Menu

"Success" of various homeschooling philosophies?

I've been in continual research mode for over a year about homeschooling, its variations and unique philosophies. It has occurred to me that some of the strongest proponents for various philosophies under the homeschooling umbrella are still in the pioneering stage, meaning that they do not have adult children that can be looked to for "proof" of what they espouse is the correct way to educate a child. I understand completely that this would be a subjective analysis but the fact that most of these kids are only at the latest in their early 20s doesn't really give an observer any real insight into the longterm happiness of the child and the "success" of the method.

Obviously SWB is the darling of classical education at home being successful - and boy has she been. But I wonder if some of that isn't to do with her own personality and her own unique gifts and drive to achieve in a specific area. She clearly has a strong aptitude for writing and may well have still been a successful writer even if schooled in a more traditional way.

On the other end of the spectrum is Sandra Dodd and her oldest child is only in his early 20s and I *think* still living at home. And there is nothing wrong with that, but I can't really gauge how well a child has been "educated" if they haven't had the opportunity to stretch their wings and apply it - even if that means they become a potter or a professional dancer. I don't think every single person needs to have a PhD and know several foreign languages to be a contributing member of society.

Hmm, I guess what I am trying to say is, is that it is awfully hard to put long-term hopes on any one philosophy without knowing that there is indeed some sort of half-guarantee at the end that your child is going to be OK and will be well-prepared for life. I cannot see how unschoolers can stand the uncertainty of it all. I plan on sticking with classical education because it seems the most certain in terms of "preparedness". If my kids are classically educated then they will have more options as they choose who they want to become as adults. But it feels dishonest to tell my kids they must learn calculus and Latin when I was never educated in those subjects and I feel like I am very happy, stable and independent as an adult.

I'm feeling a little low tonight, feeling like "education" is nothing more than a crapshoot and hoping you can figure your child out enough to help them become who they really want and need to be to be a positive, contributing member of society. When it comes down to brass tacks - I don't care if my kids ever go to college if they find something that they are good at and can become financially independent doing and is morally upright. I want them to have great self-confidence and just be happy people. And at the same time I think it is outrageous for a parent to not help their 5-8 year old child learn how to read and hope that it will just happen somewhere along the line (radical unschooling).

I did read this quote by Sandra Dodd today and it hit me right in the gut:

"If your child is more important than your vision of your child, life becomes easier."

Of course I want my CHILD to be the most important thing but it is hard to not have plans and hopes for them, isn't it?

Do the best you can. Love your child. Hope for the best, whatever that may be. Be prepared for the unexpected, because while most kids will take advantage of the opportunities you provide, not all will. Be willing to accept the unexpected with love and support.

That's really all we can do. We don't control our kids, and at a certain point they become independent. What they do at that point is out of our control.

TJEd is a very popular philosophy where I am. It's unschooling with a lot of talking about classics. We started our homeschooling journey with TJEd, but we stopped following it when I started using my brain to analyze its methods. I blogged about TJEd here:

http://classicalhouseoflearning.wordpress.com/2011/06/25/what-makes-a-good-educational-philosophy/

The people who follow it seem to follow it religiously and they actively proselyte that it's the best/only way to create leaders. The new names for TJEd are "Leadership Education" or the cringeworthy "Freedomship Education." There is a "university" founded by the head TJEd guru and it doesn't seem to be producing the statesmen that it is supposed to.

Anyway, I decided to ditch TJEd and work more toward the type of education Thomas Jefferson and other well-educated folks actually had. TWTM is a nice blend of classical and modern. It's also very practical and just makes good sense. :-) While I suppose I still don't have proof that it is the best homeschooling method, it seems more likely than others to produce the end product I'm looking for: critically-thinking adults with a solid foundation in basic skills and a global view of the world.

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I think that the general atmosphere of the home is more important than a specific curriculum, or even a specific schooling method. I think that loving, caring, involved, interested parents who inspire and foster a love of learning and who meet the educational and emotional needs of their children will, for the most part, turn out stellar adults. I think that if you take the child of uninvolved parents who don't have any respect for education and put this child in even the very best school or homeschool program, it is unlikely that he'll rise to his potential.

