Menu

Why? Oh, why? oh why??? Did I take a break this summer???

If I survive the school year, please remind me next year NOT to take a break for the summer again. I thought I needed one. We did a little work and we made some progress, but for the most part I didn't get much homeschooling done this summer. Now it's Labor Day---and in my area, the first day of school starts tomorrow. I told myself and my children that we would resume our regular homeschooling the day after Labor Day when the neighbors all go back to school. And today...I am freaking out about re-starting our homeschool tomorrow!!!

It wasn't always this way. I used to get excited about the first day of homeschooling. Then, I encountered a struggling learner. As I resume homeschooling, I know that I am going to face that constant feeling of failure again. He won't face it; I will. By homeschooling, he's managed to make a lot of progress with a custom built special education learning materials, carefully selected by moi. He doesn't even realize how much he struggles to learn and remember compared to average children. My children still get excited for the first day of our homeschool, but I get anxious and frustrated.

As I prepare our classroom area, bookshelves and desks for tomorrow, I keep discovering all the curriculum that I've bought over the years that didn't work for us. All the curriculum that I bought for my other children that we never got to because I was too busy trying to teach one child to read. All the old materials that some of my chidren did that one child can't do. All the books and books and books on education, all the advice from brilliant people teaching brilliant children, brilliant things. And several books on dyslexia and special needs.

This is hard. For a while through the summer, my son just seemed like a normal 10 yo boy. Starting tomorrow, I'll struggle again every day to teach him how to do things that most normal 10 yo boys can do with little effort.

Edited by merry gardens

:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I am doing the SAME thing today. My house is a complete cluttered ZOO as I pull, shuffle, re-arrange all the homeschooling supplies and curricula. However, I have had some brief moments of insight about how MUCH we DID do last year.....I feel really proud how much does get accomplished in spite of it all. And I did see a ton of growth and progress. I read in your post, you also had that feeling...let's hang on to that (I say that just as much for you as me!).

I do feel happy (I think...LOL) for the year, but honestly, I am really, really tired. The past two years of exorbitant effort have really been a toll on me. So I do understand that feeling of exhaustion looking at the new year, and the worry, and wondering if I can do this....it is really, really hard work.

You have my empathy and deep understanding...:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I just had to add some :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:, too. I needed to know that I wasn't the only one struggling as I get ready to start up again. (And we also did some schooling over the summer.)

I too, get those feelings of anxiousness and frustration every year as we prepare for school, and every year just gets harder. I am so tempted so often to just give up on this homeschooling thing, but I know in the end it is the best for not just my SN child but my NT kids as well.

One thing that has helped me with part of those feelings the past few months (although certainly not a cure-all!) is a comment from another homeschooling mom: we don't owe our children every experience or every neat curriculum out there. In fact, it is impossible to do so even under the best circumstances. It's helped me let go of my dreams of what I could (maybe) offer my kids - especially my NT kids - under "better" circumstances. In the end, what really, really matters is the character of my kids and that they have a life-long love of learning, and have the skills to find out for themselves the questions that will come up throughout their lives.

It sounds like you are showing/teaching these very well. Such sacrifice on your part, given in such love, cannot help but positively effect all your children in ways that all those lovely, unused curricula can't even come close to doing.

:grouphug: for your first day back! (and mine!)

:grouphug::grouphug: I know exactly how you feel. But I feel I am the one who needs the break the most (as compared to my kids). My last two at home are both struggling with everything and it is exhausting at times and I am not getting any younger. I am getting ready to start up again and hope this year will be better. I also have to do standardized testing as we just did not get it in last spring (and that is always so hard to deal with). But I have to say coming here to this forum and knowing I am not alone makes a huge difference as I don't know any home schoolers IRL who understand what it is like. I think I would be lost without all of you other moms on this same path!:001_smile:Thanks for all of the sharing that goes on here!!:grouphug:

:grouphug:

I'm totally with you. My 9-year old just realized he is behind since his 7-year old sister has now caught up to him and they are using the same materials. I know I should separate them but I just can not find the time in my day for another curriculum. He is so incredibly talented at other things not regarding academics that he is pretty self-secure.

