Menu

SL P4/5 Developing the Early Learner?

jwoodbri

We use it.

If you have Singapore maths and/or Explode the Code, there's not much point to it IMO.

It has stuff like same/different (i.e. tap your foot then the chair) is that noise the same or different? Finding the "hidden" animals and general stuff like that. Explode the code has find the different object, and follow the line to get to the letter, and SM has same/different bigger/smaller and all sorts of comparisons.

Really, I would give it a miss, even if you did not do anything formal, it would all be covered. My 2yo knows big/small, can see the tiger in those pictures and can follow a line, and knows different sounds, and she hasn't touched those books.

To me, its just busy work. We got it because it came with Sonlight core we purchased before we had decided what we were doing. So we may/may not finish it off for DD5, but I won't be purchasing it again.

If the child needs help with comparisons, auditory skills, and patterns, and you don't want to purchase other programs (like maths or phonics) then it would probably suit, elsewise, most of these skills are either covered naturally or through other programs.

HTH xxx :)

We have used these (and are going through them again with younger ds), and really like them a lot! I like the progression of each skill and how it really challenges the kids. My dc also love them and always ask to do more! Having said that, they are quite pricey. I was given the entire set by a friend, but I don't know that I would spend that much on workbooks for that age.

Really, I would give it a miss, even if you did not do anything formal, it would all be covered. My 2yo knows big/small, can see the tiger in those pictures and can follow a line, and knows different sounds, and she hasn't touched those books.

To me, its just busy work. We got it because it came with Sonlight core we purchased before we had decided what we were doing. So we may/may not finish it off for DD5, but I won't be purchasing it again.

If the child needs help with comparisons, auditory skills, and patterns, and you don't want to purchase other programs (like maths or phonics) then it would probably suit, elsewise, most of these skills are either covered naturally or through other programs.

:iagree:

My little man absolutely loved his "fun sheets". He looked forward to them everyday. I used them as a warm-up, a transition from studying our Bible together while cuddled up on the couch, just before math. I still follow this routine of Bible, Critical Thinking, and then Math. It works for us.

After DEL we used Critical Thinking Activities for K-3 and now Visual Perceptual Skill Building 2 & Building Thinking Skills 1.

:001_smile:

Edited by CMama

I think they are nice for preschool age and my younger two have/are really enjoying them. My just turned 4 yo dd is doing them now and just loves them. I don't think there is any rocket science to them...some is quite easy for her, but other parts have challenged her more. For me, it's a nice thing that she likes to do while I do math with my middle son. Again, if she didn't like it, I don't think I would push them, but she LOVES them.

Thanks for all your feedback. I think if I can find them for a decent price I will go ahead and pick them up. My DS who is 4 can already read cvc words and surprises me with how well he can write and we haven't done anything formal yet so I wasn't sure if it would be too easy for him. But I suppose even if some of it is, it will be a good confidence booster and if it turns out to really be too easy we can always save them for little sister or brother.

Thank you!

Thanks for all your feedback. I think if I can find them for a decent price I will go ahead and pick them up. My DS who is 4 can already read cvc words and surprises me with how well he can write and we haven't done anything formal yet so I wasn't sure if it would be too easy for him. But I suppose even if some of it is, it will be a good confidence booster and if it turns out to really be too easy we can always save them for little sister or brother.

Thank you!

They're less about regular reading and writing skills, and concentrate on things like memory. My ds had already been through Calvert's first grade and was reading Magic Treehouse books at a rate of 2 a day when we did them, but he still enjoyed and learned something from the DEL books ... I wasn't sure that he would.