Menu

Calling Dr. Hive

Has anyone here ever developed (or heard of anyone developing) high blood pressure as a direct result of a major surgery?

Before last Friday I've never had a high blood pressure reading in my life, including in the days and weeks immediately preceding my surgery on 9/2. Following surgery my BP was alarmingly high, to the point where they were giving me BP meds in the IV. Turns out the tube that my pain medication was supposed to be coming through had a blockage (I told them it wasn't working) and so they attributed it to pain, which they say is not uncommon. The problem is that the readings continued to be up and down even until I was discharged from the hospital on Sunday. I came home with a prescription for blood pressure medication and an order to take and track the BP and see my GP (I guess I should find one of those) within a month.

Today I bought a cuff and my BP was 150/103. That's pretty darn high, especially considering I'm taking BP medication twice a day (once so far today, this morning). Prior to Friday, the highest reading I've ever had was 130/85, which was quite elevated for my norm of about 120/75.

My question to the Hive (and I do have a call in to my GYN so I'm just looking here for anecdotal information), is how long should I just "record" these measurements and do nothing about it before I...well...do something about it. Meaning, how many high readings in a row before I find and call a GP? The internist who prescribed the medication at the hospital said to see a doc "within a month." I don't want to panic, but I'm definitely concerned and I don't want to be an idiot, either.

And how the heck can one just develop high BP literally over night? Seems odd to me, but I'm not a doctor and I don't play one on TV.

Did you retain a lot of fluid from surgery? Are you feet, ankles and possibly hands swollen? Are you having any trouble breathing? You might want to go to a fire department and get a free BP check from a quality devise.

I'm assuming you aren't in pain now, and that your surgery was "uncomplicated". If you have swelling, or decreased urine output and a change in urine (cloudy) you might consider kidney damage from hypotension during surgery or nephritis from a reaction to a medication.

I'd see a doctor before a month is out.

(Warning: generalization coming). Gyns are used to a young healthy lot. I've seen more than one miss the warning signs of real problems because they are used to everyone bouncing back and healing up down there.

What pill did they start? See, the questions are piling up. I'd see a doc. It may be nothing, but it may be something.