Menu

Are these topics normally in an Algebra 2 course?

My ds is using LoF Advanced Algebra. He is good at math, but not "genius," and he's done well with the LoF series. I was and am good at math. It wasn't what I studied in college, but so far, I've been able to help him on the few topics where he needed help.

Today he was doing Proofs by Math Induction. I've never seen this stuff in my life, and although after working through some of the problems with him, I have a basic grasp of what's going on, but I don't fully understand why we are doing the steps. These problems are HARD.

I started looking at what was coming up next, and there are other things I have never heard of in my life. I pulled up on the web the TOC for Lial's Intermediate Algebra, which dd14 will do when she gets to Alg 2, and it has all the stuff I remember from alg 2, but not some of the topics in LoF Advanced Algebra. I'm thinking that if some of these topics aren't normally covered in Algebra 2, I'll give ds credit for attempting to understand them and struggling with them, but if he doesn't master them, that will be okay. Here are the topics of concern:

Proofs by Math Induction

Linear Programming

Arithmetic Progressions

Geometric Sequences

Sum of a Geometric Progression

Permutation of n Things Taken r at a Time

Combination of n Things Taken r at a Time

We hit one of these "questionable" topics earlier: determinants. I went to Kahn Academy for help with that, and we managed to get a decent grasp of what was going on. But I just don't have hours and hours to spend on these higher math topics, even though I'd love to. I do have other kids to teach, and ds has other subjects that need his attention.

Thanks for your help.

Proofs by Math Induction

Linear Programming

Arithmetic Progressions

Geometric Sequences

All of those topics are in AoPS' algebra books. Some of the topics are in the Intro to Algebra book, some in the Intermediate Algebra book, and some in both books.

But isn't AoPS for advanced math people? So, not necessarily a "typical" algebra 2 course?

Yes, however much of the difficulty of AoPS is the depth and not necessarily different topics (although they do cover topics outside the normal scope).

For example, within sequences and series, they cover arithmetic sequences and series, geometric sequences and series, telescoping sequences and series, recursive series, Sigma notation, and nested sums, plus a few other topics.

ETA: Sequences, series, and induction definitely are difficult. Those three chapters are considered among the most difficult in Intermediate Algebra.

Edited by STEM

Hmm...interesting and reinforces what I said before about some series having it in Alg. 2, others in Pre-Calc. At any rate, I'm feeling more confident today. He did the final problem of the proof by induction "Your Turn to Play" on his own today, although he forgot to watch the Kahn Academy video first. He was looking at a problem we did together yesterday to help him remember the steps. And after I watched the KA video, I had a little better grasp of what we were doing and why, so I think ds will get it even better than I once he watches the videos.

I'm thinking that if some of these topics aren't normally covered in Algebra 2, I'll give ds credit for attempting to understand them and struggling with them, but if he doesn't master them, that will be okay. Here are the topics of concern:

Proofs by Math Induction

Linear Programming

Arithmetic Progressions

Geometric Sequences

I remember doing all but Linear Programming in High school. Inductive proofs are hard to understand, I'll give you that, but they do show an important part of math.

I wouldn't group the rest of these subjects together with proofs, though. The last two, permutation and combinations are (IMHO) lots of fun, interesting, and come up in the real world again and again, especially if you like playing board games with dice or card games.