide adequate amounts of all the essential nutrients. Each food group should roughly form the bulk of one of the three principal. These foods should, however, be supplemented with certain special foods such as honey, wheat germ, yeast and liver.

A lack of vitamin A may cause the hair to be coarse and ugly.

A deficiency of some of the B vitamins, of iron, copper and iodine may cause hair disorders like falling of hair and premature greying.

• Brown Rice

• Lentils

• Sunflower Seeds

• Oats

• Quinoa

These all contain B vitamins and Biotin needed for healthy hair growth

Up to 90 percent of women who experience hair loss also suffer from low iron levels. Iron builds red blood cells, carries oxygen, and aids in hair growth.

Eat at least 3 daily servings of iron-rich foods

Vitamin C can increase iron absorption by as much as 30%. So drinking orange juice, eating strawberries, tomatoes, green peppers, etc. along with your iron-rich foods is a good idea.

Iron-rich foods include:

Eggs

Fish

Liver

Meat

Poultry

Leafy green vegetables

Whole grains

Almonds

Raisins

Cumin is very rich in iron (above 66 mg. in each 100 grams) which is more than 5 times the daily requirement of iron for an adult. Cumin boosts energy. It’s also anti-inflammatory and inhibits the buildup of harmful protein deposits in the brain to boost mental energy.

Raw liver

Cut into chunks and put in freezer for 14 days if possible to kill any minute germs that may be on or in it.

Pull out a chunk each day and cut into tablet size pieces when frozen (easier to cut while frozen). Voila - frozen liver tablets, with much more oomph than any liver capsules you can buy, also way cheaper!

Frozen – there is no taste or smell

Chug them down with water or citrus-based juice (which increases iron absorption)

It's easier to cut into small pieces while frozen.

You can have up to 10 liver 'tablets' a day - or more if you want!

A lot of people turn up their noses and reject the idea outright, but hey, it works - you don't get constipated, and energy recovery is very immediate (liver has an unexplained anti-fatigue effect).

If you know that you will need lots of energy for the day, you can have twice the normal dose.

If you’re worried about toxins in liver, remember that the liver is a filter of toxins, not a toxin storage area. The liver shunts the toxins off to other areas to be stored or excreted. Of course, it is more ideal if you can get organic grass-fed beef liver, but any healthy liver is better than none at all.

I have the liver daily, and have never had any problem.

Cooking liver makes it slightly less usable by the body for increasing ferritin. You have to have 4x the amount of lightly cooked liver to have the same effect as raw.

Foods rich in Biotin, B6, and B12

These 3 B vitamins promote growth from the follicle. Eggs are the best source, oral B-12, and or taking a good multi B vitamin.

Cheeses, salmon, nuts and nut butters

Silica aids in hair growth and makes the hair strong and shiny. The amount of silica that your body holds tends to decline with age. Good food sources include: beets, leafy green vegetables, bananas, and whole grains.

Sea salt – particularly Himalayan and Celtic Sea Salts – are full of minerals- 84 compared to 2 in refined table salt. If there is one thing lacking in modern diets, it is minerals, far more so than vitamins.

Use Seaweed Gomasio to season your food, rather than iodized salt. Seaweed Gomasio has a good source of iodine, which is essential for healthy hair. I get mine from amazon.

Increase your iodine intake with mineral-rich sea vegetables (agar, hijiki, kombu, nori, and wakame) at least twice a week.

Hijiki Seaweed has properties that are helpful for maintaining healthy hair.

You can eat as much seaweed as you want.

Brown seaweeds are highest in iodine. They include all forms of kelp.

Fucus, also known as Bladderwrack, is considered to be the best for underactive thyroids.

Hijiki and Sargassum are two other forms of brown seaweeds.

Red seaweeds include dulse, nori, Irish moss, and Gracillaria.

Since toasting doesn’t affect seaweed’s iodine content, you can eat it dried or dried and toasted.

Toast some in the oven or in a dry frying pan to see if you prefer that taste. You can also powdered seaweed to your food or add larger pieces of seaweed to soups, grains, or vegetables. Seaweed should be an enjoyable addition to your diet, not an unpleasant experience. If you simply don’t like its taste, you can get it in capsules.

