Menu

Can You Combine A Younger Child With BJU Science 7

I'm considering using BJU Science 7 or 8 with my daughter next year (with the DVD) and was wondering if it would be too advanced for my 4th grader to tag along on.

Just trying to simplify our day a bit and do one science curriculum... but I don't want to cheat my 4th grader out of science either. Or have it be so over his head that he doesn't understand anything.

Has anyone done this with any success? I think we are going to be moving to a state (we are military) that has more regulations and hoops for homeschooling families to jump through and I'm not sure how much of their testing/school work we will have to show to the school board. Is there anyway to "test" his knowledge using an advanced curriculum for a 9 year old?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

I'm considering using BJU Science 7 or 8 with my daughter next year (with the DVD) and was wondering if it would be too advanced for my 4th grader to tag along on.

Just trying to simplify our day a bit and do one science curriculum... but I don't want to cheat my 4th grader out of science either. Or have it be so over his head that he doesn't understand anything.

Has anyone done this with any success? I think we are going to be moving to a state (we are military) that has more regulations and hoops for homeschooling families to jump through and I'm not sure how much of their testing/school work we will have to show to the school board. Is there anyway to "test" his knowledge using an advanced curriculum for a 9 year old?

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

We did this!:001_smile: BJU Life Science was meant for my 7th grader. My sons, grades 5 and 2 watched the video with us. We used the CPO Focus on Life text to reinforce. I had the older boy read the corresponding text in the CPO book. Then he would write a summary in his notebook. The younger son dictated the information back to me, and I wrote his narration for him. Both boys drew diagrams of the subject at hand.

When we dissected, both boys dissected an earthworm. My 7th grader also dissected a frog and the 2nd grader was so fascinated that when she finished, he took over and investigated it even more.

I know my younger children benefitted from the 7th grade BJU Life course. Just make sure you have supplementary information for their appropriate age/developmental level.

A book that might go along with BJU 7 is: Christian Kids explore Biology

just a suggestion, no experience :)

This would be much more appropriate for a 4th grader. I am using Christian Kids Explore Chemistry this year with my 9 yo grader while the older girls do high school chemistry, and it is working out very well. It is very streamlined: informative text and then one meaningful activity.

The average 4th grader (even my advanced 9 yo) could not really "do" BJU 7: read it, answer the questions, master the material, etc. Your best bet, like pp have mentioned, is to get another text that covers similar material at a lower level. If you are getting the DVD anyway, watching it won't hurt, but he will need to repeat the course again later. Yes, much of it will probably go over his head, but he will get some of it.

A Beka 7 or another publisher's 7th grade book, maybe, but not BJU. :D