Menu

To new hsers-sharing my biggest mistake over the last 10 years.

smilesonly

:seeya:

I'm in my 10th yr of hsing, and want to share my BIGGEST mistake in all of these years so that I may prevent others from the same result.

When I first started out hsing my oldest, I jumped on board with the trendiest math curriculum. Soon it was too hard for me to teach as it was so foreign to the way I learned math-so I switched.

For whatever reason, over the next several years I would switch math for my dd. My reasons could all be justified-she was too bored, I had a hard time teaching it, she got stuck, so and so said we just HAD to try >insert pricey, popular math curriculum< and on and on. ( I call it the "heart-string -tug/panic syndrome.)

The end result? My 9th grade dd who is a year behind in math-at a time when it really counts. Even worse, math was once her favorite subject and now she loathes it and has zero confidence in herself in this area.

If I could do it over again, I would have chosen a traditional, solid, math curriculum, stuck with it-boredom and all- and just supplemented with anything else that seemed just too good to pass. But, hindsight is everything, isn't it?

Please mamas (and papas!), don't throw in the towel with math. Take a break instead or supplement with something else-just keep your favorite spine to always refer to and work on. Be sure it's a program that BOTH of you can stay with over the long haul, too.

Many Blessings,

Frustrated Smiles:(

Edited by smilesonly
typo-of course!

I'm suffering the same, exact, remorse.

I got became SO unsure of my math choice, that I switched three, four times. BAD idea. I should have done as you said, pick one and stick with it, adding TO it if needed, but not changing it.

Now I am back to my first choice. One that works well for all of us, and that's what I'm sticking with.

Thank you for that advice. Would you say MUS is one of those good curriculums? I've been so worried about teaching upper level math and NEED the DVDs. I know it might not give them as much real world application, but I figured I could supplement that part of it. I chose not to go with Math Mammoth because she has no plans to finish the curriculum through high school, she just told me that I would need to get a regular boring math textbook and teach with that. But I don't even understand how things are explained in textbooks, so I'm sure I'd do a horrible job at trying to teach someone else. My plan was to just stick with MUS the whole way through and if it did not work and I could not make it work, I'd switch to Teaching Textbooks, so they could do most of the teaching for me.

I started with MUS and wish I had stuck with it. We're back on it now.

I used Singapore, TT and Videotext.

My oldest did well with MUS, but I got an inferiority complex and went to TT then Singapore.

I should have just stuck with what was working for us. *She is not behind*, but she's very unsure of herself, and that is MY fault. Instead of saying "I know this," she's second guessing herself, "Do I know this?" because when you switch, there are different terms, different ways of teaching, and the inevitable holes because one may not have covered what the other did.

I am so glad that a wise hs mom gave me the exact same piece of advice when we started homeschooling 10 years ago. We have continued with Saxon, even though at times it has not been easy (thorough, but not easy). I am not advocating Saxon (although it has worked well for us), but I do feel it is important to try to stay with one curriclum to avoid "gaps", as different currculums have a different scope and sequence. A great big hug to the OP. I pray you can find a method that will work for the both of you :).

Thanks SO much for your wisdom. We are using Rod & Staff math. It can get pretty boring at times and can seem kind of slow. I have had people tell me that its old fashioned (it is) and that my kids will be behind. This was only the 2nd curriculum that we've tried and my 1st & 3rd grader are doing well. We are sticking with it and will add to it as needed. Thanks SO much for sharing.

Thanks so much for posting this. As a new homeschooling mom, it is good to learn from others' mistakes. I do get scared that I will be a curriculum hopper, but I am hoping to make a decision about math before 1st grade and then stick with it throughout elementary. Thanks again for posting. It is appreciated! :grouphug:

dd's starting K and I feel the pressure to find the core things that will work for us... I definitely don't want to be hopping around but am afraid to commit in K without testing a few different things out ...

I know I'm bad:tongue_smilie::lol:

Hoping this year to find what curriculum we're both comfortable with and start grade 1 with our 3 R's firmly decided ...

It isn't just math. This rings for not sticking with reading and spelling too.

