Menu

Landry Academy complaints

Update: I have been offered a free class starting spring, summer, or fall. Greg Landry has replaced the teacher for the rest of the semester.

I've only heard positive reviews of the new teacher. It's Greg Landry himself. ;)

I'm so glad to hear this - I hope the course turns around for your son. You'll have to keep us posted.

• 3 months later...
.....His English teacher is also quite gifted. Her love of literature and poetry comes out in every class. Along with a poetry unit right now, she is taking the class through a "grammar boot camp" that is also perfect for us..... Later in the year, he will be writing more as well as reading and discussing a lot of great literature.

Becky, Could you PM me with the name of the English teacher? A friend is having her son take English from Landry and they really like the teacher. I'm wondering if you are referring to the same person. I'd like to know as I'm considering enrolling my dd in English through Landry. Thanks!

• 3 weeks later...
Update: I have been offered a free class starting spring, summer, or fall. Greg Landry has replaced the teacher for the rest of the semester.

I know this thread is a bit old, but I was wondering how the rest of the class went Sue? I am impressed with how things were handled!

I'm considering one of the two day lab intensives for next fall, does anyone have any feedback on them? They are quite expensive (and I just missed the discount window) so I want to be sure it will be a great experience.

The rest of the class was okay. I'm still struggling to put into words what I thought of it. I'll do the best I can here.

Pros:

• Greg Landry was an excellent teacher - clear and interesting
  • Ds initially enjoyed the heart rate project where they created their own mini-website

Cons:

• Class times had to be shuffled around regularly due to Greg Landry's other commitments
  • Regular audio trouble preempted several classes that were later recorded without students for review
  • Multiple choice tests
  • Not convinced that the class presented the same material as the text
  • The only homework assignments were the heart rate project, which spanned several weeks, and a lab report
  • While the heart rate project was interesting initially, after a week or so it became quite boring because it was same-old, same-old

Although it was a nice gesture to offer a free class, we will likely not be taking advantage of it due to dual enrollment at the CC and PS and basketball.

I wouldn't really recommend the class at the price we paid. I haven't heard anyone else with such of a bad experience with Landry. I guess we just got the lemon.

HTH!

• 3 weeks later...
Guest vera in nj

Sorry to hear you had a bad experience with Landry Aca. I love it. I use them for my 12yr old daughter and 16 yr old son. We have had great experiences. But at the beginning it was a little frustrating because we had to get used to the system. It really is easy when you get the hang of it. Also, the parent has their own site to supervise the child's work. I can actually see all the assignments, handed-in work, grades, teacher comments and communications for my children. I have also had great success in emailing and calling teachers if there was a problem or if I had any questions. Mr. Landry is also very accessible and flexible. He is so attentive to the family's needs and has worked with us financially since my husband in now unemployed. The pricing is comparable and even better than many other on-line courses of which none would work with me on payments like Landry Aca. does. There is no perfect system. Some teachers are better than others, but Landry Academy is very very good and I highly recommend it.

• 1 month later...

Sorry folks are discouraged and frusterated. Your experience may depend upon the teacher. DD is taking American Literature and her teacher is very organized and helpful. Everything she needs to be successful in the class is available on Haiku. Mrs. Guera even made a personal call to check on an assignment that was not done correctly. We will be attending the Biology Science Intensive in Memphis in 2013. I just wish I knew when they discounted the classes so I could register early and save 50%!

On a positive note, you have me looking at Landry Academy just because he dealt with an issue so well. :001_smile: Truly, problems in all things are expected, but customer service seems to be sadly lacking. For a person and/or company to go to extreme lengths (replacing a teacher and teaching the class himself) is commendable and says a lot to me about the high character of the company. Hmmm... Moseying over to their website. :D

• 2 weeks later...
Guest oleyvalley

I had two children enrolled for several classes this year. we are very staisfied and have enrolled in additional classes for next year.

6th grade son: Intro World History, Intro to Physics, English 101, Saxon 7/6

all four teachers were very organized and my son is having a very positive experience.

10th grade daughter took: Landry: Pre-Law, Forensic Anatomy, Chemistry, Geometry, CSI, TPS: English 3, Spanish II, World History

Daughter had a full load but with the ofset schedules the combination has worked well.

Believe it or not, this is the first I have heard of Landry! Not sure how I've missed it being mentioned before. :confused: Looks like they have some great class choices, but a little pricy considering I would pay the same amount with books for a duel credit cc course here in town. It's something I may consider if the cc proves impossible to get classes with though. ;) Our cc is really struggling for money right now, as are all of the California schools, and I hear major cuts are on the horizon. :glare:

• 4 weeks later...

My two cents...

We used Landry in 2010/11 before he offered so many new classes. We used him for Anatomy and Phsyiology, and he was the teacher. Overall, it was a good experience.

Since it worked so well, I signed up my other two for classes in 2011/12. The classes were digital photography, aviation history, and critical thinking. Digital Photography has worked out ok. My intention was for my daughter to get a feel of photography to see if she wanted to pursue it. It was not a particularly challenging class, but she has learned from it. She has decided to take a photography class at the local college. Aviation history was good for my son. He really liked the teacher, and the teacher worked with us when my son accidentally hit enter too early causing a 0 on a test. He was extremely nice and understanding of our ineptness with the technology. This semester my son is taking critical thinking, and our experience has not been so great. He is not relating to the teacher at all, and I have been frustrated with her teaching style. I have emailed her, and to her credit she always responds. I don't think anyone is to blame, it's just more a teaching style that isn't working for us.

So all this is to say, I think so much depends on the teacher you get when you take the class. And, you won't know about that until you're in the middle of it. I'm debating on what/if we will take classes this school year. It is a lot of money to spend.

I will say, Mr. Landry is extremely cooperative in trying to work things out.