Menu

CNN has a 9/11: How the morning unfolded video...

Ria

My son and I picked up some books from the library the other day. He is only 12 so he doesn't remember anything. He is really interested right now in learning about September 11th. I am torn about letting him watch the coverage from that day especially because he has severe anxiety and I worry it might make things worse. But on the other hand it's a lesson in history I want him to understand. Anyhow we may end up watching CNN because their coverage seems good.

My dd was just 5, and she still remembers this as the day when I kept telling her to watch another video, something that was unprecedented in our house. She didn't see much footage, but I was glued to the TV all day. I filled the bathtub and all of our pots with water and sent DH out for max cash from the ATM just in case.

If you ever get a chance, watch "Three Days of the Condor" with Robert Redford. It is from 1975. (It is actually quite different from the book of the same name.)

In it, Redford is a "reader" for the CIA - he reads everything and puts disparate bits of information together. You know - what would this weird thing happening over here have to do with these 2 other weird things happening over there - a puzzle maker guy.

Long story short, Sydney Pollack directed the film and put a super secret CIA headquarters in the Twin Towers (this is 1975, remember). After 9/11, more than a few people in the gvt speculated that perhaps some people in the world may have actually thought the CIA had a secret HQ in the towers.

The power of movies.

(and the conclusion of that one is frighteningly prescient considering events of the last 10 years)

a

My hubby called me from work and told me to turn on the tv. I turned it on just a few minutes before the second plane hit. When it did, it felt as if some had punch me in the stomach and I fell to the floor crying. To this day, my hubby can not tell me to turn on the tv that I don't ask why. My kids were 16, 9, 8, 5 & 2. The youngest two don't remember it of course and while they have read about it and heard about it, I don't know that they have ever seen video footage of it. I am thinking that they are old enough for that now. I want them to see it because reading about something and seeing it are two different things. Right now, I don't think that they understand or fully appreciate what it was like. Of course, I will watch it with them but first I need to get my tears under control. :crying:

I watched the first two videos and a little of the third one. It is heart wrenching. I cry every time I think about the events of 9/11 and I was on the other side of the country. I watched it at school on TV and saw the second plan hit the other tower. My stomach is sick after seeing it again. I watch it every time its available. I think it's very importaint to never forget. Historically speaking, this is the most importaint thing I think I have ever lived through and I won't let the people who lost their lives be forgotton as long as Im still a live.

I was listening to Here and Now on NPR this afternoon while running errands. I didn't hear the beginning, but a writer was reading his journal from 9/11 and the following days (he and his then-girlfriend, now-wife lived in NYC at the time). He kept having to stop reading because he got choked up over the memories. I was getting choked up while listening. DO NOT listen to that kind of thing while driving. It was just so sad.

I will never forget that day. I walked into my 2nd block class and as I walked into the classroom, the second plane hit the towers. Fittingly enough, the class was "Current Events". My teacher looked at all of us and said "you don't get more current than this."

I can't watch the coverage without bawling my eyes out.