Menu

Like a blog post, but I don't blog. Musings from a former homeschooler who teaches

Ria, I think you are taking on too much in laying the blame for this at your feet.

Thanks, Jean. The troubling part is that we knew he had these tendencies, yet we did nothing because on paper he looked great (grades, sports, etc). I suppose, though, that this is one of those cases in which hindsight gives a perspective that simply wasn't available earlier. Put back in the same situation, not knowing what I know now, I would have done nothing different. It was his experience that changed how I view things with my other children.

• Replies 389
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

This is something dh and I have beat ourselves up over, and a big part of why we put the others in the school system.

Homeschooling was excellent for this child through middle school. It's the high school part that we wish we could do over. He homeschooled, went to an academic co-op, and took classes at the cc and a local private university. What he missed, though, was the crap that comes with high school...the busy work that has to be turned in in order to pass the class, the juggling a busy schedule while maintaining grades type of stuff. He was never pushed to do stuff he didn't want to do but HAD to do.

In college, you don't HAVE to go to class. No one is going to call mom and dad if you don't show up. Had he gone to high school, he would have learned that sometimes stuff just needs to be done. I seriously doubt he would have failed in high school because we would have been around to make sure he stayed on the straight and narrow path, lol. In college, he was on his own. He made some serious errors in judgement and is now paying the price.

As are dh and I. It's hard not to feel somewhat responsible.

Ria....don't kick your own butt. We do our best...with what we have at the time. Sometimes it works...sometimes not so much...but, there comes a time when the responsibility and choices become the kids. I know all kinds of kids....from all kinds of families....some within the same family...public, private, home schooled etc. Their outcomes can rarely be predicted. My home schooled dd late bloomer blossomed in college. My son...not so much. But, he has to make his own life. He never liked to work hard....I did make him. I made him hand in those dumb assignments...on time...because I thought it would build his character. He was expected to pitch in to the family business....then get a job on his own....but....the kid is still himself...kwim? Now, he is off in NYC, doing his own thing...not in the MARINES! I would be thrilled if he became a marine! But, is he a life failure?? No, I think he is happy, and just has to forge his own way. He teaches kids to swim at the Y...he takes some classes online....he kick boxes.....he is making himself his own life. Sounds like your son is doing the same. I know I feel regrets sometimes...thinking where did I make mistakes....but really....I tried my hardest...I am sure you did as well.

Anyway, I am rambling....I just wanted to let you know I hear you and I can commiserate.....and I think you are a wonderful mom.

:grouphug::grouphug:

F

I am just realizing myself that I am getting older. I AM that mother.

Heh! I've always been that mother--even before I was a mother. I'm not sure if that's a good thing or a bad thing! If you'd brought me my baby after that, I'd be crying all over your swimsuit in gratitude, of course. But I don't think that's an age thing, is it? I tend to think it's a personality thing--people can be idiots at any age (meaning the mom ignoring her toddler, not you, of course).

You're feeling overwhelmed, and yeah, that happens. Here's the thing, you need to connect these two. Those older mommas were telling you how to fix it. But the problem is that we have no magic sight into YOUR house, so the advice has to be hugely broad brushed-like you need a schedule. How that schedule looks is going to depend on YOUR family.

Right, of course. But my point is more that the more experienced moms think the answer is so simple, because they are past the years of making all-day snacks and training small children to clean up their stuff and being constantly called to wipe bottoms and clean up spills and on and on and on. They have older kids who are capable of helping, or they already have the experience of how to effectively train younger kids to be helpful, or they have older kids with fewer toys who don't knock their water cups over at least once a day, etc. To them, outside the situation, it's as simple as looking back and saying, "I just needed to set a routine and stick to it," but they may not remember the daily struggle with all the messy details. When you had 2-3 small kids, did you have a simple daily routine that you just stuck to that kept your house clean every day with no real effort? I remember Joanne once saying something like, when her kids were little, the best she could do for awhile was make sure there was a fire path through the stuff on the floor :D I'm hoping that if I see the top of my dining room table before the girls are teens, I'll be happy!

