Menu

My 10th grade dd wants to be homeschooled...help me!

Hi everyone,

My daughter has been homeschooled in the past. She wanted to try public high school so I put her in last year (9th). She did great and excelled. She even completed Geometry in summer school so she could get into Alg 2 this year. So this year her schedule was all pre-AP classes of Chemistry, Alg 2, World History, English. She was also taking her first year of a foreign language. Socially, I was pretty impressed at how well she adjusted to public school. Last year, she was on Homecoming Court and even elected class president. However, she told me yesterday (after being back in school just 2 weeks) that she doesn't want to be there anymore. She said it was fun last year but now she feels like her days are being wasted listening to "drama" etc. that goes on socially. She really wants to get into pharmacy school and has a strong desire to focus on her school work and trying to get scholarships (if possible). So she asked me if she could go back to homeschooling. So today I withdrew her from the public school and now my question..what do I do?? I hadn't even researched any high school curriculum. I know grades/transcripts are huge especially for someone whose goal is to get into pharmacy school and possibly get scholarships. So I need to determine if I should sign her up for some kind of umbrella school and/or a regular distance learning school. Or if I do my own thing what should I use and how do I keep track of grades?

I sincerely appreciate any help you all can give me!! Out of my league here!

Pennsylvania and many other states offer cyber charter schools, considered public school education at home. The cost is free, you receive a laptop for free for school use, AP classes are available, there is no documentation since the child is considered enrolled in public school.

Maybe Pauline will check in. :-) Maybe I'll tag her. :-)

AFAIK, even if you enroll your dd in some sort of distance-learning school, you'll still have to comply with PA's homeschool laws. Check out Pauline's page.

I almost never recommend government-funded virtual schools. They aren't all they're cracked up to be, and they don't give people the freedom they have when they actually homeschool.

So I need to determine if I should sign her up for some kind of umbrella school and/or a regular distance learning school. Or if I do my own thing what should I use and how do I keep track of grades?

Are you saying you want an umbrella school, or your state requires an umbrella school? Or are you just asking whether they are required? You could check HSLDA for your state's homeschooling requirements. In Minnesota, we can just school at home :)

Julie

I would home school this year and start college classes whenever your local colleges will take her. She doesn't have to take a full load, just those courses you want on her resume to be well documented. Maybe take chemistry at home and then take college level chem with a lab or something similar. I would contact the admissions of some of the colleges you are interested in and find out what they are looking for. Will she need SAT subject test? or some schools are happy with the ACT. I find looking at college websites and working backwards is helpful. She seems to know what she wants and is willing to work for it! :)

We live in Texas so there are no legal issues. I am pretty sure homeschools are considered private schools in Texas. I just have anxiety about transcripts and things of this nature. I wonder if I am unnecessarily concerned?

I live in TX too and was full of anxiety during 9th grade last year. Let's just say I have let go of all that for the most part and enjoying the time with my son. He is doing Geometry with Jann in TX online on Wednesdays, P.E. on Fridays with a co-op group, Basketball Homeschool Team on Tuesdays and Thursdays. Outside of that we are doing all of the classes ourselves and having a great time!

What are you thinking about doing with your daughter?

We're not to High School yet, but we did sign our 7th grader up for the Ominbus I online course through Veritas. So far, I am very impressed. He is really enjoying it, and it has taken some (but not all) of the pressure off me. If you don't mind the cost, they have a wide variety of courses to offer, a diploma program, and have just started classes, so it's probably not too late to join.

I'm not a huge help - but I do know that form my research Foerster's Alg 2 with Trig looks to be a solid choice - and I believe there are DVD's out there, but there are also lessons that correspond to it on Hippocampus.com.

Here is what I think we will be doing next year for Chemistry, but we haven't used it yet - again - this is just from research I've done. Maybe someone else will have actually used it...

http://www.scienceforhighschool.com/chemsamples.shtml

I am in the 11th grade and I am not using any umbrella schools or boxed curriculum, I am using lots of my own things and I am really enjoying it so far. Like your dd I want to go into the medical field (nurse) so I know that lots of science, math and english are required to enter medical school. My best friend is doing pharmacy as well, and she need lots of science (all the way to adv. Chem.) and a lot of math (ap calc) and she was accepted into pharmacy school no problem.

So it is possible to be homeschooled without any umbrella schools, harder, but it can be just as fun or even more fun because you can anything you want to your curriculum and can make up the schedule that works for you.

Jann in TX has a great onlinemath class and I am enrolled in her algebra 2 class, you should check HSLDA as well.

Blessings!:001_smile:

Does it hurt her chances for scholarships by being at home? Just checking, its different in each state. Science is a very competitive field.

With her wanting to go to pharmacy school, I would be tempted to call the community college and see when she can go there. Even if its next year, you can get a list of classes she can take and make sure she has taken all that she needs to. Some states allow 10th graders to attend, but not ours.

I would also call a few colleges she is interested in and find out their requirements for homeschoolers. That will also give you ideas of what you need to do.