Menu

Use a Shakespeare Dictionary? If so, which one?

I'd say get an edition that includes glosses. I love Shakespeare, but I hate stopping to look stuff up.

As an aside, in case you care, I would not expect everything to be explained, no edition will explain everything, Shakespeare is too rich and explaining everything all at once would totally suck the life out of it. Plus it is just plain fun to figure some stuff out on your own.

I really like the Oxford School series by Oxford University Press. They have lots of side notes explaining not only old English words, but also phrases, context, and literary allusions.

:iagree:These are our favorite editions even down to the way they are sized and the ease in holding them. The notes are very good, but do not interfere with the experience.

:seeya:Hi Robin, I hope your year is getting off to a good start! We are continuing on with last year's Shakespeare kick since a good time was had by all.

I've fallen in love with the side-by-side "No Fear Shakespeare" editions. I'll use those editions for at least the first 2-4 plays each of my kids reads. They really make the process painless, and I think we get much more out of it this way than having to stop and look things up all the time (or simply skim over with a vague understanding of the language).

We used the Folger editions in high school, I love them! They have text in one page and definitions and other notes on one page. I don't want to he told everything. I love to read the language! I have spent enough time on Shakespeare to be 0retty comfortable with it. If you want help teaching Shakespeare as more than lit, get and acting styles or acting Shakespeare book. Studying the Globe and staging of the period really adds to the experience.

I've fallen in love with the side-by-side "No Fear Shakespeare" editions. I'll use those editions for at least the first 2-4 plays each of my kids reads. They really make the process painless, and I think we get much more out of it this way than having to stop and look things up all the time (or simply skim over with a vague understanding of the language).

I really like these, too. It's so easy to read the original, then glance over to the right hand page when you need a little clarification. Many of them are available for free online at SparkNotes.

Hi Lisa, we did end up getting the Oxford. Success!! My hope is that we'll have a good enough time to want to continue beyond these initial few readings. Thank you... yes, our year is off to a decent start. Only two more years left. Amazing how time flies. I don't know if I'm happy or sad :/

Take care,

Robin