Menu

If you are using WWS...

...are you doing additional writing? I am thinking about outlining in particular.

My DD12 is in 7th grade this year. We were working on two level outlines last year. I decided that my DD needed to go through WWS, so we are back to one level outlines for the rest of the year, which I am okay with, because the two level outlines were hard for her last year. We are just about to start our 7th week of WWS, and I am also adding in our content and elective subjects next week. Do I need to be doing additional outlining? We will still be working on taking notes and doing narrations in history, but I am thinking that it might be overkill to do more outlining, especially because WWS is taking quite a bit of time to do each week.

I am interested in what others are doing.

Thank you,

SWB had commented that if you're using WWE (and I would assume she would extend that to WWS), then your history/science notebooks will be much smaller. What you can do, on the week the WWS assignment is to outline history, have your DD do it w/ her history instead. If it's a week where the details are given, you find the details and have DD pick what's relevant to what she wants to address and rewrite. Otherwise, I know for my son, a 6th grader, it would be a lot. I would look at the WTM2009 guidelines. I meant to do that as well. In it, I believe she gives guidelines for how much outlining each week. If it's 2/week and you're doing 1 outline w/ WWS, you can do another in science or history. Those are just my thoughts...we'll be starting WWS next week. We did the Beta test last year.

SWB had commented that if you're using WWE (and I would assume she would extend that to WWS), then your history/science notebooks will be much smaller. What you can do, on the week the WWS assignment is to outline history, have your DD do it w/ her history instead. If it's a week where the details are given, you find the details and have DD pick what's relevant to what she wants to address and rewrite. Otherwise, I know for my son, a 6th grader, it would be a lot. I would look at the WTM2009 guidelines. I meant to do that as well. In it, I believe she gives guidelines for how much outlining each week. If it's 2/week and you're doing 1 outline w/ WWS, you can do another in science or history. Those are just my thoughts...we'll be starting WWS next week. We did the Beta test last year.

Thanks, Capt. I will have to give it a little more thought and maybe I will just wait to see how full our days are with the amount of work I am adding, before I decide what to do.

...are you doing additional writing? I am thinking about outlining in particular.,

We just started today, so I don't know yet how this is going to work, but here's my plan. My ds is 6th grade and he'll be doing WWS. For history, we're doing History Odyssey Ancients Level 2, which has outlining and summaries built into the program. Now, I'll be tweaking HO somewhat but I like the step-by-step approach to developing outlines. I *think* it will complement WWS very well. I'm not sure how the writing load will be, and I may eliminate some assignments in HO or WWS occasionally if it seems like too much.

I will also sometimes do creative writing exercises on day 5. Journals, story starters, writing games, etc. I know, it's not the classical way, but I like to do a bit anyway.

I plan to do an additional 30 minutes (4 days per week) of writing. We will do: dictation, outlining, answering review questions, and notetaking for his science text. We will not do any history writing this year.

We started WWS, and my ds was taking soooo long for each assignment (1-2 hours) that we are dropping back to WWE for 2 months and doing a week's worth of assignments in a day. Previously, he has done IEW for grades 3 and 4 and MCT Paragraph Town for grade 5, neither of which prepared him to write narrative summaries in WWS. sigh.

Ruth in NZ

Same situation here-- DS12, 7th grade. I hadn't planned to at first, but decided to use WWS to help get the basics down. I really like the WTM way of linking history and outlining and writing, but I think it's worth it to "unlink" these for a time. I'm having him do his 'list of facts' from the spine, and either do one outline or one summary during the week, depending on what's not being addressed that week in WWS.

However, I am thinking about dropping even this bit of history writing altogether and just sticking with the list of facts and then one literary analysis paper each week or so for his fiction reading. I don't want to burn him out on writing! I keep tweaking...

Amy

I am using WWS with my 7th grader. I had planned to have him do 1 outline and 1 summary in history, in addition to his lists of facts. He would also do his summaries in science, a couple a week. And do the WWS lessons. As we are getting into it though, and I am realizing just how meaty WWS is, I have dropped the history outlines and summaries. I am waiting to see if I will have to adjust further.

I'm doing WWS with a 7th grader and she will be doing some additional writing. She is outlining in science and she will be writing two research papers in history this year. I do think I will have her do NaNoWriMo this fall too. She doesn't necessarily do other writing every day though.

Dd11 is using WWS. She is also doing her outlining in History which for her ends up being only once a week. She will also have a few reports to write later into the year for History but they are just for gathering info. I don't focus so much on correct style since she isn't really to the report writing stage. She also outlines her Science text again just once a week. No other summaries except for WWS. It seems to be working all though it is hard to tell since she complains about most things anyways. However, she is making great improvement with WWS.

• 1 month later...

DD is in 5th. I had originally planned to use MCT and do a 3-5 paragraph assignment on a history or science topic every week. But the further we get into WWS, the more I like it. So I have mostly dropped the MCT writing and we do WWE and alternate the short paper with creative writing, since that is what she loves.