Menu

HS-ing in England or Japan... ????

USAF DH is working on his dream sheet for his next assignment. Several of the possibilities are outside of the US:

Japan - My second choice

England - My first choice

Italy - sigh... lovely, but I'd never get any schooling done, I think... :D

Turkey - a little nervous about this one

Stateside assignments he is considering applying for are in the following states:

NJ

CO

CA

SC

Not looking for any major analysis! Just wondering if there are one or two things that could share if you have lived in any of these places, pertaining to the ease or difficulty of homeschooling.

Edited by BikeBookBread

I live in England, its pretty easy, you can go completely under the radar easily. There are areas with big home educating communities and areas with barely any.

Are there any specific questions you have?

Nothing really specific at this point. It is still such a long way off. We won't even know his assignment until early Winter.

The AF ruling is that homeschoolers fall under the the rules of and report to the state you are in. When you are overseas, you aren't in a state, so you don't have anyone to report to. And you have full use of the DOD schools.

Are you AF and have you HSed overseas? When you say "full use of the DOD schools" does this mean you can use them for specific classes, such as music or art?

If your children have never been in school in Britain, then you don't need to explicitly declare that you are home educating. If the local authority hears that you are home educating (this is the favoured term in Britain, by the way) then they can ask for some kind of documentation from you (plans, reports, etc.) but most people find it very easy to fulfil the requirements.

I home educated in Scotland for two years. I didn't tell the authorities that I existed and no one ever turned up on my doorstep. My local member of parliament knew, but didn't pass the information on to the education authorities - he had no legal duty to do so and didn't feel it was his business. This is the website for a home ed. charity that covers England.

Laura

Don't be nervous about Turkey. I've lived there, though not near the base, and loved it. Foreigners can homeschool with no difficulties. Only citizens have to send their kids to school, so no problems.

The people truly are lovely, accommodating, and friendly. I think you'll like it.

And besides, you can see lots of historical sites there - Troy and Ephesus, for example.

Are you AF and have you HSed overseas? When you say "full use of the DOD schools" does this mean you can use them for specific classes, such as music or art?

Yes we are AF.

Yes we homeschooled in Okinawa, Japan.

You can use the DOD schools. We used them for the library, checking out books and videos, and he took electives or 'specials' as they were called. It was art, music, pe, culture and something else, I don't remember now. But yes, you are entitled to sign up for just one class. I don't know how often it happens in the higher grades, but the lower grades it wasn't uncommon. But because of that, you may have to be somewhat assertive in what you want and what you are entitled to use.

The sports, at least for the middle/elementary grades are through the rec department, not the schools so HS doesn't matter. But I think at the high school level, they are through the school, but you can still do them.