Menu

Algebra I for 8th grade? Seriously, where have I been?

It has been brought to my attention that many middleschoolers are taking Algebra I. Is this seriously the norm? I have read materials that sway one from letting their children take Algebra until high school. Dh and I have talked about this and we tend to agree...

I have a friend that is a math teacher and her children used Saxon. She said that they did not do well on the ACT and that they took Algebra I in 8th grade....

What are your thoughts on this? I know some children are math oriented and NEED to be challenged. I am referring to our 'regular' children. ;)

By the way my dc will be starting TT 7 this coming week. They could have taken pre-algebra, but barely (I gave them the placement test) and I want them to be capable of doing their math without frustration.

What says the hive?

It's pretty typical in the public schools here. Advanced kids take it in 7th, but that is more unusual. The "slower" kids take it in 9th. (Not calling anyone slow, no one get their knickers in a knot, pls.)

I think it depends on the kid, the curriculum, how prepared they are, and what the goal is.

One of mine took it in 8th but had to retake it (other issues). Another took it in 9th and managed to get thru math up thru precalc/trig, but still doesn't really understand it.

My dd will probably take it at home in 8th.

I took Algebra 1 in 7th grade back in the dark ages with the 8th grade class. My mom had to be pushy (which she always is) for me to take it, but I was ready for it. I wasn't a super-duper stellar math student, but I did well enough and took a college calculus course when I was a junior in high school, although I think I only got a B in it.

So what's my point? Um...I think 8th graders, at least, taking Algebra 1 has been an option for a long time, because that's what the advanced students took at my middle school way back when.

Years ago, my husband was one of those math-oriented kids. He took Algebra I in 8th grade, Geometry in summer school (between 8th & 9th), Algebra II in 9th, Trigonometry in 10th, and Calculus in 11th. By his senior year, he had maxed out all the school's math courses, and could have taken more at the college (he didn't have transportation). It's funny, though, he never really mastered basic check-book balancing, until he met me. :toetap05:

OTOH, I was the Math Dunce of the World, of course, so I had Whatever Math in 7th (total waste of time, useless teacher), then more Whatever Math in 8th, Algebra I in 9th, Geometry in 10th (total waste of time, useless teacher), and Algebra II in 11th. I was failing Algebra II, so I audited it that year. I took it again in 12th and earned all A's and B's -- self-taught Algebra II, right? :tongue_smilie::glare:

All that to say, I don't believe there is any point to a one-size-fits-all mentality with math. It's so cumulative, if you miss an important concept (e.g., fractions, order of operations, negative numbers, exponents), you're toast down the road. When I took the Saxon placement test, I actually did worse on the 7th grade section than I did on the Algebra component. Seriously, I learned no math during all of 7th grade. We parents can fill in our gaps, though, through self-study (and practice at Khan Academy).

Put your blinders on, and pay no attention to what others are doing with math in Grade _____. What matters more is that your student masters the material -- faster or slower than others is irrelevant. HTH.

I think it completely depends on the child. Many kids just aren't ready for Algebra until their brains begin to emerge from the hormone soup of puberty. I know my oldest dd wasn't, and we've had to take 2 years to do Algebra I. She's doing MUCH better after a year of maturity.

I'm going to take a bit slower track with my twins than they probably COULD do (they could be ready at age 12), just because I want their brains to be ready for Algebra, even IF they can do the arithmetic behind it just fine.

It's pretty typical in the public schools here. Advanced kids take it in 7th, but that is more unusual.

Same here. A fair number of high-performing kids take algebra in 7th, and in fact a local high school now (as of this year) offers multivariable calculus, since these kids take AP calculus by 11th grade and don't necessarily want to take statistics in 12th grade. Anyway, there are still *plenty* of kids who take algebra in 9th grade; taking it earlier is just offered to kids who want that and are ready - it's certainly not the norm.