And I'm not saying "I don't think an intensive WTM-style homeschooling curriculum is worth the effort" at all. I'm saying that I don't think that sweating the small stuff is worth it, so long as the foundation is strong.

I know of some unschoolers who've had their children go on to success and independence. I think success probably comes to all different types of homeschoolers as long as they've found a method that suits their lifestyle, their family and their goals.

Yes, but that is the crux of the issue, isn't it? Most of us have multiple children in our families and each of those children could have very different educational needs. If a child is serious about wanting to become a nuclear physicist then that is going to require a much different educational track than a child who wants to become a glass-blower.

That is why it feels like a crap-shoot to me. I could be torturing my future glass-blower child with Latin for years before really trusting and believing that that is the path that is going to make them happiest and that they just haven't learned enough "content" yet to know for sure where their true interests lie. But a child who does want to become an nuclear physicist is going to be in a tough spot if they didn't self-teach reading until 13+ and has been left to their own devices by parents who believe they will just figure it all out if they want it badly enough.

It depends on the kid. I am not saying that I think unschooling is the route to take (I'm definitely not hopping on that train) BUT I am trying to evaluate what MY goals for my children are and how to give it my best shot to make that happen, because, yes, at 6, 3, and 1, I do not believe they can choose their own direction. Independence is a heck of a long way off and I'm making the decisions for the foreseeable future. But I feel like I am shooting blind here.

It's complicated, isn't it?

Edited by drexel

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I think that the general atmosphere of the home is more important than a specific curriculum, or even a specific schooling method.

It's actually not an unpopular opinion here. We have discussed this very thing many times. :001_smile:

I agree completely. OP, the good news is that you don't need to stress about the proof of various methods, because who you (and your dh) are and the relationship you have with your dc are much, much more important to the way your dc turn out (imho, of course.)

It is complicated, and it is a crap shoot. The important thing is that you give them a good foundation and teach them how to learn. How you go about it really isn't the issue...different philosophies work for different people....it's just that you do it. No need to worry over the unschooling methods since that's not your thing. Just do what you are comfortable with and trust that your children will learn and grow.

Also a person's success in life is not based solely on their educational background. If it were, then everyone from a great school would be a sucess and no one from a poor school would be. But life isn't quite like that.

Even within a nuclear family there are different personalities, choices and outcomes in life.

My goal is to give my kids the most tools for life that I can and to give them lots of experience using those tools. To point them to good habits of life and academics and attitude and hard work and perseverance. It is as much to imbue them with the characteristics of Kipling's poem "If" as to fill their heads with names of presidents and kings.

I personally find unschooling to be rather self centered, as it seems like learning is valued in so far as it satisfies the desires of the student. I don't expect my kids to know that they like to listen to Bach or Tchaikovsky unless I've introduced them. I don't expect them to thrill to the St. Crispin's Day speech in Henry V unless they've watched it be passionately performed. I don't think they can decide to wrestle with algebra as a tool to describe the world, or to delve into the natural sciences or to become passionate about a historical period unless they are first introduced to those tools and topics.

Long ago, somone on the board described their schooling style as "classical unschooling". Her point was that her kids couldn't develop passions about things that they didn't know existed. Her job was to give them lots of exposure, lots of framework, lots of tools for dealing with the world (of science and math and literature) and THEN to give them time and space to follow their passions. This is a model that I've tried to keep in my head over the years.

There are many sucessful homeschoolers over on the high school and college boards. There are many who haven't chosen paths that I long for my kids to follow. There are joys and struggles shared here all the time.

I don't think that homeschooling (not even classical homeschooling or Christian homeschooling) is a silver bullet to happiness and sucess. It is the best plan that my family has come up with to deal with our particular children and our particular life experience (global nomads courtesy of military service).

Your mileage may vary.

