Menu

Best version of Shakespeare movies

I know I've seen threads on particular versions of the plays, but couldn't find it.

Could anyone recommend your FAVORITE versions of:

Romeo and Juliet

Taming of the Shrew

Hamlet

Merchant of Venice

The Tempest

And any others 14 and 17 year old girls would be likely to enjoy.

(By favorite, I don't necessarily mean truest to the text, but nothing veering off towards Monty Python. The version that will have them liking Shakespeare.)

I know I've seen threads on particular versions of the plays, but couldn't find it.

Could anyone recommend your FAVORITE versions of:

Romeo and Juliet

Taming of the Shrew

Hamlet

Merchant of Venice

The Tempest

And any others 14 and 17 year old girls would be likely to enjoy.

(By favorite, I don't necessarily mean truest to the text, but nothing veering off towards Monty Python. The version that will have them liking Shakespeare.)

Taming of the Shrew--have there been films made other than the one with Elizabeth Taylor and Richard Burton?

Hamlet--I think I would go with either (or both) David Tennant/Patrick Stewart or Kenneth Branagh

Much Ado About Nothing-Kenneth Branagh/Emma Thompson

I have a few others on my list to see but haven't watched them yet...

Midsummer Nights' Dream with Kevin Kline

As You Like It directed by Kenneth Branagh

you might also check out the documentary In Search of Shakespeare with Michael Wood-long but fascinating

Romeo and Juliet :

Obviously not directly the play, but our DSs LOVED West Side Story, based on R&J. Great music and choreography.

Taming of the Shrew

The 1980 BBC staged for TV version starring John Cleese. It is the only version I've seen in which I felt Petrucchio genuinely loved Katherine and did all that he did out of wanting to see her blossom. Which is the only way the very end in which she willingly submits to his authority because she trusts he has her best good at heart makes sense.

Hamlet

NOT the Kenneth Branaugh version. ACK! It's all about HIM... on and on and on, the camera spins around him endlessly...

Merchant of Venice

The fairly recent Al Pachino version was riveting, poignant, packed with real emotion. NOTE: One brief scene in which prostitutes (in the background) are walking around with their dress tops just BELOW what dress tops normally cover. ug... why do they do that...

Macbeth

Kurasawa's Throne of Blood is a great 1950s B&W samurai adaptation of Macbeth.

Much Ado About Nothing

Okay, yes, the Kenneth Branaugh and Emma Thompson version. Wonderful! Our DSs saw this when around age 13-14yo and had no problems understanding it; they loved it! Skip the unnecessary shot of bare bums as everyone is running around getting ready in the short, added intro scene BEFORE the actual play starts.

And try and get to a live stage production locally if you can! Our DSs loved the local high school version of Midsummer Night's Dream. They thought it was fun and funny -- plus they enjoyed seeing several friends in it. In addition to local high schools, see if the local community college or university theater dept. is putting on a Shakespeare play this year. Or if a local or nearby theater group, or traveling group will be doing a version.

Enjoy! Warmest regards, Lori D.

Without a doubt - Mel Gibson's Hamlet. Ok, ok, he's a nutcase, but he speaks Shakespeare fluently! :001_smile:

Also very well done is his mother's role played by Glen Close and Ophelia played by a very young Helena Bonham Carter and Ophelia's father played by Ian Holm.

One of my favorites movies hands down.

Well I think the best way to like Shakespeare is to have a clue what's going on so you don't feel lost. If you haven't had them read abridged versions, you might do that first. There are really good basic retellings by Lamb, Nesbit, etc. that are good. The picture book versions by Bruce Coville are ASTOUNDING. And once they've done those, they might enjoy the comic book versions with parallel text from Oxford which you can buy through VP. I know those resources look young for their ages, but they'll do the job.

When you're actually ready to watch the plays, you can look at your library for the Ambrose productions. You can also watch them online for $4 each. They're WONDERFUL, really wonderful. The acting is great, sets are great, and you can actually follow the plot with them and have a clue what's going on. The way they're divided by scenes, it's easy to watch them and discuss in the breaks with free guides from http://my.hrw.com/nsmedia/novelwise_ms_te_version/find/byauthor.htm#

At least that is what has worked out well for us. It has surprised me how accessible the Bard really is to dd. I figured she'd get flummoxed with all the language. I think it's the prep work we did that got her comfortable knowing the plots, knowing where it was going. Also we started with the comedies (Merchant of Venice, Midsummer Night's Dream, etc.).

I don't know of any movies that really compare to being at a good, live performance, but we loved the CBC serial "Slings and Arrows", a play-within-the-play concerning one Shakespeare play in each of three seasons: Hamlet, the scottish play, and Lear.

Taming of the Shrew

The 1980 BBC staged for TV version starring John Cleese. It is the only version I've seen in which I felt Petrucchio genuinely loved Katherine and did all that he did out of wanting to see her blossom. Which is the only way the very end in which she willingly submits to his authority because she trusts he has her best good at heart makes sense.

:iagree:

Hamlet

NOT the Kenneth Branaugh version. ACK! It's all about HIM... on and on and on, the camera spins around him endlessly...

This version is different that's for sure, but I like it. Visually beautiful and Branagh and Winslet are very good. I like the complete cast.

Edited by Karenciavo