Thanks so much to all of you!!! I knew when I posted that I couldn't be alone in feeling this way. :grouphug:

I SURVIVED!!!! Today went okay. There were ups and downs, of course, but overall it went okay. There wasn't too much of this::willy_nilly: We didn't start with every subject. I postponed math and the dreaded weekly spelling lists until next week.

This morning I realized part of the reason why my kids look forward to the start of homeschool. They get "presents". :thumbup: I bought some school themed gift bags on this summer at the dollar store, and I filled them with the new pens, pencils, and assorted fun school items. The bags were on the kitchen counter when the children woke up, almost like stockings on Christmas morning. The children wore their new "school clothes". (They looked adorable!) When they went to our "classroom", they finally got to use the books and materials that they had seen me stockpiling.

Some of our new school books have stickers, and many of the materials and approaches to learning are generally playful. My other kids have my ds with the reading difficulties to thank for that--otherwise I'd probably be drilling them with those old Latin flashcards I found that we never really used.:tongue_smilie: Instead of just textbooks and flashcards, I had to I look for special "hand on" activities and creative ways of learning because of ds struggles. Except for the struggles, these things make our homeschooling more fun. I'm learning right along with the children, except I never planned on learning all about remediating dyslexia.

Books about dyslexia and special education should come with stickers for us homeschool moms that say, "Great Job!" "Woo-hoo, you taught the letter A!" and other affirming comments. We need those words of encouragement too!! Thank you all for sharing your words of encouragment with me!!!

-----

Note to self: Next year for the day after Labor Day, get new "back to school" clothes for myself too. Something fabulous that I'll look forward to wearing. :D Maybe a really nice pen too. And a years supply of chocolate. ;)

Edited by merry gardens

• 10 months later...

While seaching for another thread, I found this thread that I started at the beginning of the last school year. I wasn't going to take a break this summer, but ds is off at camp right now and we have several other things going on this month so I took a break. I was enjoying the break...until I found this old thread!:willy_nilly:

Okay, deep breath. There are other things to learn in life besides reading and writing.

I just wanted to say that I love the idea of buying myself something nice to wear and a new pen to start the new year! We always focus on the kids but a nice new mug with kona coffee would be a great way to start the new year. :DAfter all, the ps teachers that I know always buy at least one new outfit to start the new school year. Why are we different? :001_smile:

After all, the ps teachers that I know always buy at least one new outfit to start the new school year. Why are we different? :001_smile:

Hmm, what does that mean if the math teacher I had in high school literally had enough clothes to wear a different outfit every day of the year? :lol:

On a serious note, I've never understood the whole plan the whole summer thing till I hit this summer. Mercy. I've spent hours and hours pouring over this and that to get stuff sorted out, and I'm STILL not done! I'm gonna need a vacation from this here vacation! :D

I just wanted to say that I love the idea of buying myself something nice to wear and a new pen to start the new year! We always focus on the kids but a nice new mug with kona coffee would be a great way to start the new year. :DAfter all, the ps teachers that I know always buy at least one new outfit to start the new school year. Why are we different? :001_smile:

I'm glad you caught that part and mentioned it. I had only re-read the first post with the :willy_nilly: when I dug this thread up again. I'll have to keep my eye open for a back-to-school outfit and perhaps a fancy pen for myself

When I saw this thread pop back up, I couldn't read and not pop in and give you a hug. :grouphug: We all need breaks. You go back and enjoy yours!
Thanks. :)

Summer is going really well. My boys got back from camp looking tanner and taller. They're learning tons of stuff, just not all the academic stuff I typically fret over. I was encouraged when I changed their bedsheets while ds was away. Stuffed by his bed were several books that he picked up on his own. He's reading! He's reading for pleasure and he comprehends what he reads. He got "The Diary of a Wimpy Kid" for his birthday and read it in two days! He's going to be okay.

He and I both need breaks from the academic struggles so he can just enjoy being a kid and so I can just enjoy being my kids' mom. I won't feel (too) guilty about taking a break. We have yet more activities scheduled for the next couple of weeks. It's hard to do all of this during the school year, and they learn through these activities too.

Does a new stapler and 13 gal trashcan for the homeschool/office count? Why am I strangely giddy over those?