Menu

Alcumus

You are welcome :D.

I'm pretty excited, too! I can't buy any AoPS books, yet!, due to the $$$ shipping...and I really need to focus on Latin....but playing with Alcumus and watching those videos is fun...and I have to do something when the baby keeps me awake at night, right?:tongue_smilie:

Thank you Tress! This is big. Very BIG! :D

Of course, dd has just announced that she will not be watching said videos. :glare: (oh. yes. she. will.)

So, any thoughts on the best way to use these? After the lesson and before the practice exercises?

ETA: who's the guy in the videos? Is that Ruczyk or someone else? just curious. I'm going to have to watch them all now.

Edited by wapiti

I have no idea, but I'm sure more experienced users will chime in.

I showed my dd the videos and she told me that we really need to work harder on her English (=foreign language), because she wants to work very hard on her math and she wants to use these videos when she starts with AoPS. How's that for motivation? :lol: (BTW, I'm not even sure if AoPS will be a good fit for her, but I *am* going to do AoPS with at least one of my dds...with 4 kids, I should be able to use it at least once, right?:D)

Thanks Jen! It's fun to see who everyone is, the wife, etc. - gives context.

ETA: I'm still sitting here watching these fantastic videos. I wonder whether he'll make videos for Intro to Algebra one day. Maybe right after he finishes the Prealgebra videos? :D

Edited by wapiti

I just signed on of my kids up and will probably follow with the next. On one hand intro to algebra is where they need to be. On the other they are making dumb mistakes because they've never been challenged enough to need to pay attention.

Cauliflower was getting down on himself because of the mistakes - and he is my more gifted math guy. I think the Alcumus problem sets will help him get his mojo back.

Ok, I'm not crazy, cause he's only just released the last of these to his class and one mentions his birthday coming up, which was Wednesday. :) He is busy, busy, busy.

My DD actually seems to like the videos, I've heard her more than once comment to herself under her breath that Mr. Rusczyk "is a genius". We do the portion in the book, the video, the exercises, and then alcumus. I am glad we are working through Prealgebra because my DD is still fighting about writing down her work. I will be interested to see how the Prealgebra carries over and prepares them for the Intro to Algebra by AoPS, especially since the alcumus overlaps.

Edited by melmichigan

My DD actually seems to like the videos, I've heard her more than once comment to herself under her breath that Mr. Rusczyk "is a genius".

I agree with your dd :)

We do the portion in the book, the video, the exercises, and then alcumus. I am glad we are working through Prealgebra because my DD is still fighting about writing down her work. I will be interested to see how the Prealgebra carries over and prepares them for the Intro to Algebra by AoPS, especially since the alcumus overlaps.

I was thinking something similar about preparing them for algebra, particularly with the habit of writing down the equation again after each change, and becoming more comfortable with using variables for all the numbers for the rules and such - that takes some sort of additional intellectual leap, I think. At least with the video, I'm not the only one who writes down the successive steps of the equation. I'm still trying to get dd to write more - sometimes she'll erase work so that just the answer is on her paper :glare:. If we can accomplish just one thing this year, LOL...

I plan to assign videos for part of her work starting on Monday (she's much more likely to do what's written on her assignment sheet than what I tell her). I think your sequence makes sense.

Dd did come over to have a look when she heard him say something was "ridiculous" and then she played with the video, pausing when he had silly facial expressions. So, at least she seemed to like him. Whether she'll pay attention to the math may have to wait until she has a reason to (when she needs to do some problems). baby steps... while I sit here glued to the video, wondering why the whole world isn't as fascinated as I am, LOL.

I'm so happy about the videos. A new day has dawned. I think having a different voice, with a different manner, going over the same topics (and doing a much better job than I do) will be a great reinforcement.

You are welcome :D.

I'm pretty excited, too! I can't buy any AoPS books, yet!, due to the $$$ shipping...and I really need to focus on Latin....but playing with Alcumus and watching those videos is fun...and I have to do something when the baby keeps me awake at night, right?:tongue_smilie:

Does it help if I tell you that UKMT will be stocking AOPS books soon? Sorry if that distracts you from the Latin!

Does it help if I tell you that UKMT will be stocking AOPS books soon? Sorry if that distracts you from the Latin!

UKMT?? What is UKMT? if that is a seller in the UK, then, yes, that is seriously going to distract me from studying Latin :D. Maybe I can bribe myself...after finishing a Latin lesson, I'm allowed a chapter in an AoPS book :lol:. Math is so much more my thing...

Thanks, Loesje!

I also asked christianbooks if they are going to carry the books. Haven't heard back from them, yet. Either way, with UKMT and maybe CBD...we should be able to get AoPS books in Europe without $$ shipping.

ETA: my apologies for hijacking the thread. AoPS gets me so excited :-D

Edited by Tress
ETA

• 3 weeks later...
What is the technology he's doing the lessons on? Not that I want to buy it or anything, lol. I was just trying to figure out what it is. :)

My guess would be a Smart Board. They act like a big computer screen (can show programs, videos, etc from your computer) plus a touch screen (can be 'written' on and erased).

My guess would be a Smart Board. They act like a big computer screen (can show programs, videos, etc from your computer) plus a touch screen (can be 'written' on and erased).

Oh man, I change my mind. That's awesome! I want one!!! :)

(Not that I'm getting one, but we can dream, right?)