Years ago, my husband was one of those math-oriented kids. He took Algebra I in 8th grade, Geometry in summer school (between 8th & 9th), Algebra II in 9th, Trigonometry in 10th, and Calculus in 11th. By his senior year, he had maxed out all the school's math courses, and could have taken more at the college (he didn't have transportation). It's funny, though, he never really mastered basic check-book balancing, until he met me. :toetap05:

OTOH, I was the Math Dunce of the World, of course, so I had Whatever Math in 7th (total waste of time, useless teacher), then more Whatever Math in 8th, Algebra I in 9th, Geometry in 10th (total waste of time, useless teacher), and Algebra II in 11th. I was failing Algebra II, so I audited it that year. I took it again in 12th and earned all A's and B's -- self-taught Algebra II, right? :tongue_smilie::glare:

All that to say, I don't believe there is any point to a one-size-fits-all mentality with math. It's so cumulative, if you miss an important concept (e.g., fractions, order of operations, negative numbers, exponents), you're toast down the road. When I took the Saxon placement test, I actually did worse on the 7th grade section than I did on the Algebra component. Seriously, I learned no math during all of 7th grade. We parents can fill in our gaps, though, through self-study (and practice at Khan Academy).

Put your blinders on, and pay no attention to what others are doing with math in Grade _____. What matters more is that your student masters the material -- faster or slower than others is irrelevant. HTH.

Thank you for that. My dc are where they need to be. On the tract my dc are on they will still be able to take an honors course (is that what it's called?) for math after Algebra I & II, Geometry...and you are right. One size doesn't fit all.

In NY the advanced students take the Algebra 1 Regent exam in 8th grade. The rest take it in 9th. There are some who don't take it at a Regent level.

I am planning to start Algebra in 9th grade. I would characterize my son as strong average in math. He gets his work done without complaint and he gets it right but he's not a math wiz.

Depending on how this and next year go I might be convinced to try him in Algebra in 8th...but I won't sweat it until 9th.

another 40% take it in 8th.

It has been brought to my attention that many middleschoolers are taking Algebra I. Is this seriously the norm? I have read materials that sway one from letting their children take Algebra until high school. Dh and I have talked about this and we tend to agree...

I have a friend that is a math teacher and her children used Saxon. She said that they did not do well on the ACT and that they took Algebra I in 8th grade....

What are your thoughts on this? I know some children are math oriented and NEED to be challenged. I am referring to our 'regular' children. ;)

By the way my dc will be starting TT 7 this coming week. They could have taken pre-algebra, but barely (I gave them the placement test) and I want them to be capable of doing their math without frustration.

What says the hive?

ETA: Since pushing algebra down to lower grades, the average SAT/ACT in the district has NOT significantly changed.

Where we live, most kids take it in 8th grade, some in 7th. But then again, like Lake Woebegone, "all the children are above average;)." I had it in 8th grade back when dinosaurs wandered the earth and did quite well at it. I haven't seen any compelling evidence to delay it if a child is ready for it. My boys started it in 7th grade. Dd will start in 8th grade and she is less "mathy" than they are.

What says the hive?

Back in my day, I took algebra in 8th but that was less typical at the time.

As for your friend, I don't think that anecdote tells anything useful.

In your planning ahead, you might also take into consideration that the labeled levels of TT, such as algebra 1, might not correspond to the similarly labeled levels of other programs (see, for example, this post from this morning).

In ps here academically math minded students take Alg 1 in 7th grade. Average math minded students take Alg 1 in 8th grade. Not so math minded kids take Alg 1 in 9th grade.

It's not at all a reflection on them as a person - just where who they are in respect to math. Personally, I have two that took it in 7th grade and did really well on the ACT - esp the math portion - so I don't think that's relevant to which year one takes Alg 1. My youngest took Alg 1 in 8th as he wasn't ready in 7th for it. He did fine in 8th grade with it.

The short answer is students should take Algebra I when they are ready. They should be solid with basic math and be able to do abstract thinking.

My older 2 took it in 6th and 7th. Dh and I took it in 8th. My youngest may never take it.

The reason for taking algebra 1 in 8th grade is to be in position to take calculus by 12th grade, which makes you better prepared to attempt degrees in Engineering, Chemistry, Physics and other technology areas which heavily rely on math.

