Menu

What level is Conceptual Chemistry?

Hello Hive,

What grade is Conceptual Chemistry ISBN 978-0-8053-0579-1 intended for? I seem to recall some confusion but perhaps that was for Conceptual PHysics.

Let me rephrase my question....what grade level do HSers use this book for?

Thanks,

Capt Uhura

Edited by Capt_Uhura

Hello Hive,

What grade is Conceptual Chemistry ISBN 978-0-8053-0579-1 intended for? I seem to recall some confusion but perhaps that was for Conceptual PHysics.

Let me rephrase my question....what grade level do HSers use this book for?

Thanks,

Capt Uhura

My understanding is that all the Conceptual Chemistry editions are for college level non-science majors. I used it (partially) with 9th and 10th graders. We switched midyear to a program I like better (personal preference).

The Conceptual Physics has a high school text as well as a college text. When I compared them side by side, they were almost identical in content with the high school text having more illustrations and the explanations were sometimes more expanded. Most, if not all, of the problem sets were the same. Since there is no high school Conceptual Chemistry, you won't need to make the decision one has to make with Conceptual Physics :D

Ok fess up, what chemistry text are you using? :001_smile:

Thanks for the info, it was extremely helpful.

Capt Uhura

Well, I'm now using BJU Chemistry with the DIVE CD. My guys are science types, I'm a science major, so the "non-science major" stuff just wasn't my thing. I kept feeling like I wanted to add in so much more....so at that point I just decided to get BJU because it covered things the way I wanted them to be covered rather than trying to add in explanations and activities.

I know many have used Conceptual Chemistry and have been happy with it. :D

Yes, what did you switch to, please? I need a good text (have a great lab course, but need the written info to go along with it)....

I think you could use BJU easily with a lab course. Just align the subjects...I think Apologia might be harder andI know that Singapore O Level would be difficult to do with a pre-made lab course. ABeka might be a good possibility as well - I have never looked at it, but know some who have used it. I think any standard high school chemistry text (American-style) would be fine and should cover everything in your labs.