Menu

Need suggestions for Critical Thinking/Logic :)

katnorman

My DD hates Building Thinking Skills by The Critical Thinking Company. She says she already knows her shapes and how to color and she knows everything in it, as she's almost 7 :glare:. So, I'm wondering what other thinking/logic books are out there that kids enjoy. I've been looking at the miniluk, but would love some feedback on it. Thanks!!

Creative Thinking Company has a series called "Think a Minutes" which are a whole bunch of different types of logic/critical thinking activities, and then it says what series similar problems are found in. I've found that the mixed books go over MUCH better than any book focused on a single type or only a few types of questions (which is what we run into with Prufrock Press-I use the books, but my DD gets very frustrated with page after page after page of analogies or syllogisms).

There's a logic book on the Scholastic $1 downloads right now that I downloaded, but haven't printed yet that looks reasonably good, and the price is right :).

We use a lot of different logic / CT materials. I agree with you that CTC's large "Building Thinking Skills" is one of their weaker offerings. My kids much prefer some of their shorter books, like Mindbenders. Here's a rundown of what we have used and liked, with (hopefully helpful) notes:

From CTC:

- Mindbenders (typical grid-type logic problems)

- Balance Math and More (awesome way to practice addition, subtraction, multiplication and division. My 9 year old balks at worksheets, and LOVES these visual puzzles).

- Balance Math (visual algebra and logical reasoning)

- Math Analogies (math, but not focused on just addition et al. Covers many areas)

- Dr Dooriddles (reading, spelling, penmanship, associative reasoning; our family's very favourite)

- Can You Find Me? (visual answers to easy-to-read riddles for the pre-K crowd)

From Mindware:

- Analogy Challenges (starts pictorial, moves to words, has riddles within; we really like this one and it is easy for kids to do it largely independently)

- Logic Links (moving coloured dots around to match the 'clues' you are given. Good for spatial reasoning and kinesthetic learners)

- Perplexors (similar to grid-type logic puzzles, different format makes them easier for kids who prefer words to grids / charts)

- Math Perplexors (same as above but you have to use some math--typically the 4 operations--to solve. Much more wordy than the math titles from CTC)

- Venn Perplexors. (New to us this year; so far beginning level is just about understanding where different items would go in a venn diagram; second level is really neat and you must use math to label the diagram. Another of my older's fave ways to practice the 4 operations).

- Link Winks. (Similar to Dr Dooriddles: writing, spelling, associative reasoning. Have to find three rhyming words that match three different clues. New to my 9 year old this year who is almost done the Dr Dooriddles series).

Prufrock:

- Lollipop Logic. (Good in that it has a variety of problem types unlike just about everything else, but far too easy for my 6 year old. I'd say Pre-K to K, not K-2 as on the label).

- Logic Countdown. (Again, mix of problem types; new to us this year and it appears to be at about the right level for my 9 year old; maybe slightly easy. We will be continuing with this series).

- We also bought an analogy book from them this year, but haven't started it yet.

If you're wondering how we fit all this in, I use logic puzzles as 5-10 minute 'warm-ups' before math or language arts. The kids pick which book they feel like doing, and do a minimum of 2 pages. (Lollipop Logic is so easy my 6 year old is getting through 8-10 pages in the time big brother needs to do his two pages!). HTH.

BTW, we also used CTC's Think-a-Minute's which someone mentioned and it was pretty good: a wide variety of problem types. But it required a LOT of help from me to get my older (7 and 8 at the time) to work the problem. I prefer things kids can do more independently.