Menu

DS13: "Do you think I might be autistic?"

First of all, thanks for the recommendations here for "Temple Grandin"! I put it in our Amazon cart when we first heard about it, but we have been waiting for the price to come down from a nosebleed level before purchasing. We got it this week and watched it as a family last night. What an awesome woman and an awesome movie!

Immediately after the movie ended DS13 asked, in front of his siblings, "Do you think I might be autistic?" Our reply: "Yes, we think you have a very mild form of autism."

Although we have long thought that DS13 was on the far end of the autism spectrum, we have never discussed it with him. Rightly or wrongly, we decided that we did not want to give him any excuse for inappropriate behavior. After that first question, we had a very good discussion about the topic with all of the children. Interestingly, all but one of the other children started chiming in with "Don't you think I might also be autistic?" :001_smile: "No, we don't think so." At the end of the discussion I asked DS13 how he felt about this new revelation. "I feel great!" "I'm special, but not less!" He was literally beaming!

What a great way to introduce autism to our children! None of them have a negative image of it and hopefully they will be sensitive to people with ASD that they meet in the future.

Edited by RegGuheert
Added link.

It's a great movie!

Our son was diagnosed with PDD-NOS through our local school system. The psychologist handed me a copy of Grandin's Thinking in Pictures to borrow as we went over the diagnosis. Once I flipped through the book, I remembered hearing Grandin speak on NPR.

My son simply saw the title of the book and said, "Hey! *I* think in pictures!" It opened up a whole dialogue about the autistic spectrum.

How wonderful to have this as an inspirational vehicle to open a discussion with your child Reg.
It truly was a wonderful thing! I cannot imagine any other way of starting this dialog in a more positive manner.

While my son is certainly not as autistic as Temple Grandin, he could relate to some of what he saw in the movie. For one thing, he does not like being touched or rubbed on the back (although he does enjoy hugs). He also has a very difficult time reading social cues that others easily get, including DS7. Additionally, he has an incredible memory. He is one of the very best spellers in the United States today. During our discussion, he shared some description of how his memory works and how imagery plays into that process. (However his memory is not as photographic as Temple's nor does it appear to be as photographic as a girl he competes with from a nearby private school in regional spelling bees.) We also shared with him that he did a LOT of screaming during the first three years of his life.

The point here is that he could clearly see that the little bit of autism that he has is a gift in much the same way that Temple Grandin recognizes her autism as a gift. My prayer is that he will continue to embrace it and will stay positive as he manages through some of the more difficult aspects throughout the rest of his life. I think some of Temple Grandin's writings will need to go on his school curriculum going forward.

That video changed me. It was AWESOME!!! For years I've been so worried about my son and also confused..with all the different things the "professionals" would say. That movie gave me a glimpse into his mind and the way he thinks. It summed up what his awesome psychologist has been trying to explain to me.

I've been reading her book "The Way I See It" and it's been fantastic.

I'm glad to see it mentioned here!

Although we have long thought that DS13 was on the far end of the autism spectrum, we have never discussed it with him. Rightly or wrongly, we decided that we did not want to give him any excuse for inappropriate behavior.

IMHO, if you were not desperately seeking answers and help as parents, it's very unlikely your ds would be diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder. He may have some sensory issues that could be improved with OT and the earlier you seek treatment, the more likely it is to be successful.

IMHO, if you were not desperately seeking answers and help as parents, it's very unlikely your ds would be diagnosed with an autism spectrum disorder. He may have some sensory issues that could be improved with OT and the earlier you seek treatment, the more likely it is to be successful.
You may very well be correct on this point. We certainly are considering having his hearing checked to see if he perceives sound properly. We all suspect he does not.

I watched the movie with my husband and daughter a couple of months ago. I was expecting to like it, I thought it was interesting and well-done, and I was amazed at Temple's accomplishments.

However, the movie left me wrung out. My head was spinning, and I couldn't talk above a whisper for a couple of hours after watching it. I don't know if it was the intensity of the movie, or the volume, or what. Both my family members responded the same way.

Did anyone else have this experience? Is it because Temple speaks so loudly in the movie? Is it because we're seeing things from Temple's perspective, and it's more intense? Please tell me we're not so laid-back and quiet at our house that we shy away from brilliance when we see it.

However, the movie left me wrung out. My head was spinning, and I couldn't talk above a whisper for a couple of hours after watching it. I don't know if it was the intensity of the movie, or the volume, or what. Both my family members responded the same way.
I loaned the movie to my sister last night and her reaction was very much the same as yours, so you are not alone in this. She was wondering if they made it that way in order to help you experience in some small way the world of a person with an autism disorder. Perhaps.

Our family, OTOH, is so loud on a normal basis that the style appealed to us. :tongue_smilie: