Menu

Kinetic books physics w/o solutions manual?

I've been looking at Kinetic books physics and reading some threads about it. I understand that there is a solutions manual (which I do not see mentioned on the website) that is no longer available to homeschoolers. So, is this not a stand-alone course for homeschoolers-- are there not enough problems with solutions given in the text? If so what could be used as a source for practice problems/solutions? Anyone used this program (either conceptual or principles) without this elusive solutions manual?

My dd tried using Kinetic Physics last year. She found that even with the 'elusive solutions manual' that it was difficult. At least for us, there was not enough instruction to solve the problems and the solutions were not always clear. She ended up switching to the BJU Physics book and did quite well. The TE comes with a CD that has complete solutions.

Yvonne in NE

I agree that KB is impossible without the solutions manual unless you have someone in your household who can spend substantial time explaining difficult topics and working out the problems with your student. Luckily, my husband has a masters degree in mechanical engineering and has willingly taken this on. My daughter is strong in pre-calc, but does not necessarily think like an engineer in terms of "seeing" how to set up the problems. He has probably been spending 6+ hours a week with her going over concepts & problems she couldn't understand.

I agree that KB is impossible without the solutions manual unless you have someone in your household who can spend substantial time explaining difficult topics and working out the problems with your student. Luckily, my husband has a masters degree in mechanical engineering and has willingly taken this on. My daughter is strong in pre-calc, but does not necessarily think like an engineer in terms of "seeing" how to set up the problems. He has probably been spending 6+ hours a week with her going over concepts & problems she couldn't understand.

I think this is really going to depend on the student. Our ds completed it a couple of yrs ago and had no problems. I know absolutely nothing about physics. He would discuss topics w/his dad at the dinner table, but dh did not have to spend any time working w/him w/the exception of a very few problems. We do have the SM, but ds was even able to identify a couple where they had made mistakes. (But this ds loves physics......that could be a major difference.)

The love of physics would definitely be a big deal!

My dd would be working on a physics problem and look at me and say, "And when am I EVER going to use this again?" :) She is a senior this year and is delighted that she is finished with science in high school!

Yvonne in NE

I understand that there is a solutions manual (which I do not see mentioned on the website) that is no longer available to homeschoolers.

Why can homeschoolers not get the solutions manual? Is it actually unavailable, or do you just have to jump through some hoops to get it (like Wheelocks latin)?

Ruth

Why can homeschoolers not get the solutions manual? Is it actually unavailable, or do you just have to jump through some hoops to get it (like Wheelocks latin)?

Ruth

They do not give it to homeschoolers. There's a discussion about it in this thread:

http://www.welltrainedmind.com/forums/showthread.php?t=265068&highlight=kinetic+physics+solutions

OK so rereading that thread I see that someone used this program successfully along with the Giancoli study guide for problems/solutions, so I will look into that.