Use 5-10 grams of mixed brown and red seaweed for thyroid problems. This is about 1 ½ teaspoons per day.

Not all seaweeds are safe to eat. Some come from polluted waters.

Be more cautious and talk to a naturopath if you’re on thyroid meds and want to try seaweed.

Eat more of the following foods rich in B Vitamins and other needed minerals and vitamins essential for hair.

Beef Liver

Brown rice

Bulgur

Cabbage

Citrus Fruits

Eggs

Leafy Greens including Spinach

Lentils

Nuts

Oats

Rice Bran

Salmon

Sunflower Seeds

Walnuts

Wheat Germ

Unprocessed Whole Grains

Make sure that your diet contains ample essential fatty acids.

Eat fish 2—3 times a week (not deep-fried) - salmon, sardines, herring, mackerel

Zinc strengthens and aids the natural oils that coat the hair shaft. Zinc is found in lean meats, nuts, chickpeas, pumpkin seeds and yogurt

Juicing veggies is very beneficial, for overall health also. Juicing is one of the best things you can do for your health and beauty. Try to juice as often as you can.

Lack of inositol causes loss of hair. Any person having trouble with hair should eat foods rich in inositol such as yeast, liver and molasses. Research has, however, shown that women have a low requirement of inositol. Although this vitamin may help to stimulate the growth of a woman's hair, its lack is probably not a major cause of slow growth. Women are generally deficient in iodine and vitamin B1, either of which can slow down circulation to the scalp to such an extent that hair may fall out and new hair grow in very slowly. Women who keep their diets adequate in iodine, the B vitamins and iron have a better growth of hair.

Essential Fats are needed for healthy hair and follicles:

• Oily Fish

• Nuts

• Seeds

Aim to eat fish 2-3 times per week and eat 2-3 tbsp of seeds per day.

Take warming herbs and spices to improve circulation – such as small amounts of cayenne pepper, as well as ginger, cinnamon, and cumin. Add them to soups, stews, and casseroles.

EAT LESS

The Standard American Diet is too rich in foods that actually starve the hair, such as fat, sugar, and refined foods.

Eastern medicine says that eating too much meat can cause hair loss. This might very well be true.

Cut down on sweets. Eastern medicine says that eating too much sugar can cause baldness on the sides of the forehead. Sugar is often a contributing factor in hair loss. After sugar is removed from some people’s diets, the hair-loss process is either halted or totally or partially reversed.

Sugar, refined carbohydrates, and alcohol can all raise blood sugar and insulin levels, which can have a negative effect on hair follicles.

Avoid wheat bran, tea, and coffee. These can interfere with the absorption of minerals, such as iron, needed for hair growth.

SUPPLEMENTS

Don’t depend only on supplements. Diet is very important.

I get most of my supplements from vitacost or amazon

NATROL BIOSIL is well-absorbed by the body and proven to deliver key proteins like keratin and collagen directly to the hair roots to increase growth and thickness.

Great for skin, hair, and nails

For severe hair loss: I would take 3 capsules per day for at least a few months.

Then go down to 2 capsules for another few months.

For maintenance and long-term use, 1 capsule per day should be fine.

HORSETAIL is a good source of silica which aids in hair growth and makes the hair strong and shiny. The amount of silica that your body holds tends to decline with age. Take 60 mg daily.

B COMPLEX – 50 mg twice a day or 100 mg once a day with meals.

B vitamins are essential for the health and growth of the hair. B vitamins run low during high-stress times and are essential for healthy hair growth.

Try to get a good B Complex that includes Biotin, Inositol, Choline, and PABA.

Avoid B Vitamins that are less than 10 mg. It's a red flag if the B vitamins are at such low levels that they are insignificant and unhelpful to the human system in creating a strong basis for protection.

BIOTIN plays a key role in forming keratin, a protein that comprises healthy hair. It helps in preventive treatment for baldness

It is interesting that biotin levels fall progressively throughout pregnancy (and that is when many women lose hair).

Taking a 5-10 mg supplement can thicken hair shafts and encourage new growth. Not everyone needs to take that much unless if they're concerned about hair loss. Most B-complex supplements have sufficient biotin otherwise.

