Menu

Inexpensive passport photos?

We're going on a trip to Mexico in January and need to get passports for our whole family. The cost of passports alone is over $400 already and the post office says they'll take our passport photos for $15 each, which seems unreasonable. I'm wondering if we could just take a head shot of each family member ourselves and have them developed at Walgreens in the passport size? Is there anything special about the pictures, or do they just need to be a head shot of the correct size?

We're going on a trip to Mexico in January and need to get passports for our whole family. The cost of passports alone is over $400 already and the post office says they'll take our passport photos for $15 each, which seems unreasonable. I'm wondering if we could just take a head shot of each family member ourselves and have them developed at Walgreens in the passport size? Is there anything special about the pictures, or do they just need to be a head shot of the correct size?

You can do it at home, but there are requirements about the color of the background, and the head in the picture has to be a certain size, etc. I think you can download a PDF from the State Department (Uh, this is a US passport we are talking about?), with all the details. Otherwise, there are a lot of quickie photo places that should do it cheaper than $15, but maybe not by much. Try local camera store, maybe costco.

Not al passport size photos will work. The face needs to be a certain size within the photo, the background must be plain, the eyes must be open, etc. It can be tricky with some cameras to get a proper focus for the face to be the correct size. You should be able to check the picture requirements online.

DH did them at home. We stood in front of a white wall, and he printed them on glossy paper. I don't know if he did a test run on plain paper to make sure that it met the correct dimensions, but it didn't seem all that hard. He used a tripod to be sure that the camera was still.

I found a free program online that will adjust your photos to the right size. It never worked. I took two dozen photos of dd, moving furniture and lights to remove all shadows from the flash. I took the best (which wasn't that great) to the post office, and they said, mmm, didn't think it would pass, although we could try. After putting a few hours of effort into this unsuccessfully, I finally broke down and took her to CVS. You can find coupons online or in the Sunday ad inserts. It reduced the price by $2, so I think the total was $7. It was well worth it, even times four people.

I think you are making the right decision!

I found a free program online that will adjust your photos to the right size. It never worked. I took two dozen photos of dd, moving furniture and lights to remove all shadows from the flash. I took the best (which wasn't that great) to the post office, and they said, mmm, didn't think it would pass, although we could try. After putting a few hours of effort into this unsuccessfully, I finally broke down and took her to CVS. You can find coupons online or in the Sunday ad inserts. It reduced the price by $2, so I think the total was $7. It was well worth it, even times four people.

I think you are making the right decision!

I think you just cemented my decision. :001_huh:

post office says they'll take our passport photos for $15 each, which seems unreasonable. I'm wondering if we could just take a head shot of each family member ourselves and have them developed at Walgreens in the passport size? Is there anything special about the pictures, or do they just need to be a head shot of the correct size?

costco was cheaper than the PO. You can take them yourself, they do have to be a specific size of the head within the frame. the website for passports will have all the information on the exact sizing required.