Menu

I HATE physics

why? Care to elaborate?

I find teaching it extremely frustrating. I never took physics, in fact I left school after year 10. My Ds17 is doing a university physics course at the moment. He is expecting me to be able to converse about it with him, and even offer ideas about wording in his lab reports.

I find teaching it extremely frustrating. I never took physics, in fact I left school after year 10. My Ds17 is doing a university physics course at the moment. He is expecting me to be able to converse about it with him, and even offer ideas about wording in his lab reports.

I can see why you are frustrated. If you don't know physics, you can not possibly teach it. And even helping you student will be limited. He needs to realize that.

I am sure his university offers several options for learning assistance for this course - homework help sessions, tutoring, office hours. He needs to make use of these.

I can see why you are frustrated. If you don't know physics, you can not possibly teach it. And even helping you student will be limited. He needs to realize that.

I am sure his university offers several options for learning assistance for this course - homework help sessions, tutoring, office hours. He needs to make use of these.

He realizes that I cannot help him, he just needs someone to talk to. He is doing the course online through one of the biggest unis in Australia. there is no homework help sessions, no office hours, he can correspond by email with his tutor and that is basically it.

He is completing his 3rd and 4th online uni units so he can get into university for an engineering degree. It is a little tricky getting into uni from homeschooling in Australia. Parents cannot give credits, there is no recognition of homeschool work, and many Uni's are not that interested in SAT scores.

I took much higher level math and science that my mom did and often talked through something with her and it really helped. A lot of time when just explaining the problem and some of the concepts, how to solve it would become clear. Listen too him, ask him some questions as he is explaining and it may help a lot more than you think.

I took much higher level math and science that my mom did and often talked through something with her and it really helped. A lot of time when just explaining the problem and some of the concepts, how to solve it would become clear. Listen too him, ask him some questions as he is explaining and it may help a lot more than you think.

Thank you ,

That is basically what I do. He gives me great explanations including drawing me diagrams etc.

I bet my husband would love to help him. Lol.

He is a physicist by education - although he is in a computer science/business position these days.

He misses having people to talk to about science.

I haven't a scientific bone in my body :)

Thank you ,

That is basically what I do. He gives me great explanations including drawing me diagrams etc.

This may be of more benefit to him than you realize. Teaching someone else the material forces the student to have a much deeper understanding of it themselves. :001_smile:

Archived