Menu

Gander Newfoundland and 9/11...a beautiful story

Ria

On Sept 11 when American airspace was shut down, flights were rerouted. Many returned to their points of origin, but many landed in Canada. Gander, Newfoundland, is a small town of 10,000 people. On that day, 38 passenger jets landed there, swelling the population by almost 7,000.

Tom Brokaw did a remarkable story about Gander and how the town turned out to help the stranded travelers during the next few days. There is some footage of the Twin Towers (not much, just letting you know) but the real story is how this town helped people in need. Some even housed the travelers in their own homes.

This video is 45 minutes long, but it's one of the most amazing stories I've ever seen. I watched it when it was broadcast during the Olympics, and it's now online.

http://jaretmanuel.com/msnbc-gander-tom-brokaw-911-operation-yellow-ribbon-story

(Note: when I clicked it there was an ad in the beginning that was in very poor taste....just ignore it....the film starts shortly thereafter)

On Sept 11 when American airspace was shut down, flights were rerouted. Many returned to their points of origin, but many landed in Canada. Gander, Newfoundland, is a small town of 10,000 people. On that day, 38 passenger jets landed there, swelling the population by almost 7,000.

Tom Brokaw did a remarkable story about Gander and how the town turned out to help the stranded travelers during the next few days. There is some footage of the Twin Towers (not much, just letting you know) but the real story is how this town helped people in need. Some even housed the travelers in their own homes.

This video is 45 minutes long, but it's one of the most amazing stories I've ever seen. I watched it when it was broadcast during the Olympics, and it's now online.

http://jaretmanuel.com/msnbc-gander-tom-brokaw-911-operation-yellow-ribbon-story

(Note: when I clicked it there was an ad in the beginning that was in very poor taste....just ignore it....the film starts shortly thereafter)

That's great!

The same thing happened here in the Halifax region (although we have more than 10,000 people here). I think we received around 8,000 passengers at the airport, and they were all billeted out to local arenas, hotels, and people's homes. I took a walk with my then-little kids up to a local school where passengers were sleeping/eating, and offered our home as a resting place (but people were pretty well settled by then). It was amazing being at the school and milling about with people speaking so many different languages all in one little spot. I have found since moving here 15 years ago that Maritimers are a hospitable lot.

If you've ever been to Gander, I'm sure you'd agree that there are no better people on the planet.

This photo always stands out to me. The Halifax airport is not huge and it took an extra 45 planes that were scheduled for the US. http://www.airliners.net/photo/188171/ That building in the lower right hand corner is the airport - all of it :)

What an amazing story.. Thanks for sharing..

I don't know if I'm going to make it through this weekend. My daughter was playing God Bless America on the piano this morning and I just about lost it.. It's just too much to relive this.. It's going to be a long weekend! :crying:

That's great!

The same thing happened here in the Halifax region (although we have more than 10,000 people here). I think we received around 8,000 passengers at the airport, and they were all billeted out to local arenas, hotels, and people's homes. I took a walk with my then-little kids up to a local school where passengers were sleeping/eating, and offered our home as a resting place (but people were pretty well settled by then). It was amazing being at the school and milling about with people speaking so many different languages all in one little spot. I have found since moving here 15 years ago that Maritimers are a hospitable lot.

I worked at the airport bookstore that day. :) It was really funny because the first feeling I got from everyone was disbelief, the second was grief and the third was, "We've got to get the house cleaned up," because everyone, co-workers, family and friends expected that we'd be asked to open our homes and billet folks from away. My parents took in a Scottish couple and in American couple who were stranded.

I spent my shift mostly talking to a few dazed travelers and walking the airport looking for folks who needed a bed. It was only a few people who'd arrived at the airport before the twin towers were hit and were flying out. Most had stayed away and the poor folks on the planes were stuck on them for 6 or 7 hours. The sight of all the tails of all the different planes over the fence as I left the airport was something else.

But it was that quick, "We've got to get the house cleaned up," thing that stuck with me. I've been a Nova Scotian for practically all my life but didn't realize how ingrained that reaction to tragedy is here. That idea that we have to put aside whatever else, roll up our sleeves, make the beds and get some warm suppers on and take care of others. Cry later, look after others now.

I worked at the airport bookstore that day. :) It was really funny because the first feeling I got from everyone was disbelief, the second was grief and the third was, "We've got to get the house cleaned up," because everyone, co-workers, family and friends expected that we'd be asked to open our homes and billet folks from away. My parents took in a Scottish couple and in American couple who were stranded.

I spent my shift mostly talking to a few dazed travelers and walking the airport looking for folks who needed a bed. It was only a few people who'd arrived at the airport before the twin towers were hit and were flying out. Most had stayed away and the poor folks on the planes were stuck on them for 6 or 7 hours. The sight of all the tails of all the different planes over the fence as I left the airport was something else.

But it was that quick, "We've got to get the house cleaned up," thing that stuck with me. I've been a Nova Scotian for practically all my life but didn't realize how ingrained that reaction to tragedy is here. That idea that we have to put aside whatever else, roll up our sleeves, make the beds and get some warm suppers on and take care of others. Cry later, look after others now.

That whole last paragraph sums it all up doesn't it. I have never been a maritimer, I've always lived out here in the prairies but I see it out here too whenever there is a tragedy. When the forest fires tore through Slave Lake so many automatically dropped everything, opened their doors to help the families that were evacuated, or donated anything needed to families that lost it all. We have not faced anything to the level of 9/11 in Alberta as far as putting up strangers but I can see that being the initial reaction here too. I see it all the time with smaller scale tragedies, people making sure there is a place for everyone, comfort and food, and then we all commiserate together. So it is definitely not just a Maritime thing, but is a beautiful thing none-the-less.

I was born in Gander and spent some of my later childhood living there (and the rest in other parts of Newfoundland). I know this was a big deal for everyone, and many people made lifelong friends through the experience.

It is good to see this positive side of people in the face of such tragedy. It's nice to be reminded that the vast majority of people in the world would meet each other with love and kindness.