Menu

Spectrum Chemistry + Math: 9th grade

Trying to figure out highschool math/science classes AND stay calm about it...

For a student who completes Alg. I in 8th grade, would Spectrum Chemistry be appropriate for 9th grade? Would Alg. II or geometry work best with this? I would have her do the Bridge the summer before.

If we did a second year of chemistry, what would be a good follow-up course? I've heard of Zumdahl, Tro, and Chang. Would these be too much (hard)? Would Prentice Hall or Holt be good to follow Spectrum? (We are not interested in trying for AP credit; I am hoping for a good foundation for biology and possibly A-P.)

I'm thinking we would do something like 9th: chem, 10th: adv. chem, 11th: bio, 12th: A/P. We probably just need good, basic courses that lay excellent foundations for college. I don't think we're looking at a science major... A job working with horses is most likely within an education field.

On-line or student-directed courses are a plus since I don't feel comfortable teaching upper level science. I'm not crazy about Apologia. DIVE seems dry. DD is more of a kinesthetic learner.

I'd like to do the physics, chem, bio. line-up in high school, but dd isn't crazy about the physics in our 8th grade physical science this year. We are doing physics and chemistry. I'm thinking chemistry would be a better fit for her in 9th. Of course, this could change the closer we get to the end of the year.