Menu

SM for those that are all thumbs?

Monarch Room

I've been working through RSB with my ds, and it's been going well. So far he really enjoys math. The problem is that I have both RS and SM. I love both the approaches. I thought he would benefit from learning with a more hands on approach, but I also love the mastery offered in SM. I wanted to get through a significant portion of RS before beginning SM. We're almost on lesson 60 which is where I want for RS to wane and SM to increase. I think I'm going to do the rest of RS through the year maybe once a week, and finish it through the summer.

I have the SM HIG, 1a, 1b workbooks, textbooks, CWP and EP. After doing RS, I'm wondering how you all juggle all the books? It seems clumsy to me to have all these books so separate. I am totally sold on them, but I'm wondering if you get the hang of it to where the lessons seem more fluid rather than choppy as you are switching from one book to the other. I feel I need to invest in a bunch of post-it bookmarks to make this work. I think I will probably not worry so much about the extra practice unless I feel he is struggling with a concept. I know tons of people love CWP, but it seems like a lot to add on top of it all. Or is it just me?

Anyway, I'm I perceiving all these components to be more complicated to work with than they are in reality?

Edited by waternclay

After going through RS B, you probably won't be using the HIG's all that much at the 1A/B level except for the mental math exercises. The exception might be for subtraction if your child doesn't intuitively understand it as the inverse of addition (both of my kids did, but YMMV).

Do you use a planner? I find that helps with keeping straight which Singapore book my student is doing on which day.

Do you use a planner? I find that helps with keeping straight which Singapore book my student is doing on which day.

I am "working" on using a planner :) I have a MWF, T/TH schedule that is pretty basic. I plan on putting things down on paper over the next few weeks. This is a basic thing that would certainly make it all so much easier huh? Thank you :)