There are no known cases of biotin toxicity, particularly since it is water-soluble.

Biotin is rapidly metabolized and excreted, so it’s easy to be deficient.

CARLSON’S LIQUID FISH OIL - or any other good fish oil. Healthy hair needs essential fatty acids.

ZINC protects and strengthens hair and may helps with hair loss.

15-50 mg daily, but do not supplements with more than 100 mg daily.

Use zinc gluconate lozenges or OptiZinc for best absorption. L-OptiZinc is a patented form of bio-available zinc. Bio-available means best absorbed

GLA SUPPLEMENTS are a type of omega-6 fatty acid that’s essential for healthy hair. They’re found in black currant oil or evening primrose oil.

Take it on a full stomach in 2 divided doses, equally spaced during the day.

Take up to 500 mg EPO 2-3 times daily or 2000 mg total daily.

Expect to wait up to 8 weeks to see results.

Don’t use GLA if you take an antiseizure Rx.

VITAMIN E – improves hair health and enhances hair growth.

Take 400 IU of vitamin E a day. Take d-alpha, NOT dl-alpha

Vitamin E is most effective when taken with selenium.

IODORAL

More than 90% of us are low in iodine.

Today's environment makes it almost impossible to get the amount of iodine you need.

1. There's very little iodine in the soil. So unless you're eating a ton of iodine-rich foods like kelp, seaweed and shellfish, you're not going to get much iodine from your diet.

2. Many salt companies have stopped adding iodine to table salt. While commercial table salt usually contains iodine, this is not the best way to boost iodine intake. In fact, “salt iodination, which is performed routinely in many countries, may increase the incidence of overt hypothyroidism,†a new Greek study concludes. Kelp and other sea vegetables are excellent sources of natural iodine.

3. Food manufacturers have stopped using iodine in baked goods and are using bromine instead. Bromine (a halogen) competes with iodine to get into your cells. So the more bromine you consume, the less iodine you get. Unfortunately, many foods today (primarily baked goods) are loaded with bromine.

4. Our water supply contains chlorine and fluoride, both of which are halogens. Again, halogens compete with iodine to get into your cells.

And you can't avoid chlorine and fluoride simply by drinking filtered water. That's because you get a hefty dose any time you bathe, shower, soak in a hot tub, or swim in a swimming pool.

5. Most conventional doctors never test for iodine deficiency. They figure there's no need to test iodine levels when they can just test your thyroid function instead. The problem with this is that the most widely used thyroid test, the TSH, is wildly inaccurate. Reason: While the TSH measures thyroid hormone, it can't tell the difference between active thyroid hormone with iodine and de-activated thyroid hormone with bromine or chlorine or fluorine. So the test shows you have plenty of thyroid hormone. But most of the thyroid hormone isn't doing its job!

I think it was Dr. Nan Fuchs who wrote: “I've had women come into my office who look like the poster child for underactive thyroid. They're overweight, they're losing their hair and eyebrows, their skin is dry, and they tell me they feel cold all the time. Yet when their doctor gave them a thyroid test, it came back normal!

When I put these women on iodine supplementation, their conditions improve dramatically. Their skin improves, they stop losing their hair, and they finally lose that excess weight — and keep it off.â€

The RDA for iodine is 150 mcg. This amount was set based on the amount needed to prevent goiter. This amount will prevent goiter but it will not prevent other problems related to iodine deficiency.

The average consumption of iodine from seaweed by the mainland Japanese is nearly 14 mg. They have some of the lowest incidence of iodine-deficiency diseases like goiter, hypothyroidism, and cancers of the reproductive system (breast, ovaries, and uterus).

Some forms of iodine are harmful. Iodoral is not. All of us need a combination of iodine and iodide, the two forms of iodine used throughout our bodies. Iodoral and Lugol are the only supplements containing these two nutrients. Lugol, however, tastes foul.

You may need 1 to 4 tablets of Iodoral, a combination of 5 mg of iodine and 7.5 mg of potassium iodide. Additional research finds that vitamin C improves the transport of iodine in the body, so it may be best to take Iodoral with Vitamin C.