That's my point about looking at the younger moms posting now. This is a much bigger message board than it was 10 years ago, and it didn't even exist before that. So are you really seeing a difference between the moms then and the moms now, or are you just seeing a more comprehensive, warts-and-all view because of the dynamics of the board? The Internet? The homeschoolers you tend to spend time with now? (And I don't mean JiP!) Did homeschooling moms 10-15 years ago really have to walk 10 miles to park days, in 5 feet of snow, uphill both ways? Or are we just prone to sharing more of the ugly realities because we're so anonymous to one another?

Hmmm...there was something else I was going to say, but my head is pounding so badly right now, I can barely sit up. I'm off for a little while. If I remember my last point, I'll come back and post it!

The not-needing-to-study-so-I-didn't-develop-study-skills-so-college-came-as-a-nasty-surprise is something that crops up regularly on the accelerated board.

Hugs, Ria. I know what you mean about learning to put up with useless junk. My husband and I have worried about this with our children, too. Our ability to just wait out a bad situation and our patience with stupid people and the stupid things they require us to do has stood us in good stead. We learned to do that in public school. Dealing with almost any government agency involves "skills" (more like anti-skills, actually LOL) that are a lot like the ones we developed in school. On the other hand, many people who were public schooled (or private schooled) follow the exact same path that your son has followed. I personally know a few. If you go to the accelerated board and do a search for study skills or persistance or doing hard things, you will turn up stories from the parents of not having learned persistance and patience with red tape and such. I, too, am dreadfully worried about exactly the things that you are warning about. But I began my homeschooling journey by putting one in public school for high school. Believe me, that did not go well, either. I concluded that no matter what the disadvantages, we were better off homeschooling.

In my experience, it is difficult just to keep one's teenagers and young adults alive.

Hugs, hugs, and more hugs,

Nan

The not-needing-to-study-so-I-didn't-develop-study-skills-so-college-came-as-a-nasty-surprise is something that crops up regularly on the accelerated board.

Hugs, Ria. I know what you mean about learning to put up with useless junk. My husband and I have worried about this with our children, too. Our ability to just wait out a bad situation and our patience with stupid people and the stupid things they require us to do has stood us in good stead. We learned to do that in public school. Dealing with almost any government agency involves "skills" (more like anti-skills, actually LOL) that are a lot like the ones we developed in school. On the other hand, many people who were public schooled (or private schooled) follow the exact same path that your son has followed. I personally know a few. If you go to the accelerated board and do a search for study skills or persistance or doing hard things, you will turn up stories from the parents of not having learned persistance and patience with red tape and such. I, too, am dreadfully worried about exactly the things that you are warning about. But I began my homeschooling journey by putting one in public school for high school. Believe me, that did not go well, either. I concluded that no matter what the disadvantages, we were better off homeschooling.

In my experience, it is difficult just to keep one's teenagers and young adults alive.

Hugs, hugs, and more hugs,

Nan

Nan, you are my hero! :001_smile: Thanks for saying this.

Honestly, the college fail-out rate for freshman hailing from our local ps, is...criminal. Putting up with crap, stupid assignments, and idiots...well, they have a lot of that going on and it isn't preparing anyone for college either.

I worry, dh worries, every parent homeschooling a high schooler I know worries. But, there is one thing I absolutely do know. If the student has had poor academic preparation, they are at a huge, high risk of failing out. No matter what, one cannot manage freshman college English Lit at an institution of decent repute, if one never read and discussed a single work over a 5th grade level - the average reading level of the books assigned in our local high school. I'm pretty certain my kid can learn how to cope with an awful lot, but not huge, gaping, maws of academic vacuum.

Ria, I am sooooooooooo sorry you feel so acutely that you failed your son. But, it has been my experience that personalities vary so widely that one could not make the assumption that he would have been successful if he had been placed in ps. or private for high school. It doesn't necessarily follow. Now, maybe your local school is a lot better than mine and he might have done better...Creekland is teaching in an academicly low achieving school and has had to concede that when we compare apples to apples, my school district wins the "ignorance" award.

However, now that dd is in pre-med and we are seeing kids from all walks of life, ps, private, highly rated schools, low rated schools, every kind of school in between, and homeschooled, the homeschooled kids are statistically winning with a couple of really awesome private schools running close behind. Yet, she is still hard pressed to meet a ps. kid that isn't struggling. Most of the ps kids who started pre-med with her have already dropped that major and she estimates that of those, 20% have dropped out of school all together as they are completely overwhelmed. Hopefully, some will mature, figure it out, and be back. It's so hard to say.