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I think that the general atmosphere of the home is more important than a specific curriculum, or even a specific schooling method. I think that loving, caring, involved, interested parents who inspire and foster a love of learning and who meet the educational and emotional needs of their children will, for the most part, turn out stellar adults. I think that if you take the child of uninvolved parents who don't have any respect for education and put this child in even the very best school or homeschool program, it is unlikely that he'll rise to his potential .

Public or private or home school can't guarantee success. I think personality, home environment, expectations and just plain unforeseen circumstances play a role. It's not a crapshoot but it's far from a sure thing.

Yes, but that is the crux of the issue, isn't it? Most of us have multiple children in our families and each of those children could have very different educational needs. If a child is serious about wanting to become a nuclear physicist then that is going to require a much different educational track than a child who wants to become a glass-blower.

That is why it feels like a crap-shoot to me. I could be torturing my future glass-blower child with Latin for years before really trusting and believing that that is the path that is going to make them happiest and that they just haven't learned enough "content" yet to know for sure where their true interests lie. But a child who does want to become an nuclear physicist is going to be in a tough spot if they didn't self-teach reading until 13+ and has been left to their own devices by parents who believe they will just figure it all out if they want it badly enough.

It depends on the kid. I am not saying that I think unschooling is the route to take (I'm definitely not hopping on that train) BUT I am trying to evaluate what MY goals for my children are and how to give it my best shot to make that happen, because, yes, at 6, 3, and 1, I do not believe they can choose their own direction. Independence is a heck of a long way off and I'm making the decisions for the foreseeable future. But I feel like I am shooting blind here.

I can speak to this. I was raising dc who seemed to be very inclined one way, and then the oldest two radically changed their interests over the course of a year or two. Luckily ;) I had given them a foundation in all areas, or they would (a.) be playing catch-up, and (b.) more importantly, not have had the basic skills to explore or enjoy their new love.

My problem with most unschooling advice is that it is often hyper-focused on a way of education that only meets the needs of one personality type. I have a friend with a very check-of-the-boxes dc who learns best from very explicit textbook instruction. She was an unschooler, and when her ds was flailing, the advice was to get more and more relaxed. She was threatened and browbeaten by unschooling leaders with the dire consequences of using textbooks. Eventually, she learned to trust herself and - after several years - has figured out to meet the needs of her ds. Ideally, unschooling would be about following the lead of the child, but it has become something else.

Anyway, I disagree that the primary years will look much different for a glassblower or a nuclear physicist. The basic tools needed to learn are the same, and that's what we spend K-8 on anyway.

Edited by angela in ohio

Another thing to research is twin studies. Twins separated at birth, adopted by two different families, different lifestyles, geographic locations (don't know about education). Often both end up in the same careers. Suggesting genes play a significant roll.

Yes, twins raised apart tend to be more similar than twins raised together, presumably because they weren't trying to differentiate themselves from anyone LOL.

I have an adult child. I did the best I could within my circumstances. He is currently doing the best he can in his circumstances. That's about all anyone can ask.

TJEd is a very popular philosophy where I am. It's unschooling with a lot of talking about classics. We started our homeschooling journey with TJEd, but we stopped following it when I started using my brain to analyze its methods. I blogged about TJEd here:

http://classicalhouseoflearning.wordpress.com/2011/06/25/what-makes-a-good-educational-philosophy/

The people who follow it seem to follow it religiously and they actively proselyte that it's the best/only way to create leaders. The new names for TJEd are "Leadership Education" or the cringeworthy "Freedomship Education." There is a "university" founded by the head TJEd guru and it doesn't seem to be producing the statesmen that it is supposed to.

Anyway, I decided to ditch TJEd and work more toward the type of education Thomas Jefferson and other well-educated folks actually had. TWTM is a nice blend of classical and modern. It's also very practical and just makes good sense. :-) While I suppose I still don't have proof that it is the best homeschooling method, it seems more likely than others to produce the end product I'm looking for: critically-thinking adults with a solid foundation in basic skills and a global view of the world.