Studies show that women who weigh about 110 pounds need at least 5 mg of iodine a day. If you’re heavier, you probably need more.

Start off slowly over a 4 week period.

Take 1 pill for 30 days

Then 2 pills for 30 days

Then maybe 3 for 30 days

Then 1 in morning and 1 in evening for 30 days

Can then go back to taking 1 or 2 a day to maintain

Your body will know. Learn to listen to it.

One Iodoral tablet provides 12.5 milligrams of iodine/iodide which is about the amount the average Japanese consumed in 1964 in their everyday diet.

Iodoral is the best way to get the recommended amount of iodine.

D3

If you're under 50, take at least 2,000 IU per day.

If you're 50 or over, take at least 5,000 IU per day of vitamin D3.

Always take your vitamin D with a fat-containing meal to ensure absorption.

Your need for vitamin D3 is affected by age, skin color, and the severity of any deficiency

PROTEIN POWDER

Hair is made of protein and adequate protein is necessary for luxuriant hair. Protein makes up the building blocks of healthy hair.

Women require 60 grams, men 80 to 90, adolescent boys and girls 80 to 100 grams of protein. It is supplied by plain yogurt, tofu, soy milk, eggs, cheese, poultry, meat and fish.

It’s very difficult to get enough protein from food alone, hence why many get great results from a good protein powder.

IRON SUPPLEMENTS

Up to 90 percent of women who experience hair loss also suffer from low iron levels.

Iron is a double-edged mineral for women. Menstruating women lose iron-rich blood every month, plus pregnancy, nursing, and strenuous physical exercise dramatically increase the need for this mineral.

But later in life, excess iron, which accumulates in the body after menopause, may increase women’s risk for cancer and heart disease.

Iron supplements may be used by tumors to promote their growth.

Iron oxidizes. If you take too much supplemental iron, it can lead to cancer. This is why there are few multivitamin formulas for postmenopausal women that contain iron.

Yellow Dock drops are said to be the best and healthiest source of iron. Drops, I think, are usually better absorbed than capsules. Alcohol-free ones don't taste as foul.

Spirulina – 5-10 grams a day or up to 20 capsules per day

Ferrophos is an inexpensive homeopathic iron supplement

Iron supplements should be taken only if you are diagnosed with iron deficiency.

If you must supplement, it is best to avoid staying away from the often-constipating prescription iron supplements. If you must supplement your diet and if you aren't using iron cookware regularly, for example, try taking 10 to 15 milligrams of elemental iron a day - Jarrow Formulas IronSorb Elemental Iron From Protein Succinylate -- 18 mg - 60 Vegetarian Capsules

Take the herb astragalus, which is a very good source of vitamin B.

Take digestive enzymes with meals to aid absorption of nutrients. You may also benefit from taking probiotics, as the beneficial bacteria in the gut produce some B vitamins needed for hair health.

Magnesium is needed for hormone balance.

The most absorbable forms are:

Magnesium Citrate

Magnesium Glycinate

Magnesium Taurate

Magnesium Aspartate

Magnesium Malate

Magnesium Succinate

Magnesium Fumirate

Supplementing with agnus castus may help in cases of female hormone imbalance.

OTHER TIPS/THINGS TO CONSIDER

Massage Scalp 1-3 Times a Day

Press the bristles of your brush on your scalp and make several strokes from your hairline to the base of your neck.

Then make small circles over your entire scalp.

Alternate these methods for 90 seconds.

Massage your scalp with a mixture of essential oils daily for at least 7 months. Add 8 drops each of Rosemary, Thyme, and Lavender essential oils to 8 ounces of shampoo. Pour a small amount of the mixture into your hands and rub it into your hair, gently massaging your scalp. Let the mixture sit for three minutes and rinse thoroughly.

Massage the scalp with a mixture of 1 tbsp olive oil and 15 drops of rosemary essential oil. This helps to improve circulation to the scalp and nutrient flow to the hair follicles.

Frederic Fekkai More Nighttime Follicle Boosting Treatment from sephora.com

The niacin-derived compounds stimulate blood flow and activate cell receptors that influence hair growth. After applying these compounds for 6 months, 69 percent of women with hair loss saw significant increases in fullness.

