Menu

TMI: Female IUD question, help!

Hi everyone,

I've been having cramps the last three days which at first I thought were ovulation cramps but now I'm not so sure. I have the Mirena IUD but the strings have migrated into my uterus and at last ultrasound check (in Dec) it was still in place. After consultation with my Dr we decided to leave it in until it expires since it wasn't causing any problems.

The cramps aren't severe but they are certainly present. Any thoughts? I highly doubt it would be a tubal since my dh has a vasectomy. It's the weekend so I would have to go to the ER if I want to get it checked out.

Thanks for any info/advice!

Marisa

Funny you should ask. I'm having a little cramping right now this morning with my Mirena. I think I ovulated last week (extremely rare event, very long story) and may have a period coming. I'm afraid of getting pregnant with it in, which is very ironic considering my history of infertility (my whole history is ironic, last baby was a surprise, thus the need for the Mirena). Many alternatives are out for me - I'd love oral contraceptives but they are contraindicated due to a clotting issue, and I'm a bit wigged out by the thought of foreign bodies in the tubes permanently (I don't know why, LOL).

I had random cramping for months with the Mirena. Two years later, I have cramping if I wear jeans that are too tight or if I engage in vigorous exercise (ab workout, running, a lot of hiking, etc.). I also might cramp if I have a period, though the bleeding has been very random on this and it's never been a full-fledged one. I'm always on the lookout for cramping, as that was the first sign when I conceived my surprise baby. This morning when I was complaining about something, DH said, maybe you're pregnant. He doesn't get the whole IUD thing. I'm not even sure he's really thought about what it is :lol:.

(ETA, not to worry, I keep a large stash of cheap pee sticks to deal with my paranoia about conceiving on the Mirena)

Edited by wapiti

The Mirena to me was the Devil. I had it put in December of last year. I had it yanked 3 weeks later. The cramps were SO bad that even percocet wasnt helping. And it was placed right, strings were fine.

I think some people's bodies aren't meant to have this. I know of two people who have it(one who never even had kids) and they love it.

I hated it!

I would say yank it out. To me it isnt worth it. And, just to let you know I had mine put in for medical reasons. I had iron deficiency anemia. I would rather take my iron pills until menopause then have that thing again.