I want to add ... take it easy. :D We accomplish lots with a very relaxed attitude. Oh, one more thing, you don't have to finish the book .... ever!

:iagree::iagree:

And Grammar. Pick a program you like and can relate to...then stick with it. Add what you will but stick to one...

Faithe, who learned the very hard way.

This is a good post. Thanks for thinking of it. I have always had the same gut feeling, but don't have the long term experience that you have. We are on year 5 of Rod and Staff math. I know that some parts of it are behind what Saxon introduces in each grade. (Saxon is what our local district uses) so I have been tempted to change at times when I get worried about it. But I always come back to the fact that it will all get covered in time, just not at the same time. And my kids are learning with it. And I get it. etc.

So how can I tell if I'm jumping math programs too much?

DD just started 3rd grade. She's used RightStart, Miquon, and I'm about to switch her to Math Mammoth. We've also supplemented with assorted other programs. Once she gets to 6th grade math, we'll be switching again since none of the programs I've used go past 6th grade.

I like to think that I've been switching progams on her for good reasons. Now I'm wondering if I should second guess myself.

Oh, and I like math even though DD doesn't.

Thanks for sharing your experience. I wanted to add, as a former math teacher and tutor, that I have met many kids who went through "traditional boring math programs" yet arrived at junior high / high school a year or more behind. (This is most of what I worked on with them in tutoring--finding their 'gaps' and remediating).

Thanks for sharing your experience. I wanted to add, as a former math teacher and tutor, that I have met many kids who went through "traditional boring math programs" yet arrived at junior high / high school a year or more behind. (This is most of what I worked on with them in tutoring--finding their 'gaps' and remediating).

Yes! Math is a funny subject (maybe they all are). My boys (3 of them) are very math-minded. My middle son in particular just seems to GET math. It wouldn't matter what book he used, he just gets it. My daughter? She's killing me. I don't even know how to get her to understand math. She's in 5th grade and math involves tears daily. She's very bright, but words are her thing. ;)

So how can I tell if I'm jumping math programs too much?

DD just started 3rd grade. She's used RightStart, Miquon, and I'm about to switch her to Math Mammoth. We've also supplemented with assorted other programs. Once she gets to 6th grade math, we'll be switching again since none of the programs I've used go past 6th grade.

I like to think that I've been switching progams on her for good reasons. Now I'm wondering if I should second guess myself.

Oh, and I like math even though DD doesn't.

If it helps, I don't see anything wrong with switching at developmentally appropriate times. In your case, you're contemplating a common switch from manipulative-heavy programs to two-dimensional teaching as a student matures. My view on switching more generally: I'd look closely at tables of contents/scope and sequence and placement tests to identify any potential gaps in the more important concepts (i.e., no blind jumping). It may be easier to close small gaps individually before starting the new level. In contrast, it would be a lot harder to switch programs when important arithmetic concepts were not learned well the first time, because the switching might involve significant backing up to re-teach (though that re-teaching might be necessary either way!). Whether to switch would depend on the specific reasons why the first program wasn't effective, if that was the case.

For math after 6th grade, if one is not using one of the integrated programs, I personally see nothing wrong with switching to a different text each year (says the mom who has at least 7 different prealgebra texts, lol). Placement tests are usually easy enough to get. If I were afraid of higher math, I'd outsource in one way or another (tutor or class), but that wouldn't mean I'd have to outsource for elementary math too.

FWIW, I don't think hindsight is always 20/20. A person could decide to stick with a program at all costs and be kicking themselves for not switching, though that's unlikely to be the case if a program is successful in helping the student learn. But if a program is not working, sometimes a switch is necessary - we make careful decisions with all the information we have at the time, and we roll the dice.

We are sticking with RS until it ends and then picking a new favorite, probably Singapore. I was tempted to switch after reading about everyone who does switch after Level C, but I talked myself out of it. No math program is perfect, RS works really, really well for us, and, honestly, I love not having to reconsider my math choices every year or two.