So, please...take heart and don't assume you did your boy a disservice in homeschooling him. You did the best you knew to do at the time and that is all ANY of us can do!

For what it is worth, my dad was similar to your son. He loved math and science and seriously applied himself only to those disciplines. He refused to spend any time accomodating subjects in which he had no interest. He skipped a lot of classes, graduated near the bottom of his competitive public school class. It took him a little bit to grow up, but he did and he is a successful business owner who lectures all over the state at contractors seminars and building code inspectors training sessions.

I'd also like to say that I am blessed to have your son serving my country and I am very sorry he is in harms way. :grouphug:

Faith

With the exception of Kari in SC and a few others here, most of this board doesn't have a clue what Ria is experiencing.

Not. a. clue.

If her fingers are typing faster than her thoughts are processing and she doesn't manage to precisely tell a few thousand strangers her every painful detail and OH MY GOD -- comes across as rude instead of blissfully loving to everyone's sensitive ears...

Suck. It. Up.

She's trying to convey things as best she can - attempting to show those with youngers that yes, it can seem deceptively simple and still all go to h3ll. That there are things one can do ahead of time to (try and) avoid pitfalls. That yes, even one's perfect little angel may go "splat" academically, socially, or whatever - and that it never hurts to prepare for it, whether or not it actually happens. Because if / when it does, there is a lot of hurt to go around.

As the saying goes here, put on yer big girl panties - homeschooling ain't for wimps.

asta

Nobody is denigrating Ria's experience with her son. Or anyone else's experiences with their kids.

I agree that you need to put on big girl panties and get to work. That's part of parenting and it's part of being a teacher too. No one has perfect teachers even in a homeschool environment and even if you are an autodidact.

Yes, there are things to watch out for. And there are good suggestions for possible ways to avoid certain pit falls. But no one has guaranteed results in parenting or in homeschooling or in the most expensive top notch school out there. I hope that by making occasional checks on our progress and making occasional course corrections I can do "my best". I hope that my kids will be doing the same (esp. my high schooler) because as someone else pointed out, once our kids are older a lot of it falls on them too.

Our best might not win awards but I don't think they will be failures either. I think that the few examples I know of "homeschool failures" have been situations where no one - adults or children have done their best. I say this because by their own admission they did not work hard at it. I think there should be standards - high ones for education. But I don't think that these standards are unattainable at home by any means. And I don't think think that the only way they are attained is by us getting ulcers.

Don't worry, peeps...I don't feel as though I'm being denigrated.

I had twins. They had the same homeschool experience. One graduated magna cum laude from a university. One did so poorly that he was removed from school (after his first year we gave him 2 semesters to shape up...he knew the consequences would be removal from university - ultimately the choice to fail does rest on his shoulders). So, one whopping success and one whopping failure...and we chose to base our decisions about our younger kids on the failure, not the success. I don't regret that decision; given the personalities and abilities of our younger kids I'm comfy with that (there were other circumstances involved as well, financial stuff, etc).

For those who feel I've come across as rude, I'm sorry. I've managed to pop in and out of this thread. The tone today was in part from being at work and trying to type in a rush before my lunch break was over.

I miss the old boards. We used to have such good discussions. Rarely did people get their panties in a twist such as in this conversation...we talked, we argued, but ultimately we learned to see things from different perspectives. It was, and is, healthy to do so.

I believe it was in that spirit that Joanne posted originally. That is how I responded. It really wasn't a personal attack on anyone...just musings, different perspectives, and all that.

Thanks for saying that, Colleen :grouphug: I so hope you're right. There's so much pressure to get everything exactly right. Get enough exercise! Make sure they don't go to college with those writing writing deficiencies HSers seem have! But make sure they also don't have those math and science deficiencies either! And don't forget nature study! Teach them that schoolwork's not optional when they're young, but don't use a curriculum, let your babies be babies! Teach them how important the arts and humanities are--do plays and sing songs, but make sure your academics are rigorous enough too--remember, writing...science...math! Make sure they can participate in the Great Conversation, they have to be culturally literate! But make sure you minimize bad influences! And they have to be socialized--they can't go to college and be seen as social morons who can't find their way to their buildings. But not too socialized, like those PS kids who don't care about anything but texting! Get out of the house and take classes and meet people--but don't forget that rigorous academic day! And take time for yourself or you'll burn out!

