Menu

Pass me the worst parent award please

I need the worst parent award.

I wasn't around when my DS13 needed me :crying:. My Dh is off in Canada for the month.

I was 20 minutes drive away refereeing basketball , He was at home under the care of DS17. He took the dog for a walk, ( he rode on this bike, the dog ran beside him) he fell off on the road and landed with his thumb between the road and his helmet, completely crushing the end of his thumb. He then rode 1 1/2 km home, and DS17 then spent 1 hour trying to contact me or my parents to come and take him the hospital. Eventually he was able to contact my father , who left work and took him, then came and got me from Basketball.

His thumb was badly crushed. He has completely lost his thumbnail, and the doctor is unsure if it will grow back as the nail bed is damaged, has a possible crushed bone, and thumb was split and is now stitched back together.

I should have been home looking after my own children.

:grouphug:

Oh, honey. It's not like you were perched on a bar stool, getting drunk at the local pub.

Moms need to leave the kids at times. It could have happened when you were grocery shopping or at the library.

I hope DS heals quickly.

Take it easy on yourself!

:iagree:

Don't be so hard on yourself! :grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

Oh, honey. It's not like you were perched on a bar stool, getting drunk at the local pub.

Moms need to leave the kids at times. It could have happened when you were grocery shopping or at the library.

I hope DS heals quickly.

:grouphug::grouphug:I'm not sure who I feel more sorry for, you or your son. Your son will heal. You need to forgive yourself. You really did nothing wrong!!!!!! You just CAN'T be there for every single kid every single time. That's not realistic.:grouphug::grouphug::grouphug:

I don't see where you did anything wrong at all - your boys aren't little kids, they're perfectly capable of staying home on their own. Stuff happens - and you being in your house wouldn't have kept him from falling off his bike.

He's a thirteen year old boy - I bet it's only a day or two (or less!) before he's showing off his "really gross" thumb to his friends. ;)

I should have been home looking after my own children.

No.

You younger son handled it well, getting home to the person in charge, Your older son handled it well, keeping his brother safe and hunting down someone who could help them.

This is going to sound mean but feeling guilty right now is a self-centered thing to do. There was nothing you could have done differently. Feeling bad about this is an indulgence on your part.

Instead, hug your two sons, focus on how proud you are that they handled a very stressful situation so well. Take them out to supper and let them talk about it and get it all out of their system. Make it about their maturity and not your feelings. They did so well!

And lest your think I'm a total meanie...:grouphug: I'd probably have similar thoughts myself.:001_smile:

I hope DS heals quickly.

You raised 2 boys that kept their cool in an emergency, and did exactly what needed to be done.

Sorry, but that's not worthy of the Worst Mom award.

Accidents happen, and parents are not always around when they do, especially when the children are teens.

I say you get a Good Mother award because you have taught your dc to handle unexpected emergencies with wisdom and without panic. They wisely did what they needed to do to take care of the medical situation. You raised and taught them well!

No.

This is going to sound mean but feeling guilty right now is a self-centered thing to do. There was nothing you could have done differently. Feeling bad about this is an indulgence on your part.

Instead, hug your two sons, focus on how proud you are that they handled a very stressful situation so well. Take them out to supper and let them talk about it and get it all out of their system. Make it about their maturity and not your feelings. They did so well!

And lest your think I'm a total meanie...:grouphug: I'd probably have similar thoughts myself.:001_smile:

Boy, what a self-indulgent JERK I am!

Agreed with everyone else. Just be proud that you raised a kid who dealt with that so bravely.

Life is full of risk. In order to live happy lives where we get out into the world and enjoy it, we have to accept some level of risk. If we don't, we all end up sheltered (in a clearly bad way). When something does go wrong, it's our knee jerk reaction to say clearly we should have not taken that risk. But by not taking reasonable risks, we lose something as well, which is easy to lose sight of in the midst of a crisis.