Menu

Best sewing machine for a beginner?

(or should I repair mine?) I have a Brother XL 3500 http://www.overstock.com/Crafts-Sewing/Brother-XL-3500-Sewing-Machine-Refurb/1732355/product.html

I was having problem with it and discovered that I need an attachment to hold my thread. For whatever reason the spool is tiny.As a result I was keeping the spool on the bobbin winder which was affecting my tension.

Also, I am pretty sure my needle was bent and had hit the "plate?" (sorry I do not know what it is called) a few times. I was told this could throw off the timing. :confused:

In the move the bobbin guide broke off as well. I am pretty sure I could still wind a bobbin, but I am just wondering if I should have a very basic machine. I really enjoyed my class. I already had some experience sewing, but I came away with many finishing techniques I didn't know.

I just want to be able to quilt, do simple home decor items, and simple clothing items.

This is going to be like th Vitamix discussions :-) People are passionate about their high-end sewing machine and are sure your life will be better if you have one. They might be right, but I'm happier not knowing.

I've had two machines in my adult life. Both cheap. I use the straight and zig-zag stitches 99% of the time. The first machine was a Simplicity and it lasted 15 years. The one I have now is a Euro-Pro. They've been all I've needed to make my wedding dress, sew on patches, make curtains, couch covers, and LOTS of costumes over the years.

I struggled with a cheap machine for years. Then dh bought me a Bernina. Not their top of the line, but it was about $800 a decade ago. It changed my life.

I do NOT have issues with tension, thread bunching, fabric feeding wrong..nothing. I can sew daily without issues and leave it sitting for weeks and when I come back I turn it on, start sewing, and have no issues.

My daughter has a new cheap machine. She's constantly fighting with it.

Anecdotal? Yes.

I'm busy. When I have time to quilt, I want to spend that time quilting- not adjusting my machine. It's been money well spent.

I think the general rule is either spend a lot for a newer expensive machine or go old. I have 3 machines. A cheaper Kenmore that's about 12 yrs old that lives at my mother's house, a Singer from the early 70's that came with the sewing table I bought for $10 used and a black Singer 15-91 my GMIL gave me.

I use the Singer from the 70's. It's very simple and problem free. It does a zig-zag and straight stitches and that's it which is all you need for basic sewing. I want to use the 15-91 as well but it's awaiting a thorough go over of the wiring first. Both of those machines are all metal and very sturdy. Replacement parts are very easy to find for both if they ever happen to break something - which I'm not sure will ever happen.:)

So honestly, check out used listings for an all-metal machine that's 40 years old or older. Pick one up for $50 or less and take it to a good sewing machine shop and get it checked over for another $50 (or don't. I haven't bothered yet with my $10 machine). Then you've got an excellent machine for under $100 that will likely last longer and cause you less issues then one you might pick up at Walmart or Sears for several hundred dollars.

Even a lot of folks who have very expensive models frequently still have some old machines around (15-91s are popular amongst them) that they use quite often.

I used my Grandma's old Singer until the motor went out, then my mom bought me a Brother at Walmart. Once I learned how to adjust tension and stitch length, I have had no problems (I did nothing impressive with Gma's machine, now I make costumes for huge shows. I am self taught and don't always do things the best way :) but I have not had trouble with the Brother. When it dies, I will probably get a better machine from a sewing/fabric store.

Well I have spent the morning searching craigslist for an older singer. There are a few, but they are priced at or above $200. :glare: Hmmmmm....looks like people are catching on that they are still in demand! ;)

My mom sews with a Singer that belonged to her dad, who made his living as a tailor. She's 76, but he had the machine when she was born. Works like a charm.

This summer she bought a Singer Featherweight- it was built in the early 40's. Her 'new' machine! She uses it to take on quilt retreats. It cost $495.

Yeah, older machines can still be pricey. Hope you find a good machine at a bargain price!

Okay, I called on this one. He said they just pulled it out of grandma's attic. It works, but they do not know how to thread it. When I go to look at it what do I need to look for? Heck, how do I thread it?!

Then after I get it I take it to a sewing store, right?

Are you viewing it tonight? If you give me a few hours I can try to ID it for you and get you a manual so you can get a threading guide although it doesn't look that complicated. Someone here might be able to give you an idea on that too. If I can ID I can also check patternreview.com for a review of it. It's a good idea to thread it and test it rather then just turn it on and see if the needle goes up and down. :) And yes, where it's metal I'd take it in and get them to check it. The insulation on the wiring can get brittle and then all that glorious metal becomes an electrocution hazard.