Thank you for posting that link. I did a little bit of reading about TJEd, and was inititially very intrigued. But there were too many slightly "off" things about it, and I did find the stuff about the diploma mills and the weird conspiracy theories. Your blog post, and the person who commented and left her blog post, really explained a lot to me.

I think that if I hadn't read TWTM first, I could have easily been sucked into the TJEd. I guess it's a good thing that I did! Everything about TWTM just made perfect sense to me. I wanted to like the TJEd, but nothing really made sense.

It depends on what your end goals are. There are plenty of wonderfully productive people who have had only an 8th grade education (or even less). They can hold down a job, have satisfying marriages and uphold the law. That level of achievement is fine. But it can be limiting - esp. if someone is intellectually and creatively capable. I want my children to have the highest level of education that they are capable of. Some people can rise to that level no matter what help they have on the way. But not everyone can. I'd rather have a systematic but engaging education that I do individualize to some extent to each child. I think there are a number of educational philosophies that would provide that kind of education.

You might find this VERY detailed report about how homeschoolers fair in college and beyond interesting. It's called Home Schooling, from the Extreme to the Mainstream. It is the most comprehensive look at homeschooling that I know, and the one I send worried (nosy?) relatives. :tongue_smilie:

My own 2 cents on the question you raise is a version of the "different things work for different families" answer--something I believe. The common denominator among those I see that burn out, or do not serve their children well by homeschooling, is that they get so wedded to a philosophy of education they fail to even look at whether or not it is working for them and their child. In my circles, I'd say I've met more radical unschoolers of this ilk than any other (and don't get me wrong--as much as RU is not a good fit for our family, I do know one family for whom it was the perfect fit for their daughter). But I've also met more 'school-at-home' types who can't lighten up, or switch curricula, or whatever is needed when it is clear their child is not thriving. I truly believe there are multiple routes to successful education and adulthood (including mainstream public school for some!), but we all need to pay attention to our own kids, and not let our preconceived philosophies over-rule what our hearts (and kids!) are telling us. IMNSHO and YMMV, or course. :D

Drexel, I agree with you. How do you know that any of these philosphies are really going to deliver what they say they will? I have at least some skepticism of them all, though I particularly dislike the idea of unschooling.

I think there are not many people who fully subscribe to any one philosophy in real life. I think most are rather eclectic, taking a little of this and a little of that to come up with what seems like the best program they can put together for their kids. This is what I do anyway. I think it is the safest bet actually, a lot safer than just a crapshoot. Take what you think is best about classical and use it. Take the best aspects of Charlotte Mason and use some of them. Use some textbooks and traditional styles of teaching so that the kids will be prepared for classes in that format.

It is good to have a way to try to set long-term goals for each subject, and then decide how best to achieve them. I think that is a better and more reliable strategy than just to pick a homeschooling style and subscribe to it exclusively.

I know of some unschoolers who've had their children go on to success and independence. I think success probably comes to all different types of homeschoolers as long as they've found a method that suits their lifestyle, their family and their goals.

I agree. There are so many factors in different families it's hard to nail down what is right. I know successful unschoolers too that have gone onto college without problems. We're more laid back about table academics than many here. But my kids test way ahead and we do a bunch of extras. Every child and family is unique.

What is your definition of success? Different people will answer this question very differently. For some it means a certain type of degree or marketable skill set. For some it's a certain income level. For some it means a certain kind of lifestyle and religious philosophy. There are as many different definitions as there are people out there.

What are your goals for your child by graduation? For some it means a certain core knowledge. For some it means being accepted into a certain type of adult educational environment. For some it means clarity for your child as to their "calling" in life. This is very individual and no two people are likely to answer exactly the same way.

How do you quantify success? What is "proof" to you that something is working in a measurable way? Different people will list things like test scores, acceptance to colleges or programs, earning potential, satisfaction with life, life long marriages, a certain view of spirituality, etc.