However, if you are not ready to take algebra don't. What the public schools are doing to most kids doesn't make sense. These kids don't have the solid foundation in basic math, mostly due to early reliance on calculators (I've ranted about this before). So, they begin to memorize patterns with no sense of what the patterns are and hope that gets them through a test. For most kids it does. In VA the standards of learning exam for Algebra 1 is multiple choice and I think a student only needs to get about 50% correct to achieve a passing score. So, kids who haven't learned basic math aren't learning higher math either despite what the state says about the SOL scores. I teach part time at a private school that takes students who have been expelled from public school. Most have no LDs and most have just been pushed along in math and have no idea what they are doing.

If the schools would actually teach the basic math in elementary school, I think the pacing of Algebra 1 in 8th for most kids would be fine. But they aren't. Honestly, I think a lot of elementary teachers don't understand math and aren't teaching it very well in addition to the calculator issue.

Despite the pace my dc took, if you don't think your dc are ready then don't plow ahead. They will be in a worse position for all the inevitable gaps they will develop. This will affect their confidence in themselves as students in all subjects. It is better to develop a solid foundation and have confidence in math skills. If you dc decide to major in engineering, they can still do it. For students it's a little harder to finish an engineering degree in 4 years if you don't have the head start in calculus, but it can be done. But if you have gaps in your mathematics understanding before college, studying in a science/math/tech field will be incredibly difficult.

ETA: taking Algebra I before high school did not seem to affect our SAT performance Dh, ds, and I all achieved high scores on the math section.

Edited by betty

A student should take algebra when he is READY for it. Which means, proficient at arithmetic with positive and negative integers and fractions. He needs to have thoroughly mastered prealgebra.

Some students are at this point in 8th grade. Many in 9th. And a few in 6th.

:iagree: I took Algebra I in 8th grade and went on to take Calculus as a senior. I always assumed my children would as well and was stressing that they were not ready for it. DH reminded me that he did not take Algebra in 8th (and did not take Calculus until college) and we both have the same college degree - a B.S. in math. And honestly, he's better at math that I am. (shhh... don't tell him I said that)

I took Algebra 1 in 8th grade, I had friends who did not take it until 9th. We all got into good colleges and graduated. Of my closest friends....the 2 who did not complete calc in high school are the doctors ;)

My son is currently moving through SM 2a at a good pace. Not fast....normal, according to the schedule in the HIG. He will be through the primary math series in 5th grade. Even if he is "ready" I don't think I will put him in Algebra in 6th grade. We will do some pre-algebra or try a different program for so.e fun life application math.

During the late Crestaceous period, Dh and I had it in 7th grade. He did well, I did not. We both went on to geometry for 8th grade. My school was completely uninterested in the fact that I did not feel ready to take geometry and bumped me anyway. So, algebra II - one semester for 9th grade and then trigonometry for a semester. I graduated from a school that did not offer calc 1 and so 10th grade was filled with business math and 11th - statistics which is not really higher mathematics - the interpretation of numbers/data, etc. Though I graduated 18 months early, that gap between algebra II before taking the SAT in the spring before I left for college, did not serve me well.

I am a fan of not rushing. Mastery of concepts is just soooo important. But, I don't like to hold back once they are ready.

DD the homeschool graduate - algebra 1 in 9th, finished early started algebra 2 and finished in the summer. Geometry 10th - Trigonometry/Pre-calc for 11th - and since we felt she wasn't entirely confident in her pre-calc skills though her grades were pretty good, we made her do another semester of pre-calc and then one semester of calc 1 - so she didn't get full credit for calc 1. This progression really worked for her.

DS 14 - We did algebra 1 last year in 8th and I saw some things that needed shoring up. So, we are doing the second half of algebra 1 again now in 9th. He'll begin geometry in January.

Ds 12 almost 13 - 8th grade - just finishing a pre-algebra review and will begin algebra 1...he is a good mathematician and likes it a lot so I don't anticipate any issues. He plans on making it through calc1 in high school because he wants to major in biology and will need calc 1 as a college freshman. We think having it at home first will hopefully make his first college math class a bit easier.

