Menu

Spielvogel World History: The Human Odyssey in one year or two?

I had originally planned to use this text over two years using the mental rationale that they also sell it as two separate texts, but now I'm questioning whether that would be sufficient for two credits. I'm also going to be using the TC World History videos and having him do map work and other reading. Thoughts?

Amy

We used Spielvogel's Human Odyssey (a single volume textbook, c. 1999, 1100+ pages) as the spine for 3 years worth of history, along with a number of other non-fiction resources, historical fiction, time-line entries, documentaries, etc.:

Ancient World = approx. first 200 pages

Century World = approx. last 450 pages

Medieval to Englightenment = approx. middle 450 pages

Our DSs would have found 1100 pages of a textbook in a single year overwhelming (not to mention dull). Your idea of TC videos, map work, and other reading would be great along with whatever "chunk" of Spielvogel fits in with your time frame. BEST of luck! Warmest regards, Lori D.

I have searched on "Spielvogel" but not used the tags; have to figure out how to do that. :) I agree the book is intimidating--in fact, my son said "aghh!!" when he saw it. LOL! Thanks for the feedback--I am reassured that it will be ok to do it in two years. I find myself kind of paranoid about what is sufficient for a high school credit. I KNOW we are not going to be good about recording time spent on a topic, so I want to be sure that the materials we use are "good enough!"

Amy

I have searched on "Spielvogel" but not used the tags; have to figure out how to do that. :)

Amy, you can click on the underlined Spielvogel tag in my post and it will take you to the threads. To search on a tag, you click on 'Search' towards the top right of your screen, then 'Tag Search', then enter what tag you want to search for. If you type slow, it will bring up options for you and you can click on what you want.

HTH!