How do you define education? For most Americans it means academics. Some people include things like life skills and quality of relationships (to people, God, money, time, etc.) because they have more holistic views on the subject.

I would warn anyone to avoid the myth that anyone can offer a guarantee when it comes to education, childrearing, etc. How is this even theoretically possible? Has anyone offered such a thing, and if they have, has anyone tested it in some sort of real world scenario? How could they? Anyone with more than a couple of siblings probably has a lot to say on the subject.

I agree that most HSers do not completely follow one particular philosophy. Homeschooling approaches vary significantly. Can anyone with more than a few kids really commit to multiple approaches long term? I think that's probably the reason blending approaches is so common in the HS community. I blend TWTM (which I consider the "spine" of our homeschooling) with lots of Charlotte Mason "Living Books" and TJED's recommended reading list and we keep our eyes open for apprenticeships and mentors in fields of interest for our kids.

As for unschooling, I think the child's delight driven version of it (as opposed to the parent directed hands-on version of unschooling) works very well for highly motivated and gifted students. That's how Thomas Edison's mother did things with him and anything else would have been a disservice to him. But, not every kid has a passion to learn the way Edison did.

I hang around a lot of unschoolers, including a mother unschooled by her scientist father who was John Holt's best friend. She's unschooling her 2 teenagers. Most unschoolers in the group of more than dozen unschooled kids attend college by age 14 and most are doing fine. A few would make you cringe, but doesn't that happen in groups of any type of approach? Didn't we all (in ps) have that great teacher for a class in which some kids failed? Where do place the blame for it?

I don't know how the child's delight driven version works with a larger family. The unschoolers I know have 1-3 children and they tend to be spaced farther apart. Mom can only be one place at one time and everyone with kids knows it's hard to afford the time and money to do everything each child is interested in.

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I think that the general atmosphere of the home is more important than a specific curriculum, or even a specific schooling method. I think that loving, caring, involved, interested parents who inspire and foster a love of learning and who meet the educational and emotional needs of their children will, for the most part, turn out stellar adults. I think that if you take the child of uninvolved parents who don't have any respect for education and put this child in even the very best school or homeschool program, it is unlikely that he'll rise to his potential.

And I'm not saying "I don't think an intensive WTM-style homeschooling curriculum is worth the effort" at all. I'm saying that I don't think that sweating the small stuff is worth it, so long as the foundation is strong.

:iagree:In my house, this is a very popular opinion. ;)

I did read this quote by Sandra Dodd today and it hit me right in the gut:

"If your child is more important than your vision of your child, life becomes easier."

Of course I want my CHILD to be the most important thing but it is hard to not have plans and hopes for them, isn't it?

I can't imagine how someone without hopes and dreams for their children could be a good parent. How could you remove all of those thoughts and feelings and still retain any connection with your child? It doesn't sound natural to me and I don't think removing parts of my own humanity will make me a very good role model for my children.

So I'll happily dream of my children growing up to be quintilingual, alternative energy developers who read widely, do aid work and organically guerilla garden in their spare time. My fancies aren't hurting them because in reality, if my kids grow up with a work ethic and care about more than themselves, I'll happy.

Rosie

One of the main reasons I favor a classical approach is because it's success has been borne out over many generations. I'm not talking about TWTM specifically, I'm talking about the trivium, literature, an integrated, chronological approach to history, a rigorous study of math and science, Latin, logic, etc. TWTM describes a quality education and tells you how to get there, but it isn't new--the methods have been effectively used for many years.

It is and it isn't. It is my job to equip my kids to live the best life they can. What they choose to do with that as adults is their choice. Some kids don't have the capacity to learn at a high level, but those who do should be stretched and pushed to their limits--not in a stressful way, but in a way that inspires and challenges them.

No one respects a parent who stifles her child's physical growth, yet for some reason it is ok in this culture to give a child a substandard education. And many people who homeschool are fine with being a little better than the public schools.