Ds 11 - 6th grade wants algebra 1 now. He is still a little fuzzy working with negative integers and remembering his order of operations. So, I'm holding off. He'll definitely have it next year if his math brain continues maturing at its current speed.

Every child is different. No matter what, mastery is the thing that counts.

Faith

I haven't read the other replies. I think it depends on the student. I took Algebra in 8th grade (35+ years ago:001_smile:). The school placed the students who did well in 7th grade math in Algebra. I could have taken Calculus my senior year, but didn't. My dh also took Algebra in 8th grade, but he didn't wimp out of Calculus (he told me to say that). We had both our dds take Algebra in 8th grade, but they are math inclined, which doesn't mean they like it. They did/will stop after Pre-Calculus. If our dds hadn't been ready for Algebra when they were, we would have continued on with math and introduced Algebra when they were ready. One of the benefits of home schooling is tailoring the curriculum to your child's abilities.

Mary

8th grade is becoming the norm. Policy makers have found that students are more likely to major in Math and Science in university if they take Algebra in 8th grade, so the policy makers are making 8th grade Algebra "normal." Of course, no one seems to realize that correlation is not causation, and students who are good at math take it early and are more likely to major in math and science. Sigh.

I have taught High School Math, and I can tell you that if a student is not ready, it will be like beating your head against the wall. The only way that 8th grade Algebra can become "normal" is to dumb it down from what had been taught in 9th grade. There is algebra and then there is ALGEBRA.

Ruth in NZ

It seems to me, from what I've seen, that the majority of kids take Algebra I in 8th OR 9th grade. A few do it sooner and a few more do it later (and then there are those who never get it).

8th grade seems as normal as 9th grade right now.

When my brother went to school (I didn't do middle school), there were two 8th grade Algebra classes so it wasn't rare then, just more kids waited til 9th grade.

I kinda like the idea of an Algebra class (more than PreAlgebra but maybe not the Algebra we all took) in 8th grade for most students. Those really ready for Algebra can take the real one. But what I have noticed is that many kids would do really well to have one year of pushing through and then another of a solid Algebra education. In fact, though I was a STRONG math student, I really ended up appreciating having to take Algebra again when I reentered public school.

My kids do multiple math programs throughout. My kids may not have appreciated it, but it didn't seem to slow them down considerably (my daughter still had Calc II under her belt when she graduated at 16).

8th grade is becoming the norm. Policy makers have found that students are more likely to major in Math and Science in university if they take Algebra in 8th grade, so the policy makers are making 8th grade Algebra "normal."

What's so funny (or pathetic, depending on how you look at it) about this is that kids who are good at and like math are more likely to take algebra in 8th grade. Kids who are good at and like math are more likely to major in math and science. Algebra in 8th grade doesn't cause the majoring in math and science, being good at and liking math causes it.

Not calling anyone slow, no one get their knickers in a knot, pls.

ROFL :lol::lol: Had to point that out, cracked me up.

I, however, have never taken Algebra at all. I like doing math. I dont' like learning math. If that even makes sense. Dd13 and I will be doing Pre-Alg on up to Calc together. I was not one of the "chosen" in school so I was in remedial classes (although I aced those classes, I could have done more with the right teacher). I was given just the right amount of classes to graduate from high school.

I have learned more homeschooling my kids already that I remember learning in school.

The majority of students in our county take Algebra in 7th or 8th grade. Advanced track kids typically take it in 7th and average kids take it in 8th. Students who are gifted in math are permitted to take Algebra as early as they are ready. When I was touring schools before deciding to homeschool our oldest for kindergarten, one of the principals (at a public elementary) bragged that he had a 5th grader who was being bussed to the local middle school for Algebra.

8th grade is becoming the norm. Policy makers have found that students are more likely to major in Math and Science in university if they take Algebra in 8th grade, so the policy makers are making 8th grade Algebra "normal." Of course, no one seems to realize that correlation is not causation, and students who are good at math take it early and are more likely to major in math and science. Sigh.

