Menu

Really really dumb question about WWE and Read Alouds

BikeBookBread

I'm in week two of HS my second grader. I was preparing my lesson plans for the week in WWE1 and FLL1 and see that "The Adventures of Pinnocchio" is to be used for the read aloud for WWE. Am I supposed to be reading this BOOK to her as well in its entirety? Or am I to just pick out a few passages for the read aloud portion? I am a bit confused.

ETA: the WWE handbook just says to follow the pattern of "Copywork, Narration, Copywork, Narration" days 1 - 3; it does not give any specific passages to use. Is WWE used in conjunction with some other reading schedule from the WTM book proper that I am missing?

Edited by BikeBookBread

Are you doing the workbook or just the parent handbook? In the workbook, there are passages selected for you (they are cliffhangers and leave you wanting more of the whole book!). I don't have the handbook, but I believe you are supposed to select only passages from the book, but if you love it, there's no harm in reading the whole thing! We have found so many books we want to read by WWE!

Are you doing the workbook or just the parent handbook? In the workbook, there are passages selected for you (they are cliffhangers and leave you wanting more of the whole book!). I don't have the handbook, but I believe you are supposed to select only passages from the book, but if you love it, there's no harm in reading the whole thing! We have found so many books we want to read by WWE!

I have both, and in this particular case, there is no passage selected. The instructions for week two of the WWE handbook are as follows:

Choose sentences of five to eight words and narrations of around two paragraphs from the student’s history, science, and literature books.

Over these two weeks, look for copywork sentences that contain the

first names of particular people. Explain to the student that these are called “proper names†and should begin with a capital letter. Make sure that the student copies the proper names correctly. If the student randomly capitalizes other words, remind her to capitalize only the proper names as well as the first word in the sentence.

However, the workbook printout for Day 2 week 2 says, "From the Adventures of Pinnocchio... What is one thing you remember about the passage?"

The WWE workbook has the passages. You don't have to read the whole book, though you may want to after reading them. :D

If you're using the instructor text, you don't have to follow any particular reading list. You just pick your own passages out of whatever you are reading.

I find the workbooks VERY handy, as the work is all done for me. It's completely open and go!

However, the workbook printout for Day 2 week 2 says, "From the Adventures of Pinnocchio... What is one thing you remember about the passage?"

That sounds like you only have the student pages, not the whole workbook. You need the workbook itself. It has the passages in it.

I have both, and in this particular case, there is no passage selected. The instructions for week two of the WWE handbook are as follows:

WWE Workbook Level 1 - the passage is on page 4, the beginning of the book, in the section that outlines each day and week for the parent.

It means to choose a passage. The workbook shows exactly how long a passage should be (as the passage is printed in the workbook), as it is harder for a student to narrate a longer passage. Sometimes people have problems even with the whole workbook passages.

The passage should be (if I remember correctly) on days 2 and 4 of WWE1 workbook. I'm in an antihistamine haze, so I hope I make sense!

:iagree: Dd really gets into the passages and wants to read the whole book. We have added quite a few books to our reading list from reading the passages.

Here is a link to the sample from the workbook 1 to give you an idea.

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/store/media/downloads/pdfsamples/wwe1sample.pdf

So there are THREE materials for WWE?

WWE - Strong Fundamentals

WWE - Workbook

and a third ???

No, there are two formats.

The Strong Fundamentals book gives an over view of all of the levels. It gives you 6 weeks of examples in each level with an outline of how to proceed. Some people are savvy enough to use this guide and create their own material. Great!

For those of us who need more handholding, SWB created the Workbooks. There is one for each level. It is the plan that is presented in Fundamentals all fleshed out for you. All the books and passages are already chosen and worksheets are provided. The instructor portion guides you through narration and dictation and provides comprehension questions to ask your child. If you purchase the workbook in it's entirety you will receive the instruction portion as well as the worksheets for your child. It sounds like for some reason you only have the student worksheets.

ETA: I see you figured it out!

Edited by robsiew