My goal is to equip my kids, academically, spiritually, socially, etc., to do whatever God calls them to do. With my four, I have one who lacks motivation and who who lacks focus. They're all going to learn Latin though, and every other subject and skill that I find essential for a well-educated person. I trust that whatever their occupational outcome, my efforts will not be wasted.

One of the main reasons I favor a classical approach is because it's success has been borne out over many generations. I'm not talking about TWTM specifically, I'm talking about the trivium, literature, an integrated, chronological approach to history, a rigorous study of math and science, Latin, logic, etc. TWTM describes a quality education and tells you how to get there, but it isn't new--the methods have been effectively used for many years.

It is and it isn't. It is my job to equip my kids to live the best life they can. What they choose to do with that as adults is their choice. Some kids don't have the capacity to learn at a high level, but those who do should be stretched and pushed to their limits--not in a stressful way, but in a way that inspires and challenges them.

No one respects a parent who stifles her child's physical growth, yet for some reason it is ok in this culture to give a child a substandard education. And many people who homeschool are fine with being a little better than the public schools.

My goal is to equip my kids, academically, spiritually, socially, etc., to do whatever God calls them to do. With my four, I have one who lacks motivation and who who lacks focus. They're all going to learn Latin though, and every other subject and skill that I find essential for a well-educated person. I trust that whatever their occupational outcome, my efforts will not be wasted.

:iagree:

I am not stuck on what my kids will or won't do but I know it is my job to try and prepare them the best I can for God's will and their own dreams. I know the path there might change along the way. I look for whatever works best for them and so far have been successful finding good fits, when it stops working we will change. I don't think there are any guarantees.

On the unschooling, from my reading, there are different goals. They don't care about success in the traditional sense. I've seen success defined as being able to take the GED and pass it, after tutoring. Success can be doing what they love, regardless of ability to support oneself on a basic level. When I seen someone explaining that they didn't care when/if their kid read or did math etc I realized I was in the wrong camp. I do care and hope to push my kids to their best, whatever that is. That may or not be college but I want them to have that choice. I want them to be good upstanding citizens. We cannot make our children do anything but I think should be careful to just throw up our hands and say none of it matters either.

I've been in continual research mode for over a year about homeschooling, its variations and unique philosophies. It has occurred to me that some of the strongest proponents for various philosophies under the homeschooling umbrella are still in the pioneering stage, meaning that they do not have adult children that can be looked to for "proof" of what they espouse is the correct way to educate a child. I understand completely that this would be a subjective analysis but the fact that most of these kids are only at the latest in their early 20s doesn't really give an observer any real insight into the longterm happiness of the child and the "success" of the method.

There are lots of adults out there who homeschooled as kids. My sister homeschooled in high school and she ended up attending a 1st tier law school. She was actually one of the youngest people to graduate from their law school. She's started her own law firm and is trying to build it up.

I think my mom basically just bought her textbooks (while she was homeschooling) and threw them in her direction. My sister didn't take any enrichment classes or anything. I doubt anyone helped her with any of the academics. In fact, my mom said the school superintendent called and told my mom not to let my sister be "seen outside" during school hours...or someone might call CPS on them. :confused: Sheesh, whatever.

I don't teach a philosophy, I teach my child. Sounds trite, but I try to keep that in mind with every step. With one child, I only get one shot at homeschooling, and part of me HAS to feel like I get this right. What is right to me? That my son enjoy learning, have a desire to pick up a book after college, and have the gumption to go after what he wants, not feeling like his homeschooling education held him back.

We started classical education, particularly LCC, in our 5th year (5th grade). We've modified since then, I'm using the phrase adapted classical. He wants to do Japanese instead of Greek, okay. He wanted to break off and study Asian history last year, great! With a classical bent, I feel like I'm teaching a person how to think, how to process, not just marking a box on schedule.

Long term success? We shall see.

I used to work for a veterinarian who had been classically educated at the Boston Latin School. This was eons before kids were even on the radar with me, much less homeschooling. I wish I had paid more attention to his praises of classical education. He truly was one of the smartest men I've ever known. He flew jets in the Navy before he became a veterinarian, owning his own practice. I never saw him back down from a challenge. Obviously that's not homeschooling, but the memory of his approval for classical ed has stuck with me as we are on this journey.