The most effective among home remedies is a vigorous rubbing of the scalp with fingers after washing the hair with cold water. The scalp should be rubbed vigorously till it starts to tingle with the heat. It will activate the sebaceous glands and energize the circulation of blood in the affected area, making the hair grow healthy.

Massage the scalp vigorously for 10 to 15 minutes (until you start to feel hot there) after bathing it with water. This stimulates the blood circulation and strengthens the hair follicles in the scalp.

Massage almond oil on scalp 2-3 times a day, daily. This will stop further hair loss.

Daily application of refined coconut oil mixed with limewater and lime juice on the hair, prevents loss of hair and lengthens them.

Apply a paste of hot olive oil, honey, and 1 teaspoon cinnamon powder before bath and keep on for 15 minutes.

Treat your hair gently.

Try not to use chemical hair dyes, use only natural products and a soft brush.

Do not towel dry or heat dry your hair.

Rinse your hair 2-3 times a week with a combination of sage and rosemary tea.

Lie Upside Down

Lie on a slant board OR have your head hanging off the edge of the bed for 15 to 20 minutes per day. This will cause blood to flow to the scalp. Blood flow and improved circulation are very important in preventing and treating hair loss. You an also massage your scalp while in this position.

Yoga

The regular practice of yoga and certain inverted poses help a lot in slowing down and preventing hair loss by boosting circulation. Specific Poses include:

Supported Shoulderstand

Downward Facing Dog

Camel

Big Toe

Child

Dolphin

Extended Puppy

Extended Triangle

Fish

Half Moon

Head-to-Knee Forward Bend

Intense Side Stretch

Legs-up-the-Wall

Plow

Revolved Head-to-Knee

Seated Forward Bend

Side Plank

Standing Half-Forward Bend

Standing Forward Bend

Upward Plank

Wide-Legged Forward Bend

Don’t overlook hormonal factors in hair loss. Lower levels of progesterone, particularly during perimenopause and menopause, increase the impact of androgens (male hormones) on the hair. A good natural, non-synthetic, organic, bio-identical progesterone cream, such as Emerita, is successfully used by many women to balance hormones, helping with myriad symptoms for women of all ages. By using a good bio-identical hormone cream, you can lessen hormone havoc as well as help prevent thinning hair.

Not all progesterone creams are alike. Ann Louise Gittleman also has one called ProgestaKey. I don’t know much about it.

Please keep in mind natural does not imply organic. Many of these creams have not only the main ingredients based on phytoestrogens, but also have the toxic xenohormones, parabens and mineral oil too. They are far from organic. So be aware and ask questions about your creams!

Apply ¼ to ½ teaspoon of the progesterone cream directly to your breasts morning and evening. More progesterone is absorbed into breast tissues when it’s applied to them directly, and that’s ultimately where you want most of the progesterone to go. Do not apply it to other areas, even if the instructions tell you to do so. Progesterone receptors are only found in the breasts (and ovaries), so apply directly to the breasts to decrease vascularity. For those who turn up their nose at progesterone creams, do know that that Prempro is very different from progesterone. The former is a synthetic, the latter natural. The effects on the body therefore are much different. Also, many women who took Prempro also took Premarin, which aggravated everything.

When you raise your progesterone levels with a bio-identical progesterone cream, which is absorbed transdermally in the fatty layer beneath the skin, your adronstenedione levels will gradually decline. The hair on your head may begin to grow back normally.

Regardless of age, practically every woman who takes a Salivary Hormone Test has been found to be extremely progesterone deficit.

An acupuncturist can help develop an herbal formula that is tailored specifically to you, in addition to using the traditional needles to help restore hair growth. Herbs have a greater synergy with acupuncture, so you may see a greater benefit if you use both.

Using a satin pillowcase may help because your hair is less likely to catch and pull on it as it would on a cotton pillowcase. A side benefit is that it helps save your hairstyle for another day, so you aren't pulling out more hair in the styling process. You can get them on amazon.

Use the most natural hair products you can find.

