Menu

Creatures to Raise & Release

My daughters are begging for pets. (We already have a dog; they'd like a whole menagerie). We have a limited amount of space in our house, so I'm not sure we have the space for another pet, and I'm not sure I want to make a long-term commitment to another pet.

I was wondering, instead, what kind of creatures we might be able to raise and release. We've done butterflies. My daughter's class raised quail from eggs, but I'm not sure they have a decent chance of survival after release.

What other creatures might we raise? Can you raise tadpoles to frogs?

It is not recommended that purchased tadpoles be released as frogs.

Of course, the tadpoles I have purchased in the past have all been BULLFROGS, which are an invasive species in Iowa. I do not know if there are different rules for your part of the country, but you might want to make a telephone inquiry to the company selling the tadpoles or to your local university amphibian-scientist before making a commitment to buy.

We have not been successful in getting the tadpoles to full frog level. I think that I need to start feeding/offering crickets or other live food as soon as their legs appear. My frogs always die before they lose their tails. (Once was because I improperly cleaned the tank, I'm pretty sure....) Poor little guys. :sad:

If you have a source for tadpoles from a local pond, that is an option, too.

We have also had luck with Ladybug larvae.

Luna moths from Carolina Biological.

http://www.carolina.com/

Can you catch some critters and keep inside for a few days? We often catch lizards and snakes and make them temporary pets. Also, we will buy crickets from the pet store and keep them. They are actually fun to watch and we have been lucky enough to catch several of them molting.