I have taught High School Math, and I can tell you that if a student is not ready, it will be like beating your head against the wall. The only way that 8th grade Algebra can become "normal" is to dumb it down from what had been taught in 9th grade. There is algebra and then there is ALGEBRA.

Ruth in NZ

:iagree:

It used to be that students here could be held out of 8th grade Algebra if the teacher felt they weren't ready or if the parent requested it, but there has been a huge movement to force all students to take Algebra by 8th grade. The new policy is that if you pass the Algebra pre-test, then you must enroll in 8th grade Algebra regardless of prior math performance or teacher/parent preference.

We do live in an area with a large number of parents with advanced degrees in math and math-related fields, so I don't doubt that some of our students are actually ready for Algebra in 6th or 7th. However, we have a multitude of new math courses in our local high school with names like Algebra Plus, Algebra Bridge, etc. They have so many kids failing Algebra in 8th or barely passing it that they have to do a second year of Algebra I in 9th grade before they're capable of moving on.

I might be in denial, but I know my son will be working through algebra 1 before then and I don't feel like his math abilities are out of this world. On the flip side I think at 37 I finally have a grasp on some math concepts that have illuded me for years. So I guess it truly varies! ;)

:iagree:

Both of my boys took/will take algebra in 7th grade.

Me? I took pre-algebra in 10th. :D

ETA: The boys are off to the public school when they're ready for algebra. They have to test into the class the spring prior to their 7th grade year. Just in case anyone is worried about me trying to teach them. ;)

I was an average math student in school and I took algebra I in 8th at my small private school. The public school in our district offered algebra to both 8th and 9th graders. I had a couple of friends who took advanced college calc before they graduated public high school thanks to dual enrollment or honors classes.

Well, I don't think it's anything new. I graduated high school in 82 and I had Alg I in 8th grade. My oldest had Alg I in 7th in PS --but because he didn't score a 98% he had to take it again in 8th. It was a waste. He still ended up having Calc his Sr. year and tested out of all college math at the Univ. He thinks mathmatically and always has - he frustrated his high school teachers bec he could perform complex equations in his head. He took an adv calc or something in college for fun and his prof would have loved for him to be a math major --he was amazed at what he could "see" in his head.

DD took Alg I in 7th bec she had taken 2 pre-alg programs already. She did well, but hated it. She enjoyed Geometry in 8th and we took a year off for 9th and did Consumer Math which she thought was fun. We're back to Alg II for 10th. I do notice that she doesn't recall as much of Alg as ds did at her age - so we will do lots of review prior to SATs this year.

My next ds will probably do Alg I in 8th - we may wait until 9th. He gets frustrated if he makes a mistake so he redoes problems until they are correct.

I think you have to let them do it when they are ready.

This is not exactly responsive to the original question, but I am always amazed by those of you who can so clearly recall what you studied in high school, let alone middle school. I am 39 and remember taking calculus in 12th grade, but before that? It's all a blur. I have not the faintest clue when I took algebra.

What our "exemplary" district is doing this year is having *every* student take Alg I as a freshman, even if they took it in 8th grade and made an A.

ALL 8th graders are taking 8th grade math, even if they are ready for algebra. NO 8th graders can take algebra.

For the state tests, ya know.:glare:

Must. Teach. To. The. Almighty. Tests.

ETA: I taught algebra to 8th graders in ps, and my dc start algebra in 7th.

In the early 80s, I took Algebra in 9th grade and I was considered average, but with a slight negative connotation. I have no idea what number of students took it in 8th grade but it was common knowledge that the smart kids were placed in it while the rest of us were in pre-Algebra. Oh, my high school was 8th through 12th grades. I was very happy that we only had to have 3 years of math to graduate. I took pre-Alg., Geometry, and Algebra 1. I didn't have any math in 11th or 12th grades.

But unlike today, P.E. was mandatory every year in high school, but that's another topic.

This is not exactly responsive to the original question, but I am always amazed by those of you who can so clearly recall what you studied in high school, let alone middle school. I am 39 and remember taking calculus in 12th grade, but before that? It's all a blur. I have not the faintest clue when I took algebra.

