Menu

What's the best way to change your wake-up time?...

Starting 2/1, I have to have to be up at 4:30 am 3x/week. Right now, I get up around 7 am. I am going to be shifting my bedtime to 9 pm, a change from 11pm. Should I just make the change abruptly or try to do it incrementally? I can't fail. 4:30 will be my new wake up time after Feb. 1st.

Thanks,

Amy

but in thinking about it more, I actually think it might be easier to just cold-turkey get up at the new time.

Going slowly might just make it more miserable, KWIM? I'd just go with setting the alarm for 4:30 (oy, just thinking about it makes me feel for you!) and get used to it. I actually used to get up at that time back when I worked in a hospital, and the number one thing that helped me was getting up IMMEDIATELY when my alarm went off. Do NOT hit the snooze button, or lay there for a few minutes. Just get up right away.

The bigger challenge by far, at least for me, is going to bed earlier to make up for the early rising time.

Michelle T

Hi Amy,

I think you have a good thing going for you in this- you don't have a choice. That right there is good motivation.

I changed my wake-up time over the summer because I felt I needed to change it and no other reason. It was a major thing for me because I'm such a night owl. All that has gone to pot of course being exhausted from pregnancy now, but oh well!:)

Knowing you have until Feb. 2, you could certainly start doing it incrementally, but I know that wouldn't work for me. I'd keep telling myself in the am that I don't have to get up yet, :) So personally, just doing it cold turkey would work better. But not knowing why you have to change come Feb. 2nd, I'm wondering if you have an accountability partner you could have for this? Unless it's like a job or something that you have to physically be somewhere by a certain time - that would be the accountability I would think. I couldn't have done it last summer if it weren't for the ladies on this board. I promised them I would be on the board by a certain time each morning, and there was always someone there (usually Stephanie in FL) to say good morning to me, or to ask where I was if I was past my time.

Hope that helps some.

Janna

Cold turkey worked okay for me. I'm still strugging with going to bed early. Even after waking at 3:30am my body wants to stay up late. :(

I hit a wall around 3pm and want to nap then after dinner I can barly keep my eyes open. But I get a second wind around 8. I'm good to go until midnight. UGH!

Good luck. I hope your transition goes better than mine.