Menu

Supplementing CHOW with SOTW for 4th grade?

provenance61

Our son is in 4th grade and we are just starting to HS this year. We are doing Calvert as a spine but always planned to supplement with additional readings and unit studies.

We did get the Child's History of the World (CHOW) for the history text. I like the readability of the book and the ability to put history in context. (I have an undergrad degree in history, and always felt more people would like history if it weren't presented in such a dry manner.) On looking at the online copy, though, I thought that it was so simple that supplementing might be advisable even for 4th.

Many have mentioned SOTW and I was wondering about supplementing parts of CHOW with readings from SOTW. Any thoughts/suggestions?

Amy

As long as you find literature selections and map work (assuming you do not get the entire set of workbooks too), you can cover world history in a year.

However, if you decide to break it apart, you will need to use something like Kingfisher or Usborne to supplement. To teach outlining, I would use the Kingfisher (even for narration).

We use CHOW and SOTW for reading here. MOH is our spine. You might want to look at History Odyssey as well.

It really depends on the depth and scope of the study for history that you want this year.

Can someone explain what MOH stands for? Also wondering if you could give me the full titles of History Odyssey, Kingfisher, Usborne. Would like to look these up on Amazon and also get more info on the books.

Chrissy, you use CHOW and SOTW for your 5th grader? How do you balance the two? I saw on Amazon some SOTW materials, would it be possible to buy the book for the time period we are starting, and read the two side by side?

I was thinking of something in a more textbook format that would supplement the story-like CHOW and give more details. But any suggestions for a 4th grader would be much welcomed.

Amy

Mystery of History - MOH

Kingfisher Encyclopedia of World History (I use red book.)

Usborne Internet-Linked Encyclopedia of World History

I add reading from CHOW and SOTW to our MOH lesson. Yes, you could use them both. They are scheduled together, I think, on Paula's Archives. If not, shout, and I can take out those two from our ancients line up. I use a more chronological chunking though and do not proceed directly with either book. :)