If for some reason you can't find an old one you like, I've been very pleased with my bottom-of-the-line Janome - BUT you have to buy one from a real sewing store (Janome dealer), and not from Sears (Janome Made for Sears). It sews smoothly and I've never had a problem with it. My Mom has had her Janome machine for over 15 years, never had it serviced, and it sews like hot butter.

Are you viewing it tonight? If you give me a few hours I can try to ID it for you and get you a manual so you can get a threading guide although it doesn't look that complicated. Someone here might be able to give you an idea on that too. If I can ID I can also check patternreview.com for a review of it. It's a good idea to thread it and test it rather then just turn it on and see if the needle goes up and down. :) And yes, where it's metal I'd take it in and get them to check it. The insulation on the wiring can get brittle and then all that glorious metal becomes an electrocution hazard.

I am not going until Sat.

Edited by simka2

I haven't read all of the responses, but I sew a lot and wanted to weigh in. I learned in high school on a Bernina and some nicer Singer machines. I got great results and enjoyed sewing. A few years after college, I borrowed my mother's old Singer to make a dress. My results were terrible! I couldn't get the tension right, the needle was probably old, it probably needed an adjustment--whatever the issue, I thought I was bad, not the machine and I gave up on sewing. When I found out our second baby was to be a girl, dh took me to buy a new sewing machine so I could make sweet little dresses. I had learned to smock and was dying to sew. He got me a Bernina (low end computerized model) and I took a couple of lessons and haven't stopped sewing since. I get great results. A few years ago I tried to teach my neighbor to sew on a low-end Brother from Wal-Mart or Target. I wanted to pluck my eyes out--it made me crazy! I would never sew if I had to sew on that machine. She's OK with it, i think, but I just wasn't getting the results from it that I can get from a better, computerized machine. Especially sewing on the fine batiste that I like to use for baby clothes. So I wouldn't trade my Bernina for anything (well...a better Bernina maybe...LOL). Last year we got dd (11 y.o.) a starter sewing machine. I checked reviews for a long time and chose the Brother CS6000i from Amazon.com. It is computerized and has good tension and a nice stitch. It has some fun stitches for her to use and it feels a lot more solid than the cheap Brother my neighbor had. Right now, it's listed for around $150 at Amazon, but it was on sale about $30 cheaper when we got it. I firmly believe in spending a little more to get a machine that won't frustrate you. If you buy an old machine, be prepared to spend some money getting it cleaned and tuned up so it will sew well. My mom's Singer was a good machine after she spent $75 or so on a complete service and cleaning. But either way, you have to spend a little to get something that will sew a nice flat seam and not frustrate you or discourage you. I read a lot of crafting blogs and see a lot of puckered seams and wobbly topstitching out there...

I haven't read all of the responses, but I sew a lot and wanted to weigh in. I learned in high school on a Bernina and some nicer Singer machines. I got great results and enjoyed sewing. A few years after college, I borrowed my mother's old Singer to make a dress. My results were terrible! I couldn't get the tension right, the needle was probably old, it probably needed an adjustment--whatever the issue, I thought I was bad, not the machine and I gave up on sewing. When I found out our second baby was to be a girl, dh took me to buy a new sewing machine so I could make sweet little dresses. I had learned to smock and was dying to sew. He got me a Bernina (low end computerized model) and I took a couple of lessons and haven't stopped sewing since. I get great results. A few years ago I tried to teach my neighbor to sew on a low-end Brother from Wal-Mart or Target. I wanted to pluck my eyes out--it made me crazy! I would never sew if I had to sew on that machine. She's OK with it, i think, but I just wasn't getting the results from it that I can get from a better, computerized machine. Especially sewing on the fine batiste that I like to use for baby clothes. So I wouldn't trade my Bernina for anything (well...a better Bernina maybe...LOL). Last year we got dd (11 y.o.) a starter sewing machine. I checked reviews for a long time and chose the Brother CS6000i from Amazon.com. It is computerized and has good tension and a nice stitch. It has some fun stitches for her to use and it feels a lot more solid than the cheap Brother my neighbor had. Right now, it's listed for around $150 at Amazon, but it was on sale about $30 cheaper when we got it. I firmly believe in spending a little more to get a machine that won't frustrate you. If you buy an old machine, be prepared to spend some money getting it cleaned and tuned up so it will sew well. My mom's Singer was a good machine after she spent $75 or so on a complete service and cleaning. But either way, you have to spend a little to get something that will sew a nice flat seam and not frustrate you or discourage you. I read a lot of crafting blogs and see a lot of puckered seams and wobbly topstitching out there...

I think that's why it's a good idea to have a used machine checked over very soon after purchase. All machines need maintenance and you just never know how long it's been for the machine you just bought at a thrift store or yard sale.