Look for ingredients such as biotin, silica, Aloe Vera gel, vitamins C and E, jojoba oils, chamomile, marigold, ginseng, or passionflower. Most health-food stores carry a variety of natural hair care products.

Hair is fragile when it is wet. Gently pat your hair dry and squeeze out remaining moisture with a towel.

Calm a hectic schedule. Stress signals the body to produce cortisol, which elevates levels of hair-loss-promoting hormones.

There are several brands of sulfate-free shampoo. Sulfate shampoos are said to cause hair loss in many people.

Traite by Mastey

Pureology

Onesta

Alter your hairstyle and part in order to avoid constantly pulling your hair in the same spot or direction. Amish women, who wear their hair pulled back tightly the same way every day of their lives, experience baldness at their part. Hair loss is often from the eternal ponytail.

Try to Avoid:

• Hard brushing

• Tight braids

• Pulling hair back too tightly can make the hair thin in the front

• Pulling hair too hard when blow-drying

• Blow drying if and when you can

• Commercial shampoos or rinses with artificial colors, preservatives, and dyes

• Any shampoo with Sodium Laureth Sulfate. It's the ingredient that makes the shampoo foam up.

• Harsh chemical products and hair spray

• Pantene products causes hair loss for many

• Never use a curling iron on wet or damp hair. This can cause serious breakage and damage in that spot. It is best to blow your hair all the way dry and not leave any wetness, not even a little.

• Avoid backcombing or teasing hair. It is damaging, plain and simple.

• Do not wash your hair with too hot water.

• Do not wash your hair more than twice a week.

• Do not comb the hair backwards. Use a good quality brush/comb. Avoid excessive brushing.

CAUSES

Dietary/Nutritional

Taking large doses of Vitamin A (100,000 IU or more daily) for a long period of time

Poor Diet and Vitamin and Mineral deficiencies – particularly iron, protein, biotin, and other B vitamins

Iron Deficiency (Up to 90 percent of women who experience hair loss also suffer from low iron levels)

Eating raw egg whites

Hormonal and Other Health Problems

Androgens (male hormones)

Discontinuing Contraceptive Pill

Female Hormone Deficiency

Menopause

If one is experiencing "male pattern baldness" type hair loss, where the hairline begins to recede and is thin only on top and not all over, it can be caused by Metabolic Syndrome. Fat distributed around the waist can actually cause a rise in androgens (male hormones) causing this problem. It can also revert back to normal if you can get the fat off your waist.

Pregnancy

Autoimmune diseases – the immune system attacks the hair follicles

Diabetes or High Insulin Levels

High Fever

Imbalance in Gut Bacteria

Acute Illness

Low Stomach Acid or Digestive Enzyme Insufficiency

Thyroid problem – especially if you have dry skin, weight gain, and fatigue

Thyroid dysfunction is a major factor in thinning hair. If you’re unable to lose weight but are losing hair (particularly in the eyebrows), consider a Tissue Mineral Analysis (TMA) test, which many have found to be a much more reliable guide to thyroid status than conventional blood tests. Using a small sample of your hair, TMA reflects how much thyroid hormone is utilized at the cellular level over a 3-month period, as opposed to blood values of thyroid (TSH, T3, T4) in the bloodstream at just one time.

Your hair is literally a blueprint, metabolically speaking. Tissue Mineral Analysis is a simple, noninvasive way to determine mineral imbalances—like too much copper—that can depress thyroid function and lead to hair loss.

PCOS can cause male-pattern baldness – one cause of PCOS is estrogen dominance. This hormonal imbalance is also associated with abnormal blood sugar levels, fat gain, and low adrenal function. Simply put, estrogen dominance occurs when there is more estrogen than progesterone in the system. Estrogen-like chemicals in the environment, emotional factors, stress, menstrual changes, and even lack of dietary fiber, which binds to excess estrogen to help move it out of the body, can all lead to this kind of hormone havoc.

Environmental sources of hormones include parabens in cosmetics, pesticides, plasticizers, and the estrogen-laden feed given to livestock to fatten them up. The trouble is today’s factory-farmed food fattens us humans up as well!