I know! (sans calc)

My mathy kid:

6th Saxon 76

7th-TTalg1

8th-TTalg2

9th-TTgeo

10th-pre-calc pre-AP at public school--had a strong foundation from TT and did great

11th college calc 1, 2

12th ....

dd12 is in private school but she was doing TT6 in 5th grade. Her school does not accelerate math, but I will start her in Algebra at home in 8th grade, in addition to her public school's math program. She may not finish it before the year end. I will help her with what she needs to know, adding material as she needs it.

Her school ends at 8th grade. She plans to do the Running Start program where high school students take classes at the community college. If she starts Alg1 in 9th grade, she won't test high enough on the placement tests to get in to the math part of the program.

Ours at home usually take agebra I later rather than sooner, though at the public school they usually take it in 8th or 9th. But many of the "ordinary" students who take it early at our local schools either don't really understand it in their bones or they learn to be afraid of math because it moves too fast as they progress into the higher math (among the group of parents I hang out with, anyway). No algebra I here until they have all the building blocks, including being able to use those building blocks to solve word problems. Usually by the time they're able to do simple algebraic word problems, they are ready to start algebra I -- with more word problems included, of course! :tongue_smilie:

Sandy

What our "exemplary" district is doing this year is having *every* student take Alg I as a freshman, even if they took it in 8th grade and made an A.

ALL 8th graders are taking 8th grade math, even if they are ready for algebra. NO 8th graders can take algebra.

For the state tests, ya know.:glare:

Must. Teach. To. The. Almighty. Tests.

Makes you want to do this, doesn't it? :banghead:

It took me a couple months recently to recall what my high school math sequence was. I kept getting confused because I never took "precalc". In my school, the advanced track was:

6th graders took some type of advanced 6th grade class (ie, we were tested at that point and split up)

7th graders took advanced 7th grade

8th graders took what was probably prealgebra

9th graders Algebra I

10th graders Geometry

11th graders Algebra II/Trig

12th graders AP Calculus (mostly AB, but teacher gave extra material to those of us wanting to do the BC exam)

Now if you were the REALLY advanced track, you got to go to the high school for Algebra I class in 8th grade. Then in 12th grade, they went to the local university for calc3/diff.eq. There were only 2 kids that did that in my grade. My brother and sister had done it years earlier, and my mom didn't know (or ask) if they still had the program. :glare: But oh well. I was still the only freshman in my calc3/diff.eq. classes in college. :D

The "regular track" seemed to also take Algebra I in 9th, but they'd do Algebra II in 11th and Precalc in 12th. I don't fully understand what the difference was in our middle school maths, since they merged everyone back together for Algebra (unless a kid needed prealgebra in 9th, which was offered).

The school was a public school in an area that had a high concentration of engineers, so the math courses were pretty strong.

As for my family, I will do Algebra when my kids are ready for it, regardless of age.

What says the hive?

Is this new? I took Algebra1 in 8th grade and my test scores were well within nice scholarship level. I am not a math person either. However, my current 8th grader is in Saxon 8/7 and my 9th grader is finishing 2nd semester Algebra 1 right now and will start Algebra II in January. He also uses Saxon. He started off great but he got muddled in the middle somewhere so I got the DIVE CD and pushed him back quite a few lessons. He's doing much better now. I don't know if it's DIVE or 2nd time through the material.

It has been brought to my attention that many middleschoolers are taking Algebra I. Is this seriously the norm?

I believe it may have come about because of this report:

The Final Report of the National Mathematics Advisory Panel

On pg. 23 of this report, it states:

"All school districts should ensure that all prepared students have access to an authentic algebra course - and should prepare more students than at present to enroll in such a course by grade 8."

In prior pages, the report defined "Major Topics of School Algebra" ("authentic algebra") and what preparation is needed for algebra in a sections titled "Critical Foundations of Algebra" & "Benchmarks for the Critical Foundation."

The report is quite an interesting read - I found it a couple of years ago as I was trying to determine what the phrase "algebra readiness" meant.