I remember seeing an interview with one of Colfax children way back in the 80s. They were unschoolers in Northern California whose kids went to Harvard. They wrote at least one book about their journey.

here is a link to what their kids are doing.

http://www.homeschoolnewslink.com/homeschool/articles/vol5iss6/colfaxcorner.html

The Colfaxes came to my mind as well.

I read a very interesting study one time about the graduates of "Sudbury" schools. That's kind of like group "unschooling" and I think the results would be relevant to a discussion of the merits of "unschooling". The Sudbury graduates, by and large, were as successful in college and their careers as graduates of other private schools.

This is my observation also. I think you could use almost any method or most curriculum with enthusiasm and devotion and your children would be well educated. I grew up on a cattle ranch in eastern Oregon. I learned that you feed and water animals every day or they die. I feed and water my children's minds every day. It isn't always fun, but not doing it is not optional. Most days we do have fun though, most days we grow, we advance and we learn how much there is to learn.

But I will say that we are a family that values education, we value it enough to spend time and money on it instead of perfect landscaping or new furniture. Last year we took our kids on safari. My sister was horrified because we could have added a new bathroom with that money. I told her that my kids saw the last white rhino in the world, they would always remember that, and they learned a lot about animals and biology. They had the experience of being the only white people wherever they went for weeks. It was very good for them to learn what it feels like to be a minority. To me that is more important than a second bathroom.

I don't teach a philosophy, I teach my child. Sounds trite, but I try to keep that in mind with every step. With one child, I only get one shot at homeschooling, and part of me HAS to feel like I get this right. What is right to me? That my son enjoy learning, have a desire to pick up a book after college, and have the gumption to go after what he wants, not feeling like his homeschooling education held him back.

:iagree:I've always taught my son, not a curriculum or philosophy. If something isn't working for him, I find something that does

Off topic, but the best administrator I ever had when I was a ps teacher used to say she knew she was talking to a good teacher when the answer to "What do you teach?" was "I teach children ________". Not I teach math or history or exceptional ed, but I teach children math or history or who have special needs. It's the same for us as homeschoolers. We teach our children. Period.

Maybe this is an unpopular opinion, but I think that the general atmosphere of the home is more important than a specific curriculum, or even a specific schooling method. I think that loving, caring, involved, interested parents who inspire and foster a love of learning and who meet the educational and emotional needs of their children will, for the most part, turn out stellar adults.

:iagree: I strongly believe, from my own life experience and those who I have known (so take it FWIW) that genetics and home environment, by far, play the biggest roles in shaping who we become. While I think this method gives our children the best chance of success, I do not think it can trump home environment and genetics.

After 16 years of homeschooling(two are grown and out in the world, one in college and one still at home), here is what I know:

1. I can't control them.

2. Any success is by the grace of God.

Take one day at a time, cover the basics well, change it if it's not working and pray, pray,pray! Don't make yourself crazy by worrying.

This is my observation also. I think you could use almost any method or most curriculum with enthusiasm and devotion and your children would be well educated. I grew up on a cattle ranch in eastern Oregon. I learned that you feed and water animals every day or they die. I feed and water my children's minds every day. It isn't always fun, but not doing it is not optional. Most days we do have fun though, most days we grow, we advance and we learn how much there is to learn.

But I will say that we are a family that values education, we value it enough to spend time and money on it instead of perfect landscaping or new furniture. Last year we took our kids on safari. My sister was horrified because we could have added a new bathroom with that money. I told her that my kids saw the last white rhino in the world, they would always remember that, and they learned a lot about animals and biology. They had the experience of being the only white people wherever they went for weeks. It was very good for them to learn what it feels like to be a minority. To me that is more important than a second bathroom.

I love the idea of "feeding and watering a child's mind daily". Thank you for that quote.