Menu

Say you were house-sitting and something got broken....

Ria

Here is the situation. I was dusting today (it doesn't happen often...last time was mid-summer) and I picked up a china dog figurine on the mantle. As I lifted it, one of the front legs fell off. Then I realized that the other front leg was missing entirely - the way the dog had been positioned on the mantle made it difficult to see the missing leg, and the other leg had been carefully put back into place to allow the dog to stand.

I then realized that when the dog fell off the mantle and onto either the cast iron coal stove or the slate hearth, the missing leg must have shattered. There were no traces of china...whoever found the broken dog must have vacuumed it up.

I have no doubt that my cats knocked the dog off the mantle. That's not the concern...it's just a mystery as to who would have put the dog back together and said nothing.

I was dumbfounded and asked the boys about it when they got home. None of them had a clue about it, and I believe them. I got it at a thrift shop, they know this, and they are the type to confess and say they are sorry if something happens. I texted my 19-yr old and he has no idea about it, either. Dh is equally clueless.

I have a friend who watches the cats for us when we are away. A few years ago the cats knocked another thing off the mantle, and my friend vacuumed the shards, and put the item back....just like this time. She never mentioned it. After I discovered it, I happened to say something to her about how I couldn't figure out what had happened, and then she told me the cats had done it, she had vacuumed, and forgotten to tell me.

And here we are again. The only logical explanation is that a cat did this while we were gone, and that my friend cleaned it up. But why put the dog back together (sort of) and say nothing? Again?

It is a mystery. I don't think I'm going to say anything this time, because I find the situation unsettling. I'm pretty easy to talk to, and I don't value "stuff"...it's just stuff. I would think my friend could talk to me - after all, she's not to blame for my cats' behaviors! My friend is somewhat insecure and I wonder if this plays into it. I just think it's really, really strange.

I could see myself completely forgetting this, even on more than one occasion. I might pick it up and set it back together when I find it. By the end of the night I wouldn't even remember I had done it. I certainly wouldn't remember to mention it when you returned a few days later.

I could see myself completely forgetting this, even on more than one occasion. I might pick it up and set it back together when I find it. By the end of the night I wouldn't even remember I had done it. I certainly wouldn't remember to mention it when you returned a few days later.

Ok. So maybe I shouldn't think this is as odd as I did. It doesn't matter, and I don't want to make my friend uncomfortable.

:iagree:

Me too. I would have put it back together thinking that perhaps you might want to glue together the pieces that are there. But then forgotten to tell you about it.