Menu

The Good Earth-I read this about every other year or so

The Count of Monte Cristo

A Tale of Two Cities ♥♥♥

Mansfield Park

I also like some "historical fiction" and one that I've read a few times is Something Wonderful by Judith McNaught

I like Regency mysteries (not of the romance novel persuasion) too. My favorite series is the Sebastian St. Cyr series by CS Harris. Genius books. Each has their own storyline, but there is an overall plot arc, so they must be read in order. I'm dying for the next one to come out, but it won't until March or June of 2012! Boo.

The teaser for the books reads:

Regency England. The age of Napoleon and Jane Austen, of Beau Brummel and Lord Byron. Ladies wear filmy dresses and dampen their petticoats, while gentlemen duel with pistols at dawn and agonize over the cut of a coat. Fortunes are won and lost at the turn of a card, a decades-old war has turned Europe into a ravaged battlefield, and in London, a child of six can still be hanged for stealing a handkerchief.

This is the world of Sebastian St. Cyr, Viscount Devlin. Heir to an earldom, disillusioned Army officer, latter day knight errant.

A master of disguises. Sebastian moves easily from the ballrooms of Mayfair to the rookeries of St. Giles, from the exclusive men's clubs of St. James's to the dangerous docks of the Thames.

Think Mr. Darcy with a James Bond edge...

Hey, with a James Bond edge! Of course I have to like them!

:iagree:

They are my favorites.

I also read Jane Austen over and over. Any of them depending on my mood, Persuasion is my favorite and Northanger Abbey is my least favorite.

I would have committed sabaku at this. I don't think I could receive that sort of dressing down from a Mr. Tilney that I quite liked and continued breathing. I cannot read it without cringing. :lol:

To Kill a Mockingbird is another favorite.

Good Omens

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier. I do NOT like My Cousin Rachel by the same.

I always liked Lucy Maude Montgomery and her books, one can never decide whether one wants to be Anne or Emily. :)

I love Kurt Vonnagut

I forgot to add Persuasion to my list! and I totally agree about My Cousin Rachel. I threw the book across the room when I read the ending! gaaah!!

Like so many here, I have favorites, not a favorite.

Some of them:

Little Women Alcott

The Eight Neville

Katherine Seton

The Count of Monte Cristo Dumas

The Kite Runner Hosseini

Rebecca Du Maurier

To Kill a Mockingbird Lee

The Book Thief Zusak

A Tale of Two Cities Dickens

Pillars of the Earth Follett

All of the Harry Potter books!

Edited by Imprimis

Oh, there are too, too many to name! This summer, I re-read Wuthering Heights to see if I still felt the same about it as all the other times I've read it over the years (I did). I also read Frankenstein for the first time, and found that the characters reminded me of those in Wuthering Heights. I believe I'll be reading it again....

I re-read Mary Stewart's series on Arthur, adding in books in the series that I had not read before. I love it and prefer it to many other works on Arthur I've read in past. I re-read White's Arthur books and found that I did not love them as much as I did when younger. I think I've come to value those works that take a more historical look at Arthur as a potentially real person....

I read Huxley's Brave New World and appreciated it (especially in light of the time period when it was written), but don't think I would want to read it again. It reminded me of The Giver (which also made me very uncomfortable - and both remind me of Soylent Green)....

I haven't read Tolkien's books for a while, but they are some of my favorites (I especially like the Silmarillion, but only after reading the rest). Maybe I'll turn to those next.

I'm waiting for a new book by Javier Sierra to come out at the beginning of November. He writes religiously related fiction (The Secret Supper, Lady in Blue).

I'm waiting for the next book by Kathleen McGowan, who is doing a fiction series related to gnosticism. I don't know that I'd read either her or Sierra's books again, but I'm enjoying them....

I re-read Mary Stewart's series on Arthur, adding in books in the series that I had not read before. I love it and prefer it to many other works on Arthur I've read in past. I re-read White's Arthur books and found that I did not love them as much as I did when younger. I think I've come to value those works that take a more historical look at Arthur as a potentially real person....

You might also like Bernard Cornwell's Winter King. I had to read it in an English Lit. class on Arthurian Legends alongside White's and Malory's versions (plus a few others), and I really loved Cornwell's historical perspective. :)

Do you live in the UK? I love the Cazalet's and Rosumunde Pilcher too. About 10 years ago I went to the village in Cornwall that she was staying in while writing the Shell Seekers, it brought it to life.

No, haven't even visited there. Maybe someday...

That's so cool you got to visit the Shell Seekers village!

I really love a novel called The Bird Artist by Howard Norman. Only one person I've met has read it, but I've probably read it 15 times. Can't explain it - it just hooks me.

I read The Bird Artist some years ago for my book group, so add me to your tally of readers. It didn't have the impact on me that it had on you, but I found it an intriguing read.

Regards,

Kareni

I asked because I have such a hard time choosing books. I've rarely met a book I didn't like. And I think I love the written word and the feel of a book as much as I love the stories for themselves, if that makes sense. Thanks for the great ideas!!

Oh. Some of my favorites:

-A Song of Ice & Fire (the Game of Thrones Series)

-Christ The Lord: Out of Egypt by Anne Rice (Ok... pretty much anything by Anne Rice)

-To Kill A Mockingbird

-Maeve Binchy-- The Copper Beech, Scarlet Feather, Tara Road, Minding Frankie, Firefly Summer, Circle of Friends, The Return Journey

-Harry Potter (I've read the later books so much that I've actually broken the spine on the last one & need to have it rebound)

-Primary Colors

-Things Fall Apart

Really, though, if it's a book I'll read it at least once. Some things (The Great Gatsby, The Sun Also Rises) I probably won't read again until my kids are reading them, though.