It's all very conflicting and overwhelming, and there really seems to not be enough time in the day for all of it.

:iagree:

Totally on the bold. I'm not necessarily pro-co-op. ;) I'm anti-anti-co-op.

I believe that the best homeschooling includes finding the right outside help, which may or may not be co-op.

Not so convinced on the italics.

I'm pro quality learning. I am anti busywork and anti group "learning" that is really social hour.

So I guess at times that is going to make me very pro sit on the couch and read the Shakespeare play outloud with your family and pro sit at the table and work the algebra lesson again with me until you understand what you're doing.

And I'm going to be anti waste several days out of the house building lap books when you could be learning to write paragraphs and essays.

We are doing coop about 4 hours a month. That gives us access to some nice extra curricula activities like art and chess and creative writing. I'm not outsourcing core subjects to this group because the teachers have not yet struck me as teaching classes they have deep background and passion for.

I think that it is easy to blame the educational environment (for both homeschoolers and public schooled kids) for what is in part the follies of youth and in part the consequences of certain parenting styles. Homeschooling is not a cure all for social ills. Neither are coops.

It can be easy (especially in an area where the schools are poor) to think that homeschooling can't be any worse than what is down the street. I've fallen into that a bit myself. But that doesn't mean that there are no challenging school environments. Or that there are no caring and involved public school parents.

Maybe the reason why some homeschoolers don't do well at coop classes is because some coops aren't very demanding.

ETA: I know I used to spout a lot about how I would "just" avail myself of coops when we got to high school or when the kids outpaced me. I'm less sure that this is a route we'll pursue. Not because I am concerned that someone might tell my kid to sit down, shut up and do his work; but because I'm not convinced there are enough coops that would really present a rigorous set of courses.

I miss the old boards. We used to have such good discussions. Rarely did people get their panties in a twist such as in this conversation...we talked, we argued, but ultimately we learned to see things from different perspectives. It was, and is, healthy to do so.

I was on the old boards too. And people did get their panties in a twist. I remember two people specifically who left the boards over things said on the old board. We talk, we argue and ultimately learn to see things from different perspectives on this board too. We've seen it even in this thread as people have come back and clarified or asked for clarification.

Don't worry, peeps...I don't feel as though I'm being denigrated.

I had twins. They had the same homeschool experience. One graduated magna cum laude from a university. One did so poorly that he was removed from school (after his first year we gave him 2 semesters to shape up...he knew the consequences would be removal from university - ultimately the choice to fail does rest on his shoulders). So, one whopping success and one whopping failure...and we chose to base our decisions about our younger kids on the failure, not the success. I don't regret that decision; given the personalities and abilities of our younger kids I'm comfy with that (there were other circumstances involved as well, financial stuff, etc).

For those who feel I've come across as rude, I'm sorry. I've managed to pop in and out of this thread. The tone today was in part from being at work and trying to type in a rush before my lunch break was over.

I believe it was in that spirit that Joanne posted originally. That is how I responded. It really wasn't a personal attack on anyone...just musings, different perspectives, and all that.

:grouphug: and thanks for sharing more of your story. I hope you'll stick around and give some specific input on teaching - THOSE are the kinds of posts I really love to read - how to teach different things.

There ARE still good discussions that happen around here, too. Maybe you just missed them from taking a hiatus.

:grouphug: to you also for missing your son.

Tibbie Dunbar: I'm 'against' co-ops but only because I find them to be as useless as Sunday schools for my own particular children. They are exercises in boredom, at best, and I don't like my children to equate learning with boredom.

I always knew that I would want to integrate my children in outside classes as well, so when they were 5 and 7 we had our first co-op experience. By "co-op", I mean that there was a requirement that ALL Moms teach something. I quickly learned how erratic this experience could be. Some Moms, often former great teachers who just wanted to stay home with their own kids when they were little, were fantastic. Others should not have been teaching ANYONE. Some of those simply printed off worksheets from the internet every week and brought them in. I believe everyone should participate in co-op, just that everyone is not gifted to teach. I am not particularly gifted to teach, but I did teach a Constitutional Law class to some teens, which I and they enjoyed (have a law degree). I also held some babies.

