Menu

Where are kids at in math by the end of 1st grade?

Today was the open house for ds (which, being new to ps, was probably more exciting for me!) and I was able to flip through the math workbook. The last few pages of the math workbook had problems such as "6-3=" and 9-2=". Problems within 10 basically. I thought that it should at least be problems within 20. The beginning half had a lot of ordinal numbers, greater than and less than, estimation, etc. Which I think is normal, but I thought the addition and subtraction part would come sooner than at the very end.

Just for some background, we decided to keep ds7 back and place him in 1st grade. Please no flames, this was a really difficult decision. He is really small, with a bone age of just 4 yrs old. He also struggles with writing and would not have been able to keep up with the amount of writing required in 2nd grade here. And while his reading has improved, he still needs help. He is pretty good at math though, not a whiz by any means, it doesn't come naturally to him but he worked really hard on all of his math facts over the summer, mostly mental math and has become stronger. We also didn't finish any of our curriculum at home yet for 1st grade. We moved a few months ago and kind of just went into summer break mode.:blush:

I'm sure everything they do in the class will be great review and since we'll be keeping up with math at home I can challenge him, but I am just really surprised at the scope of the book. We are in an excellent school system that is supposed to have an accelerated math program.

So is this the norm for end of 1st grade in public school?

I think there is NOTHING wrong with holding, especially boys, back one year. We did the very same thing. We currently homeschool, but when my son was at a college prep private school for first grade they most definitely did addition up to 20, including carrying. They did not get into borrowing yet however.

If you are concerned I would simply teach him more at home, can't hurt! :)

No judgement here. My 1st grader just turned 7. His classroom uses California Math and it seems very similar to the Horizons 1 workbook we have. They cover subtraction about 1/3 into the year. So, I would agree that the problems you posted do seem very easy for the end of the year.

Are you sure that is the book for the whole year? My kids' math books come in sections, so the one in their desks right now is only for a couple of months.

I agree that the book might just be the first textbook/ workbook for the first semester just like Singapore Math has 1A and 1B. Ask the teacher if your child will have another math book. Do you remember the name of the math book or series?

In FL here and they use a Singapore Math inspired new math curriculum . They teach + / - up to 100 , place value and challenging word problems similar to Singapore . Some dc are struggling though , probably because the teachers themselves are not used to this way of teaching math even though they have trainings every few months . I have read about that in a forum for teachers (proteachers.com) .

Thank you for your support on our decision to keep him back. We've been getting a lot of grief from friends and family about it.

I was told the text is Scott Foresman Millenium edition, I only saw the workbook so I guessing it's the same. I meant to jot it down when I looked at it because I know my memory is not so great, but then it's so bad I even forgot to write it down. (I also forgot my keys there, sometimes I get so mad at my brain!)

I hope it was just for part of the semester, but it was really thick. I will ask the teacher more about it later on when the busy start of the school year calms a bit.

Thanks for the replies. I thought that addition/subtraction within 100 would be the norm (this is what ds knows), but at least within 20.

We are in CA and I am expecting the school to teach addition and substraction up to a hundred. We used SM 1st grade last year at home and I know it's alligned with CA math standards and covers lot more than just addition to a 10.

enVision, the math program you will be using, gets into addition up to 100 and some very basic (no re-grouping) subtraction problems up to 100. It is very basic.

Bill

In FL here and they use a Singapore Math inspired new math curriculum . They teach + / - up to 100 , place value and challenging word problems similar to Singapore . Some dc are struggling though , probably because the teachers themselves are not used to this way of teaching math even though they have trainings every few months . I have read about that in a forum for teachers (proteachers.com) .

Do you remember the name of it blessedmom?

enVision, the math program you will be using, gets into addition up to 100 and some very basic (no re-grouping) subtraction problems up to 100. It is very basic.

Bill

wow, so SM is more advanced? I just assumed regular SM grade 1 workbooks would cover the same topics as enVision. Thanks Bill!