Menu

A Parenting WWYD

What is your opinion of what these parents did:  

1. 1. What is your opinion of what these parents did:

• Acceptable
    • Bizarre but still acceptable
    • Unacceptable and borderline abusive
    • Other

I just heard the story of parents wanting to teach their 13 yob a lesson. They put two glasses in front of him, one with water, one with vodka and asked him to drink one (the one with water). He drank it. They then asked him to put the other liquid up to his lips, but NOT to drink and to say if he could tell the difference. The boy smelt it and said that he could tell it was different.

Then the parents gave him two spoons. One had quacamole and one had wasabi. He ate the guacamole and they told him to eat the other. He wasn't told what was on them. He knew it wouldn't be "good" and he didn't want to, so he said no and started to leave, quickly! The mom went after him, physically took hold of his arms and walked him back to the kitchen. She said that he didn't have a choice, that he had to eat what was on the spoon. The boy put it into his mouth and immediately spit it into the sink, then ran out of the room.

The boy had done nothing to be in trouble for. The parents wanted him to know the seriousness of what other teens do with alcohol since he was close to someone who got sick from experimenting.

The person who told me the story wanted my opinion on this, and after giving it, I wondered what other parents would say.

Honestly. I must be a dolt because I can't really figure out what the lesson is supposed to be?

Was this supposed to be a lesson on peer pressure?

I believe people have good intentions but are often misguided in the execution of their ideas.

The parents wanted him to know the seriousness of what other teens do with alcohol since he was close to someone who got sick from experimenting.

I just heard the story of parents wanting to teach their 13 yob a lesson. They put two glasses in front of him, one with water, one with vodka and asked him to drink one (the one with water). He drank it. They then asked him to put the other liquid up to his lips, but NOT to drink and to say if he could tell the difference. The boy smelt it and said that he could tell it was different.

Then the parents gave him two spoons. One had quacamole and one had wasabi. He ate the guacamole and they told him to eat the other. He wasn't told what was on them. He knew it wouldn't be "good" and he didn't want to, so he said no and started to leave, quickly! The mom went after him, physically took hold of his arms and walked him back to the kitchen. She said that he didn't have a choice, that he had to eat what was on the spoon. The boy put it into his mouth and immediately spit it into the sink, then ran out of the room.

I wouldn't have done that. If I wanted to make that particular point in that particular manner, I would have told him to just smell it and put it to his lips like he did with the vodka.

I don't think torturing the child is going to keep him out of trouble. I think they accomplished breaking down his trust of them.

I wouldn't have done that. If I wanted to make that particular point in that particular manner, I would have told him to just smell it and put it to his lips like he did with the vodka.

I don't think torturing the child is going to keep him out of trouble. I think they accomplished breaking down his trust of them.

:iagree: He did nothing wrong and they put him through that??

Honestly. I must be a dolt because I can't really figure out what the lesson is supposed to be?

:iagree: I'm glad I'm not the only one who doesn't understand.

I can't imagine making a kid of ANY age eating a teaspoon of wasabi. I *love* wasabi, but a TEASPOON would have the kid's eyes and nose running. He'd be quite uncomfortable. It's good that it wouldn't leave his tongue on fire for a long time like tobasco does.

ETA: I voted unacceptable, but unacceptable, bizarre and borderline abusive is my real opinion.

Edited by Denisemomof4

The boy had done nothing to be in trouble for. The parents wanted him to know the seriousness of what other teens do with alcohol since he was close to someone who got sick from experimenting.

The person who told me the story wanted my opinion on this, and after giving it, I wondered what other parents would say.

As a parent, I would think the child made the choice I would want him to make. When presented with the bad choice and even forced into taking it he ran the other way. I voted other.

Completely bizarre and unacceptable. And I think forcing the kid to eat something teaches the opposite idea. What if one of his friends tries to convince him to drink, and he just goes along with it?

Dumb idea all around. And why would they do that to a kid who hasn't even done anything wrong?

My thoughts exactly. I would have tried to run out of the room as well.

If I can't figure out the point, how is a kid supposed to?

:iagree:

I mean, I don't think it was abusive per se if they really felt like it was going to get across a serious lesson the kid needed to learn. Maybe borderline. But I don't get how it gets that lesson across, so that makes it totally bizarre and possibly abusive.

The twisted irony is that he tried to walk away from people who had power/influence and get away from something bad.

They wouldn't let him; but they expect him to do so with influential peers.

Sick.

Yeah, that's what I thought, too! What they taught him was how it feels to be victimized by people who are more powerful than you.

So, congrats to them for giving him a lesson on bullying, threatening behavior.

They told him not to drink it

They placed a glass of alcohol in front of him. That is considered "serving a minor," at least in Michigan.

And the question of where the OTHER teen in this scenario wasn't answered by the original person either. I think between that situation and this idiotic lesson, that at the very least CPS should be involved.

:iagree: I think these parents need to rethink their parenting plan. I find that a very bizarre story. If I don't understand the reasoning behind it, I highly doubt that poor child did!

I maintain that the "parents" of this boy broke the law by serving the boy alcohol. It is illegal to give a 13 year old child alcohol.

Call.the.police.

I should say that I don't actually know the parents involved. I was told about what happened by someone who does and wanted to know my opinion on what happened.

The twisted irony is that he tried to walk away from people who had power/influence and get away from something bad.

They wouldn't let him; but they expect him to do so with influential peers.

Sick.

:iagree:

Sick was my reaction as well. Scary parenting.

It's illogical. He says no to the alcohol, attempts to say no to the faux-alcohol and then is forced physically to drink it?

I drank a lot in my younger years, no one ever grabbed my arm and forced me to drink. I even said no and walked away a few times without issue.

So their point is peer pressure is so bad you'll be physically forced to drink? Is he joining a fraternity? Are parents allowed to haze their children now?

Bad logic, bad example, and poor way to approach peer pressure and pitfalls of drinking.