If it helps, I don't see anything wrong with switching at developmentally appropriate times. In your case, you're contemplating a common switch from manipulative-heavy programs to two-dimensional teaching as a student matures. My view on switching more generally: I'd look closely at tables of contents/scope and sequence and placement tests to identify any potential gaps in the more important concepts (i.e., no blind jumping). It may be easier to close small gaps individually before starting the new level. In contrast, it would be a lot harder to switch programs when important arithmetic concepts were not learned well the first time, because the switching might involve significant backing up to re-teach (though that re-teaching might be necessary either way!). Whether to switch would depend on the specific reasons why the first program wasn't effective, if that was the case.

For math after 6th grade, if one is not using one of the integrated programs, I personally see nothing wrong with switching to a different text each year (says the mom who has at least 7 different prealgebra texts, lol). Placement tests are usually easy enough to get. If I were afraid of higher math, I'd outsource in one way or another (tutor or class), but that wouldn't mean I'd have to outsource for elementary math too.

FWIW, I don't think hindsight is always 20/20. A person could decide to stick with a program at all costs and be kicking themselves for not switching, though that's unlikely to be the case if a program is successful in helping the student learn. But if a program is not working, sometimes a switch is necessary - we make careful decisions with all the information we have at the time, and we roll the dice.

:iagree:

We've switched a lot - using many different programs for all subjects over the past 10 years...including math (Horizon, Singapore, Miquon, Videotext, Teaching Textbooks, Lial's and now Saxon.)

Last month ds did fine on his college placement tests.

Taking the student into consideration is important.

I switched from MCP Math (K-1st), and I'm glad I did. We both "get" and enjoy Math Mammoth much more, and the fact that I can reuse this curriculum is great. It includes many supplemental ideas, games, online games, and activities to reinforce, plus you can print out extra sheets when your dc need to practice. Love it. Thanks for the post. I'm learning the more I homeschool, the better I learn to teach the child, not the curriculum. This means I can adapt a wide variety of curricula to the student in question.

Edited by sagira

:iagree:Of course in our case, it's too soon to tell, but I think that our switch from Horizons (this year) to Singapore (next year) is worth a try. Will it work? Will we hate it? Regret it? Thrive with it? Trade it in for MUS? I have no idea. But I do know that something about Horizons is making me want to pull my hair out. And there is nothing about Horizons that is helping me to become a better math teacher. Perhaps Singapore and my own self-study will improve the situation? Only time will tell, but at this point it seems that switching to another math program is not always a negative thing.

These threads scare me. :tongue_smilie:

I would stick to a single math curric if I could find one that fit. I know my ds8 will do just fine in math with a little maturity. He's actually quite intuitive with math...there is just no program that doesn't assassinate his very soul...(:lol::lol::lol: that last bit would be funny if you heard him today:lol:)

At what age do you really buckle down and get stern about it? We've done Miquon here...and a hodgepodge that looks a lot like Miquon...the discovery approach and jumping and hopping has proven successful thus far. (3rd grader here...)

I calm myself by telling myself that, so long as we gain proficiency in the biggies, there is always Lial's Basic College Math if we need help before saying farewell to this stage in math education.

I guess I'm probing for what *exactly* do you miss by switching math currics mid-stream? or deciding on your "forever math" (:tongue_smilie::lol:) a little late in the game?

:bigear:

These threads scare me. :tongue_smilie:

I would stick to a single math curric if I could find one that fit. I know my ds8 will do just fine in math with a little maturity. He's actually quite intuitive with math...there is just no program that doesn't assassinate his very soul...(:lol::lol::lol: that last bit would be funny if you heard him today:lol:)

At what age do you really buckle down and get stern about it? We've done Miquon here...and a hodgepodge that looks a lot like Miquon...the discovery approach and jumping and hopping has proven successful thus far. (3rd grader here...)

I calm myself by telling myself that, so long as we gain proficiency in the biggies, there is always Lial's Basic College Math if we need help before saying farewell to this stage in math education.

I guess I'm probing for what *exactly* do you miss by switching math currics mid-stream? or deciding on your "forever math" (:tongue_smilie::lol:) a little late in the game?

