Menu

xpost - Math questions CLE, TT, or MM

AimeeM

My fifth grade daughter (dyslexic) is struggling in math. Not math really... just her basic concepts. I hesitate to remidiate her too much because she does understand (easily and well) advanced concepts. We are using Aleks for the next month just to build her basic skills.

She is extremely math phobic.

She also does a page a day of MM's sample pages. She seems to do okay with that - but it is difficult for me to explain the concepts or *how* to her as they come so naturally to me after so many years. The entire way MM presents their problems confuses me and seems to complicate the concept.

I have heard wonderful things about CLE but I'll be honest - I've also heard it compared to Saxon and WE HATE SAXON. It brought us both to tears and is the REASON for her math phobia; so if CLE is like Saxon, it's off the table.

I want to use Teaching Textbooks. It's my top choice; however, I've heard that it is very "lite".

Thoughts?

I am using CLE for my neurotypical 2nd grader. It is GREAT for her! However, I don't see how my boys with LDs could thrive in it. It *is* a lot like Saxon in that it teaches one small new concept each lesson and spends the rest of the lesson reviewing previously taught items. There is a lot of work in each lesson and it is a very good program, just not for my boys.

My boys with LDs are using ACE PACES this year. I know they have a bad rep, but honestly they are working very, very well for my boys. It is mastery based, but also reviews previous PACES very well. My 10yo can finally tell the difference in to, too, and two because of the English PACES. In math, I gave him the placement test and we are working on filling in his "gaps" so that he can go forward in math. He is actually memorizing his math facts!