Menu

I Think I May Be Looking For Sympathy...

Pity parties are always more fun in a group setting, don't you think?:D

My DH is currently deployed for a very, very, very (very) long time. And in the four months that he has been gone the lightbulb burned out in the skylight and I can't reach it to replace it. The engine on my car blew up and the mechanic said it wasn't worth repairing. The caulking/tile around our bathtub cracked and had to be replaced because the bathtub would move everytime we tried to get in. (Weird. I know.) The garage door broke. Two windows in our home cracked from the incredible heat we had this summer. The sliding glass door to the backyard is stuck and won't open. My grass is dying. And the washing machine just broke.

Again.

I may or may not have cried on the bathroom floor for the second time this month.

That is all.

Big hugs to you mama. I am a military wife and I totally and 100% sympathize with you. It's hard enough being alone while they deploy (my DH was gone more than 3 years of our first 6 years of marriage, including for the birth of our dd), but everything ALWAYS goes wrong while they are gone. Even now, when DH is only gone for a couple days, THAT is the time when everything falls apart. Without fail. It's really the most annoying thing in the world.

I'm so sorry you are going through this. It's really, really not fair :(

Pity parties are always more fun in a group setting, don't you think?:D

My DH is currently deployed for a very, very, very (very) long time. And in the four months that he has been gone the lightbulb burned out in the skylight and I can't reach it to replace it. The engine on my car blew up and the mechanic said it wasn't worth repairing. The caulking/tile around our bathtub cracked and had to be replaced because the bathtub would move everytime we tried to get in. (Weird. I know.) The garage door broke. Two windows in our home cracked from the incredible heat we had this summer. The sliding glass door to the backyard is stuck and won't open. My grass is dying. And the washing machine just broke.

Again.

I may or may not have cried on the bathroom floor for the second time this month.

That is all.

I'm so, so sorry! :grouphug: :grouphug:

If you lived nearby, I'd send one (or more) of my big guys to help.

We're 7 months into a 12 month deployment. The deployment before this one was 15 months (Oct 07-Jan 09...do the math on those holidays missed). The deployment before that went from DS8's 13th day of life until right before his first birthday. All this to say, I really, really, really understand. :grouphug:

Your stuff knows when your DH is gone. :glare: Cars die (multiple times), kids need ER visits, washers break, toilets don't flush properly... And my dog died (a week after DH had returned to Iraq after R&R in 2008, of course). Man, do I have stories to tell about how truly pathetic I was after the dog died. That was IT. The straw. So, really, more :grouphug: because I totally get what it feels like when you have reached your limit.

By the way, I love a good pity party! Really! I do. I had an actual Pity Party for Thanksgiving during DH's first Iraq deployment. It was DS8's first Thanksgiving and we darn well weren't going to celebrate it without Daddy. So, I invited a couple of dear friends and their babies over and we had a fajita fiesta for Thanksgiving. We wore our pajamas and didn't put on makeup and ate too much chocolate and ice cream. It was a seriously awesome pity party.

I encourage you to allow yourself to bask in self-pity every so often as a sort of vaccine against full-on episodes of sobbing in the fetal position in your closet (don't ask me how I know about that :tongue_smilie:).

It is a completely rotten situation we're in, and it's OK to say so. Yes, we made this choice. Yes, we're proud. But it's still no fun.

:grouphug:

Deployments stink. And it's okay to say that in public. Really. It is. Give it a try.

:iagree:

I find it especially useful to mention in the checkout line of the grocery store, with three kids buzzing all around me as if they have never been taught manners their entire lives. (For the record, they have. :D) I will just look the checker in the eye and say, "Sorry. I'm on month ___ of a ___ deployment. I'm fried." It's a military town so there's a knowing look and lots of sympathy. :lol:

I encourage you to allow yourself to bask in self-pity every so often as a sort of vaccine against full-on episodes of sobbing in the fetal position in your closet (don't ask me how I know about that :tongue_smilie:)

:grouphug:

:iagree:Big hugs:grouphug:

I have no idea why but things always go wrong when they're gone. The last time my husband was gone it felt like everything went wrong.

Car broke down

No power for a week in freezing weather

I have 4 kids:

-one had his stomach pumped with liquid charcoal

-one was diagnosed with trichotillomania (it's a compulsion to pull your hair out)

-one daughter knocked two teeth out on the driveway and had stitches

-and my youngest fractured her femur and was in a spica (full body cast)

swine flu, regular flu, rotavirus yada yada

Again biggest hugs:grouphug:

And feel free to go outside and scream whenever necessary:tongue_smilie:

Big giant hugs! I commiserate completely - I wish I could figure out how stuff KNOWS when dh leaves. Everything goes wrong and none of it is easy to fix. Find a place and cry it all out every once in a while. I was always amazed at how much better I felt once I let go and bawled like a baby for a few hours. At least until the next thing broke!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug: If you were near I'd bring you dinner with lots of brownies!

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:it's got to be SO HARD to be a military wife!!! Isn't there support within the military "family" to help the wives left at home?

There is definitely support.

But I'm the commander's wife so I'm supposed to have it together.:D

On a happier note I have a dear sister in Christ that offered up her house, her washing machine and her pool despite the fact that they're on vacation this week. I have the super secret squirrel password on how to break into their house and am feeling so much better now that I know we won't have to recycle our unmentionables until the repair man can get here next week.

Thanks for the words of encouragement and understanding ladies. I appreciate it more than you know.