:bigear:

And just to throw another wrench into it, there are some people who believe that formal math before the age of 10 years is a waste of time, if not detrimental.

http://www.triviumpursuit.com/articles/research_on_teaching_math.php

http://www.psychologytoday.com/blog/freedom-learn/201003/when-less-is-more-the-case-teaching-less-math-in-schools

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=128114

http://sursumcorda.salemsattic.com/post/1/1060

I would offer exactly the same advice for exactly the same reasons. I could fill a million "if only" buckets about math and it was all in an effort to help. The best help I could have given was to choose a program and stuck with it rather than trying to miraculously make him happy. I believe he's much less happy (pretty much a math hater) than he would have been to have stuck it out and do what needs to be done.

It doesn't help but I'm a least partially comforted to not be alone. However, he's wanting to go to private school and I'm sick thinking of how math will be.

dd's starting K and I feel the pressure to find the core things that will work for us... I definitely don't want to be hopping around but am afraid to commit in K without testing a few different things out ...

I know I'm bad:tongue_smilie::lol:

Hoping this year to find what curriculum we're both comfortable with and start grade 1 with our 3 R's firmly decided ...

It's a great time to try out a variety of curricula and approaches because you can be ready for first grade math without having completed any one of them so nothing to fret!

Thank you for that advice. Would you say MUS is one of those good curriculums? I've been so worried about teaching upper level math and NEED the DVDs. I know it might not give them as much real world application, but I figured I could supplement that part of it. I chose not to go with Math Mammoth because she has no plans to finish the curriculum through high school, she just told me that I would need to get a regular boring math textbook and teach with that. But I don't even understand how things are explained in textbooks, so I'm sure I'd do a horrible job at trying to teach someone else. My plan was to just stick with MUS the whole way through and if it did not work and I could not make it work, I'd switch to Teaching Textbooks, so they could do most of the teaching for me.

This is exactly why we use MUS and will stick with it. We have used it from the beginning. I can tell you I am learning math all over again ( I am not good at math). The way MUS teaches makes soooo much sense to me. My dds are not "mathy" kids, but they get it. They are not afraid of it, and are confident in their abilities. This is the one subject that I do not jump around with. Monday through Wednesday we do our MUS lesson. Thursday is math games or real world math. It works out really great this way.

And just to throw another wrench into it, there are some people who believe that formal math before the age of 10 years is a waste of time, if not detrimental.

Of course some people are barking-mad :D

That the Bluedorns give credence to the idea that children doing sums in childhood makes them vulnerable to chorea is just more piece of evidence (to add to the mountain of other reasons) that they are not people to turn to as "educational gurus."

Gimme a break :lol:

Bill

This is exactly why we use MUS and will stick with it. We have used it from the beginning. I can tell you I am learning math all over again ( I am not good at math). The way MUS teaches makes soooo much sense to me. My dds are not "mathy" kids, but they get it. They are not afraid of it, and are confident in their abilities. This is the one subject that I do not jump around with. Monday through Wednesday we do our MUS lesson. Thursday is math games or real world math. It works out really great this way.

I think I love you after this post. :lol: I wrote this earlier on another thread, but it fits here too. We're doing MUS which is a great base program, but we are tweaking it some to make it work for *us* which can be an important part of preventing curriculum hopping. I believe though sometimes you've gotta just bail and I've done that too. ;)

I know one mom here has supplemented MUS with Singapore's Challenging word problems. We'll be doing the same. We also play lots of math games and whenever I have to work a math problem IRL, I make sure to go the the dry erase board and work it through with my children. I have read that math games are to math what books are to phonics or something like that. They provide application and fluency and fun. Oh and we can do all that because MUS only takes 20-30 minutes right now. I purposely chose a program that we have time to supplement other things to it. Math is fun here again and I think that's important!

Only time will tell, but at this point it seems that switching to another math program is not always a negative thing.

:iagree:

I switched my dd14 from Singapore to R&S 2 and back to Singapore in 1st/2nd grade. Then, I switched her from Singapore to MUS Gamma and back to Singapore when she was a little older. I did this each time because she struggled so...I think there just wasn't enough practice in Singapore, plus she has a terrible time memorizing math facts (or latin word endings, which is why I let her drop Latin early on). She got through Singapore 5A at the end of 7th grade, then did Lial's BCM in 8th grade, and has just started Lial's Introductory Algebra now that she's in 9th. We'll see how things go for her this year in Algebra 1, but I suspect she'll do well enough.

