Menu

How do you pronounce the name E L I A S?

Oh please do not type the name without spaces or something, I'd be beyond horrified if the parent googled and this came up and *gasp* they saw that I didn't know how to pronounce their precious baby's name! :willy_nilly: :svengo:

Anyhow, I saw the name in type, but haven't spoke to the parents yet. How do you pronounce it? It is a boy, btw. Thank you for saving my butt!

El-LEE-iss

Eh-LIE-iss

EE-LEE-iss

EE-LIE-us

El-L-ohfortheloveofpizzacouldn'ttheyjustnamehimEli?

This is a common name in Eastern Orthodox circles (it's the Greek form of Elijah), and I hate to say it but I hear it both ways -- Eh-LIE-us and Eh-LEE-us -- very frequently amongst my Orthodox kin. You'll probably just have to ask to find out. Then after they tell you which pronunciation it is, you can say, "Oh, I know some people pronounce it [the other way], so I wasn't sure." :D

Eh-LIE-us

I have a friend who named her child Eli as and that is how they pronounce it.

Wendi you broke rule number one!!!!

Quick - go add a space!!!! :lol:

I would say long e lie uhs, but I like the idea of asking. You can even call

and ask how their precious one is doing and she'll probably say his name

right away. :D

I say Eh-LIE-us, and my husband says EE-lee-us.

We have friends who named their son something like this, and the two of us couldn't decide how they pronounced it. My husband asked the man, and he pronounced it differently from his wife. Hilarious. I think they've switched to a nickname.

If the family is Hispanic, its el-LEE-us. One of my best childhood friends is of Argentinian descent and he hates it when people pronounce his name wrong. I've met a couple Hispanic Eliases and they have always commented on the fact I pronounce the name right.

I would take the cue from the person.

Our son is named this name. We have a certain way of pronouncing it because of his preference, but it really depends on the ethnicity of the person. Our Greek, Middle Eastern and Hispanic friends all have different ways of pronouncing it and they are all fine. We don't get offended at the confusion at all. He was named after a Middle Eastern man so we gravitate towards that pronunciation.

Eh-LIE-us

I have a friend who named her child Elias and that is how they pronounce it.

This is how I say it. I think it is because we are currently reading Understood Betsy and there is a character whose name is 'Lias, which I pronounce LIE-us. So I would think the emphasis is on the second syllable. And if you say it fast the ee or the eh would sound similar anyway. :)

Hahahhahha, we have this name in Danish where it is pronounced E-lee-as.

Too funny that I am not the only one with difficulty pronouncing a simple name. It has taken me years to prounounce Kathy correctly (I'd say kate-ty). The name Doug takes the cake, though. Why name your child dog??

But I am digressing as always. Enough chatting to myself.:lol:

Hahahhahha, we have this name in Danish where it is pronounced E-lee-as.

Too funny that I am not the only one with difficulty pronouncing a simple name. It has taken me years to prounounce Kathy correctly (I'd say kate-ty). The name Doug takes the cake, though. Why name your child dog??

But I am digressing as always. Enough chatting to myself.:lol:

:lol::lol::lol:

I was just coming in here to add that if they were Scandinavian then it would be E-Lee-as just to muddy the waters :D

First I would straight out ask them, (as someone with a name that is never pronounced correctly) I prefer to be asked instead of having to correct. They should get used to it, they'll be answering that question for years to come. That said I would pronounce it ee-LIE-us since it is probably a version of Elijah (one of my fav's). My neice's name is McKale (I think that's how my dippy sister spells it) she goes by Kalli. The boy will also probably shorten his name to Eli.

Uh-LIE-uhs. First and last syllables are schwas.

Laura

:iagree:

Just from reading to saying, this is how I pronounce it. However, if I met someone with this name, I would adjust my pronunciation to however they said it. I have a French friend named Matthias. Before I knew him, I would pronounce the name muh-THY-us. He pronounces it MAH-tee-us. So, I changed.