Our later 2 experiences were with organizations that are called co-ops, but were taught by professional teachers, who just happened to be stay-at-home Moms now. Most of these experiences were pretty good, but the earlier one, for mainly young children, still got into Moms who just wanted to teach in order for their kids to get free tuition, not because they were good teachers. My kids are on the advanced side, so it mattered to me!

Our current experience is basically a Christian school 2 days a week, with homeschooling and doing homework for those classes (and there is a lot) on the other days. This is a high quality situation and I've been very pleased.. These are actual good teachers with loads of experiences.

Everyone has gifts. Just everyone is not gifted TO TEACH. So I want the best teachers doing the teaching, those who are superior to me in skill in those subjects. This isn't cheap, but it's worth it, in my view.

As an additional bonus, there are no adjustment periods when your kids go into classroom settings later. They already know how to behave, how to study, how to test. I think this is important, especially for those kids who are intending to go to college and grad school. I homeschooled one through 8th grade, while also doing some outside classes and she is now in a classical school in order to study Latin. Because of a FANTASTIC home school Mom (who actually was NOT a teacher but was excellent) who taught her Latin and demanded excellence (only 1 hour a week + homework!), she was placed in AP Latin as a Sophomore where she is maintaining a 100% average 6 weeks in. The other is doing the 2 day a week school. His first week he had 10 hours of homework a day. He quickly learned how to work efficiently. Today he worked for 2 hours and is maintaining A's in all classes.

So, the joint method worked for us, so far. But I think it was important to avoid those low level classes taught by Moms who just wanted to teach in lieu of tuition or were forced to teach. So this is how I had to do that, while still exposing them to subjects which I don't feel qualified to teach.

I also don't want them to learn the ways that homeschoolers fake learning, and we've seen that in co-ops, too.

Sure, but they are going to run into this everywhere. Church, school, workplace. There will always be posers, and it is good to let them experience this early on to see how it really doesn't benefit the person.

IMVHO (and experience), co-ops are a great opportunity for people who are homeschooling because they couldn't get along with others to try to boss each other around. Queen Bees. Wannabees. Dysfunction

Wow, sorry you had this experience. I wouldn't want to be there either! The director really sets the tone and you need to find a good one who isn't a Queen Bee. I found two of them over the years, though we did have a set of Queens running one co-op when the kids were really little, but they couldn't get along with each other or anyone else and it closed down.

Now, if I were ever able to find a diverse, high-caliber, rigorous or accelerated co-op taught by a person more qualified than myself (for a price I could afford, within easy driving distance), I'd probably give it a try, but the co-ops I've found around here are a waste of time.

Well, they are out there! Don't give up if you are really interested.

My children participate in sports, Civil Air Patrol, and other civic and community organizations of many kinds. They get lots of opportunities to follow the leadership of adults who are nothing like their mother. I don't hover, either, or try to micro-manage CAP commanders or TKD instructors, so I'm not worried that my kids will be too dainty to hear someone tell them to knock it off.

That's good.

So I guess I'm having a problem with the paradigm presented in the OP. I think I can be 'against' co-ops but still be 'for' independent, non-sissy kids who are able to learn from and spend time with a wide diversity of people

Yes, you can! And it doesn't sound like you are so much "against co-ops' in principle, but in experience and practice the way you have seen it done. And I'd agree with you.

I always knew that I would want to integrate my children in outside classes as well, so when they were 5 and 7 we had our first co-op experience. By "co-op", I mean that there was a requirement that ALL Moms teach something. I quickly learned how erratic this experience could be. Some Moms, often former great teachers who just wanted to stay home with their own kids when they were little, were fantastic. Others should not have been teaching ANYONE. Some of those simply printed off worksheets from the internet every week and brought them in. I believe everyone should participate in co-op, just that everyone is not gifted to teach. I am not particularly gifted to teach, but I did teach a Constitutional Law class to some teens, which I and they enjoyed (have a law degree). I also held some babies.