The foray into R&S for addition facts, and the foray into MUS for mulitplication helped her a lot. I guess in the end it looks like R&S and MUS were just supplements, but that was not my intent when I moved her to the new curriclum. Neither time did I think I'd switch her back into Singapore, but she ended up begging me to go back to Singapore, and .

So, switching around isn't all bad. Sometimes, for some students, understanding math is a brain maturity issue, and exploring another curriclum can keep the learning moving forward until the brain matures and the light bulb turns on.

I'm in my 10th yr of hsing, and want to share my BIGGEST mistake in all of these years so that I may prevent others from the same result.

When I first started out hsing my oldest, I jumped on board with the trendiest math curriculum. Soon it was too hard for me to teach as it was so foreign to the way I learned math-so I switched.

For whatever reason, over the next several years I would switch math for my dd. My reasons could all be justified-she was too bored, I had a hard time teaching it, she got stuck, so and so said we just HAD to try >insert pricey, popular math curriculum< and on and on. ( I call it the "heart-string -tug/panic syndrome.)

The end result? My 9th grade dd who is a year behind in math-at a time when it really counts. Even worse, math was once her favorite subject and now she loathes it and has zero confidence in herself in this area.

If I could do it over again, I would have chosen a traditional, solid, math curriculum, stuck with it-boredom and all- and just supplemented with anything else that seemed just too good to pass. But, hindsight is everything, isn't it?

Many Blessings,

I wouldn't beat yourself up over it... I doubt very much that changing math books frequently resulted in poor test scores. It sounds to me like your daughter struggled with math and disliked math (or perceived herself as being "bad at math") from a young age. Your switching math books was an entirely valid attempt at finding a math program that fit for her and for you.

I don't think I ever had the same math book series twice. In elementary school, either we moved or the district adopted a new book, or one series went from k-3 and one from 4-6. Pre-algebra was a different publisher from algebra or geometry etc... No two college professors care that their coursebook requirement comes from the same publisher. Math is math. While there are some skills that are good to have before tackling other topics, it's not truly sequential.

If a child had poor retention of history, nobody would suggest it was because they had not used the same textbook series from k-9th grade.

Who knows? Your daughter might dislike math even more and have performed even worse on the test if you *had* stuck with the same series straight through.

What a good thing to bring up!

My dd6 loves math and although somedays I want to go back to what we WERE using..I see that what we have is working.

My dd8 would rather be catching lizards and frogs than to sit and do a math problem. EXCEPT when it comes to money, time OR multipication and with our previous program she didn't like ANYTHING about math.

So I can see what we have is NOT broken. So I am not going to fix what's NOT broken!

I think I love you after this post. :lol: I wrote this earlier on another thread, but it fits here too. We're doing MUS which is a great base program, but we are tweaking it some to make it work for *us* which can be an important part of preventing curriculum hopping. I believe though sometimes you've gotta just bail and I've done that too. ;)

Great minds think alike ;).

I also wanted to add I was one of those kids that because I was homeschooled, private schooled, and public schooled; My math instruction was all over the place! My poor mom tried to make things better. However, the many different teachers and gaps, made it the one subject that I developed a fear of. I do not think it always happens this way. It does depend on the child. For kids like me who aren't naturals or struggle a bit, it can be a major problem.

We started out w/ a math program in K and then dropped *formal* math until my first born was 10. We drilled math facts and then I sat her down in front of a math book and she did great.

With my 2nd born, we just drilled math facts and sat him in front of a math book when he turned 10. So far, so good.

I have few regrets now (11 years in) but a big one is not listening to a veteran homeschooler who told me I didn't need curriculum for my dd who was in K. Nope. Wouldn't listen. Thought I needed a lot of stuff.

Edited by Angie in VA
typos

I did several math curriculums when my oldest was K-3. I used MUS, Singapore, Miquon. Developmental Math and Horizon's were dropped pretty fast. We basically kept trading off which one we used. When we went back to one we'd dropped earlier, we just picked up where we left off. By 4th/5th grade I decided on one program and we're sticking with it (MUS).

