Menu

Is there a history program that allows you to spend a year on each subject?

dorothy

A year on:

Greeks

Romans

Middle Ages

Rennaissance & Reformation

etc.

so that you could go in depth, do a lot of reading, and have a solid knowledge of that topic, consider all that was going on at the time (art, war, medicine,literature, etc).

I am not looking for the FMM series.

Thanks.

What age group are you looking for? The Galore Park Junior History series moves slowly through the ancients and the So You Really Want to Learn History books move slowly through the middle ages. Alternatively, I like the Suzanne Strauss Art books - she has them for Rome, Greece, Alexander, China, Middle Ages, Renaissance, Islam - for middle school.

I've only skimmed the Galore Park books and so far have just used the SSA China books, so caveat emptor.

Best wishes

Laura

You could do the Famous Men series with the Greenleaf guide and additional reading suggestions as your jumping off point then add library books and historical fiction as you see fit. If I could start over, I would probably do this but we didn't even start moving through history chronologically until my oldest was in 5th grade. No time to do one section at a time.

I know what you mean about going more in depth. We are a little off-cycle from SOTW, which is no big deal to me, but in the fall, we will resume SOTW 2 with the Middle Ages. I plan to break from SOTW and delve much more deeply into this time period. I have just pulled various resources together, which I have bought throughout my homeschooling journey, with library books.

A year on:

Greeks

Romans

Middle Ages

Rennaissance & Reformation

etc.

so that you could go in depth, do a lot of reading, and have a solid knowledge of that topic, consider all that was going on at the time (art, war, medicine,literature, etc).

I am not looking for the FMM series.

Thanks.

Tapestry of Grace would cover all of that!

Well for elementary, say through 6th, VP is great for that. The 2nd time around, say 6th +, Guerber would work. Yes the TQ guides are divided that way, but they're really skimpy on commentary and would dump a lot of the work in your lap. With the VP cards, it's already done, already scheduled (one card per week for 32 weeks), so then you could just plug in your books and things.

I am thinking fot 6th grade through 12th grade.

My dd will do SOTW4 during 5th grade (Fall 2008). We will have completed one round of SOTW 1-4 plus 1 year of CHOW. I thought it would be interesting to take the next 6-7 years and go way in-depth like this:

6th - the ancients

7th - the greeks

8th - the romans

9th - the middle ages

10th - the renaissance

11th - early modern

12th - modern

We could read the literature, study the art, travel (hopefully) to one of the sites, read bios, etc. But, I feel like I need a spine, or program, that helps me to pull it together. I don't know that I would be able to figure out all that I should cover.

Also, do you see any disadvantages in doing it this way?

Thanks for all of the recommendations and suggestions.