My all time favourite is Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen.

Me too. :)

The Godfather

All of Jilly Cooper's Rutshire Chronicles. I got hooked after Riders came out in the mid 80's. (She's basically an English version of Jackie Collins but in a horsey/dog setting)

To Kill a Mockingbird

All of these.

I grew up on Jilly Cooper :lol:. I also used to love Jackie Collins. :D Never thought I would say that here. ;)

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.

I've loved both of these. Going to probably get Rebecca again and see if dd would like to read it. I read it when I was 14.

My all time favourite is Pride and Prejudice, Jane Austen.

Me too. :)

The Godfather

All of Jilly Cooper's Rutshire Chronicles. I got hooked after Riders came out in the mid 80's. (She's basically an English version of Jackie Collins but in a horsey/dog setting)

To Kill a Mockingbird

All of these.

I grew up on Jilly Cooper :lol:. I also used to love Jackie Collins. :D Never thought I would say that here. ;)

Rebecca by Daphne du Maurier.

I've loved both of these. Going to probably get Rebecca again and see if dd would like to read it. I read it when I was 14.

Jane Eyre

Love this. Need to read it again.

The Poisonwood Bible by Barbara Kingsolver' date=' and, of course, the Harry Potter books.[/quote']

Love, love, love HP. Probably my all-time favorites. Along with Pride and Prejudice.

Just bought The Poisonwood Bible yesterday. :D

The Count of Monte Cristo

A Tale of Two Cities ♥♥♥

Love all of these.

The only one I haven't yet read is Mansfield Park.

How do you put hearts on your posts?

The Kite Runner Hosseini

To Kill a Mockingbird Lee

The Book Thief Zusak

Pillars of the Earth Follett

Yes, all of these also. Although I do prefer A Thousand Splendid Suns to Kite Runner.

The only one that I keep re-reading is The Geography of Bliss – non-fiction, very insightful, humorous. Wish he would write more.

Other books I've loved other than many that have already been mentioned:

The Help

The House of Spirits by Isabel Allende and anything else by her, but this is her best. I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE Allende

The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo trilogy .. but the first book is quite boring and confusing in the first 60-70 pages. Hang in there. It does get better! Yes, they are graphic. But I tend to look beyond that and just focus on the story

Roots by Alex Haley

I like Regency mysteries (not of the romance novel persuasion) too. My favorite series is the Sebastian St. Cyr series by CS Harris. Genius books. Each has their own storyline, but there is an overall plot arc, so they must be read in order. I'm dying for the next one to come out, but it won't until March

Think Mr. Darcy with a James Bond edge... [/i]

Hey, with a James Bond edge! Of course I have to like them!

I really like that series too. :) Persuasion is my favorite Austen. Really like that one. Guiltily I love anything by Elizabeth Peters. Not so guiltily I love Dorothy Dunnet whose writing is challenging but oh so good.

What books do you love to read? Which ones have you read over & over again, and which ones would you say you don't want to read AGAIN, but you're glad you read them once?

Among many others, my anytime favorites..

Gone with the wind

Anna Karenina

Lord of the rings

Jane Eyre

Remains of the day

To kill a mockingbird

The kite runner

Age of innocence

Vanity Fair

Animal Farm

I read but once

Atlas Shrugged

Wuthering heights

Potrait of a lady

• 4 months later...

I absolutely loved The Thorn Birds. I found it to be well written and got so caught up in the generational repeating of certain "habits". It's one I spent hours and hours reading, doing a crash course house clean up and hoping no one really wanted a great big dinner.... because I just had to keep reading.

I don't generally read books over and over again, but here are the exceptions:

LOTR

The Hobbit

Perelandra by Lewis

Jonathon Strange and Mr. Norell by Clarke

Out of Africa by Dinesen

Great Lent by Schmemann

any Jeeves and Wooster

Ones I'm glad I read but have no desire to do so again. That would include most of the non-fiction I've read. I was glad to learn about the subject matter,but have no desire to re-read the book. :) Here's the fiction list:

Far from the Madding Crowd

MiddleMarch

Kristin Lavransdatter

Tenent of Wildfell Hall

Persuasion

Heart of Darkness

Brothers Karamozov

Ben Hur

Snow Falling on Cedars

So many favorite books!!!

To Kill a Mockingbird, of course

Good Times, Bad Times

Harry Potter

currently reading, will certainly love, the Anne of Green Gables series

Love Story

The Outsiders

and recently added Dean Koontz's Frankenstein series, which makes me want to re-read Mary Shelley's....

other books have moved me and I'm glad to have read them once (Room, 1000 Splendid Suns, Kite Runner, anything Jane Austen) but aren't really re-readable kinds of books for me. I really don't think I could get through some of those more than once, but the stuff in the first list is the stuff I turn to over and over and over again when I just need a good read and don't care whether it's quality or fluff.

Watership Down

Anna Karenina

All The Pretty Horses

The Angle of Repose

Pride and Prejudice

Jane Eyre

The Solace of Leaving Early (I know Haven Kimmel isn't on the level of Tolstoy or Austen, but I just love this novel).

I most of the works of Reynolds Price and often wonder why he doesn't make more "favorite author" lists.

Edited by Danestress