The back and forth and trying lots of programs was important for ME to understand where I stood with math and how I wanted to teach it. Trying all those programs was enlightening!

My oldest is perhaps behind in math. She's on the 6th level of MUS in 7th grade. I guess she could be doing Pre-Alg right now if I hadn't had her doing other things in the early years. But she's moving quickly, and I think she'll be done with PA by this time next year. So not much loss.

Anyway, I just wanted to offer the opinion that it's not always totally detrimental to try new things. I think picking one program by the time your child is 10 and sticking with it is probably a smart move. Don't sweat it in K-2!!!

Please mamas (and papas!), don't throw in the towel with math. Take a break instead or supplement with something else-just keep your favorite spine to always refer to and work on. Be sure it's a program that BOTH of you can stay with over the long haul, too.

Many Blessings,

I've had a similar math journey. My 9th grader has been working summers for 2 years now to catch up and is now only 1 semester behind. One more summer and he should get on track. (He would like to take Calculus, so that is what we are working towards.) I wish I'd started with Saxon and stayed with it. My problem....I HATE the K-3 program. 5/4 and up is so awesome!!

And they call that first child...the guinea pig. At least that was true for us. 7th grader here who is about a year behind in math, IMO (catching up though) and has used Singapore 3, 4, 5, and starting 6. Finally we have stuck with something. I just hope it isn't too late. Younger son has been with Singapore since Kindergarten and the difference in his overall math understanding is huge. We come to new concepts and jump the hurdles with ease now.

I wouldn't beat yourself up over it... I doubt very much that changing math books frequently resulted in poor test scores. It sounds to me like your daughter struggled with math and disliked math (or perceived herself as being "bad at math") from a young age. Your switching math books was an entirely valid attempt at finding a math program that fit for her and for you.

I don't think I ever had the same math book series twice. In elementary school, either we moved or the district adopted a new book, or one series went from k-3 and one from 4-6. Pre-algebra was a different publisher from algebra or geometry etc... No two college professors care that their coursebook requirement comes from the same publisher. Math is math. While there are some skills that are good to have before tackling other topics, it's not truly sequential.

If a child had poor retention of history, nobody would suggest it was because they had not used the same textbook series from k-9th grade.

Who knows? Your daughter might dislike math even more and have performed even worse on the test if you *had* stuck with the same series straight through.

I agree. I don't think you can say for sure that it was simply because you switched math books.

And consider that students generally have a different math teacher every single year. So essentially the methods are switched every single year. Different teachers do things differently. In elementary some of the teachers may be extremely weak in math on top of that. Schools often shift gears in terms of approaches and books at various times in the student's career.

She may just struggle with math. It doesn't mean she is beyond hope and it doesn't mean what you have done screwed her up. I honestly don't believe that. It could even boil down to her attitude towards math. I hated math in school, with a passion. I was a good student, but when it came to math I didn't even do my homework because I hated it so much. I don't know how I managed the grades I got. Now as an adult I love math and things are clicking for me. I think my attitude is just better.

I just wanted to say that my dd was doing very, very well in math in her grade school years. She advanced to Singapore 4A by the end of 2nd grade. She LOVED math, until I switched to MUS-stupidly taking her back to the beginning to avoid...Gaps! She couldn't stand the dvd instruction and strongly disliked the lack of variety with her lessons. Even still, she progressed quickly through the levels of MUS, doing very well-until one day she just sobbed and said she was so bored! So...I switched her to CLE. From there it gets complicated as she went into PS for family-crisis reasons. Once in school, she was put in the "gifted" math classes, getting all As and bringing work home only a couple of times.

All of that to say, it is MY fault she is where she is. Only in the last 2 yrs has her attitude toward math been negative. And really, I can't blame her!

That's all...

It isn't just math. This rings for not sticking with reading and spelling too.

I want to add ... take it easy. :D We accomplish lots with a very relaxed attitude. Oh, one more thing, you don't have to finish the book .... ever!

Yes...maybe we didn't wait until 10...but I think if we had waited until now (9 in Nov) to start with my twins we would have been a lot happier.