Our later 2 experiences were with organizations that are called co-ops, but were taught by professional teachers, who just happened to be stay-at-home Moms now. Most of these experiences were pretty good, but the earlier one, for mainly young children, still got into Moms who just wanted to teach in order for their kids to get free tuition, not because they were good teachers. My kids are on the advanced side, so it mattered to me!

Our current experience is basically a Christian school 2 days a week, with homeschooling and doing homework for those classes (and there is a lot) on the other days. This is a high quality situation and I've been very pleased.. These are actual good teachers with loads of experiences.

Everyone has gifts. Just everyone is not gifted TO TEACH. So I want the best teachers doing the teaching, those who are superior to me in skill in those subjects. This isn't cheap, but it's worth it, in my view.

As an additional bonus, there are no adjustment periods when your kids go into classroom settings later. They already know how to behave, how to study, how to test. I think this is important, especially for those kids who are intending to go to college and grad school. I homeschooled one through 8th grade, while also doing some outside classes and she is now in a classical school in order to study Latin. Because of a FANTASTIC home school Mom (who actually was NOT a teacher but was excellent) who taught her Latin and demanded excellence (only 1 hour a week + homework!), she was placed in AP Latin as a Sophomore where she is maintaining a 100% average 6 weeks in. The other is doing the 2 day a week school. His first week he had 10 hours of homework a day. He quickly learned how to work efficiently. Today he worked for 2 hours and is maintaining A's in all classes.

So, the joint method worked for us, so far. But I think it was important to avoid those low level classes taught by Moms who just wanted to teach in lieu of tuition or were forced to teach. So this is how I had to do that, while still exposing them to subjects which I don't feel qualified to teach.

Sure, but they are going to run into this everywhere. Church, school, workplace. There will always be posers, and it is good to let them experience this early on to see how it really doesn't benefit the person.

Wow, sorry you had this experience. I wouldn't want to be there either! The director really sets the tone and you need to find a good one who isn't a Queen Bee. I found two of them over the years, though we did have a set of Queens running one co-op when the kids were really little, but they couldn't get along with each other or anyone else and it closed down.

Well, they are out there! Don't give up if you are really interested.

That's good.

Yes, you can! And it doesn't sound like you are so much "against co-ops' in principle, but in experience and practice the way you have seen it done. And I'd agree with you.

But see, this is what I don't get. I require my students (ie. my kids) to behave in class at our home. They are also required to behave in public, including lectures, plays, church. Sunday school classes. If my kids did not study at home they would not pass their classes at home. My kids have some tests esp. from middle school on. They are graded with real grades, the same grades I would give them if I were in a classroom grading a whole classroom of kids. We are required to test yearly (or do a portfolio but we've chosen to test) and my kids know how to fill in bubbles. From tests at home they know how to do short answer and essay tests too. They know how to participate in class discussions from church. They even know how to do school work with the incidental distractions that happen in larger settings. I can't think of one possible thing that I haven't mentioned that they would have to go to even a well done co-op to learn - other than content, of course, and I can even teach that at home. It doesn't mean that you can't go to a co-op and learn those things. But this idea that you HAVE to go to one to get these skills is simply not true, in my opinion.

New Boards, I posted on the Old Boards, I knew the Old Boards, the Old Boards were friends of mine. New Boards, you're no Old Boards.

:tongue_smilie:

:leaving:

LOL. I understand. I must be old! :D

And Asta, thank you. So much. I seriously had a bad time for a while there after the threads this afternoon. I tried running it off only to have a panic attack in the middle and thought I would die since I was already breathing hard (elliptical...40 minutes...yeah, I needed to work this off). Calmed down....talked myself down...and later saw your post. It helps. A lot. :)

ETA: The panic attack was thinking about ds and all that has happened. For those who want all the gory details, once he was removed from college he was given an ultimatum of sorts. He had major debts ($26K). He was not going to live here and do whatever. He could either find gainful full-time employment, work part-time and go to the cc (paying his own way and working on paying back his loans). He chose the Marines, but in the year-long period between recruiting going to boot camp he worked. Has paid off the debt (with what he earned, plus using what was left of his college fund from us to do so...he does have a good number of credits...not like he failed everything, lol).

Edited by Ria