In addition to organic and grass-fed meats, a low-carb diet has been found effective for both PCOS and women going through perimenopause and menopause. Cutting out sugar and the reactive and processed carbs in grains will help immensely. Exercise helps normalize insulin and balance hormone levels, too!

Severe lack of natural progesterone—which is the flip side of estrogen dominance—may be the primary culprit. Starting in the teens and 20s, a skipped period (indicating the failure to ovulate, which is somewhat similar to what happens when women begin going through perimenopause and menopause) can cause the adrenal cortex to secrete the steroid androstenedione—instead of progesterone. An alternate chemical precursor to the production of other hormones, this steroid hormone is associated with some male characteristics, one of which is male-pattern baldness.

Chemicals, Drugs, Heavy Metals

Harsh Chemicals and Hair Dyes

Drugs – such as those used in chemotherapy

High concentration of Metals in the body

Radiation Exposure

Many Medications – those to treat arthritis, cardiovascular problems, depression, gout, high blood pressure

Antibiotics

Anti-seizure drugs

Excessive alcohol consumption

Circulatory Problems

Poor Circulation to the Scalp (daily scalp massage, brushing, lying on a slant board, yoga all help with this)

Skin Problems

Eczema

Ringworm and other Fungal and Skin Infections (biotin may help here)

Scalp Infections

Other Causes

Aging

Genetic Predisposition

Stress

Surgery

Sudden Weight Loss – yo-yo diet and years of constant dieting

Tight ponytails

WHEN TO SEE A PHYSICIAN

If you are losing large amounts of hair, see a physician. It is normal to lose 50 to 150 hairs a day. If your hair appears to be dramatically thinning, it might be a sign of an underlying condition. While culprits can be as serious as thyroid disease and lupus, hair loss is most often caused by poor diet and stress.

GOOD BOOKS

The Hair Loss Cure: A Self-Help Guide by David H. Kingsley

How to Beat Hair Loss by Antonio Alvi Armani, MD

TO REVERSE DRAMATIC HAIR LOSS by 40 percent or more – virtualrealityhair.com helps particularly in cases of severe alopecia or cancer treatments

The treatment is very expensive - $400 – and lasts for only a month (even through swimming, however). It can cover sparse patches with real hair that has been inserted into a nearly invisible second skin.

I, too have had hair loss since having my last child, who is now 7 years old. I feel like I have tried it all, and have had my thyroid checked, along with CBC for bloodwork, and everything came back normal. I will try adding some more of the foods to my diet, and see what happens. Just wanted to let you know that you are not alone in this hair loss thing!

things to check - thyroid, iron levels, B12 levels, hormonal imbalances. BTW,. my B12 and iron levels were not terribly low...and the B12 was at the low end of normal, but I had terrible symptoms and my body didn't recover until took the injections. So "normal" lab tests are not always the best indicator of health. Some people can be/feel very sick with normal lab ranges on some bloodwork.

I've lost a lot of hair (1/3 or more of my total hair) to low iron and low B12 levels. I now supplement both, B12 by injection.

You're not alone. Although my hair looks normal on my head, I am super frustrated with the sheer amount of hair that is always trailing on my shirt, all over the floor, in my hand if I run my fingers through my hair, and all over the tub when I wash my hair. It seriously drives me crazy. I'm going to make a strong effort to try some of the above and hope for a change.

Guest IdahoMtnMom

I am also 34 and I experiences major hair loss this past year. It is called 'telogen effluvium'. Mine was determined to be from a large physical and mental stress I had about 4 months prior to the hair loss starting. My thyroid was normal and I was 3 years post delivery of Molly(dd). There are a couple of thing they thought could contribute (I saw an interist, my OB, and a dermatogolist) one of which was the supplment DHEA. It can cause hair loss frequently.

Silly question: Is you hair on your legs growing as fast as it was? Or under your arms? DO yo have to shave as often?

Anyway.... I basically ended up cutting most of my hair off in April because I could not deal with the thin look I had. I was embarressed all the time when I went out :( I started using products like Healthy Sexy Hair and taking a very comprehensive diet regimine and my hair is growingback thicker than ever! I had to have it thinned last cut!!!!!!!!