Menu

has anyone lost weight by NOT being on a diet

but rather by changing habits, or getting rid of the REASONS why you overeat? I have lost over 80 lbs and I have been stuck for quite awhile. I just cannot stick to a diet plan. And I am sick to death of dieting and worrying and thinking about food. I googled "how to stick to a diet" and found this article

It makes so much sense to me and I am thinking about trying out these 10 tips and seeing where it gets me. I realize I still have to do some form of a healthy eating plan and so I am going to track my calories and that's it. I will also continue to exercise 30 mins a day because I just feel better when I do. I think this last chunk of weight is a mental hurdle more than anything and I just need a life change rather than a diet. I need to change my mind and habits.

I really like the idea of automated eating. I NEED to make eating...just eating. Not my means of a reward or something that I look forward to doing. I think that making an eating schedule and plan may take away the fun for me and I will reprogram myself to just eat to live and not live to eat. I truly get disgusted with the way I love food. I gotta get over this and get on with my life. Food and weight have consumed my thoughts for too long.

Has anyone BTDT and had success?

I quit reading when she recommended skipping meals to prove to yourself that hunger isn't an emergency.

I'm a big believer in small, frequent meals to regulate blood sugar.

There's no way I'd skip a meal.

:iagree:

I changed habits but not in any of the ways that she recommended.

1. I invested in a glucometer and some test strips to find out how carbs affect my blood sugar levels (negatively as it turned out even though I'm not diabetic).

2. I eat 5 small meals a day/ or 3 meals and 2 snacks.

3. I have protein at every meal and snack.

4. I limit my carbs - esp. simple carbs.

5. I count my calories as spot checks only (recommended by my personal trainer). This taught me to regulate my portion size.

6. I report my food intake to my diet buddies. I only continue with diet buddies who give me daily support and who need to report to me too for support from me.

7. I exercise daily for an hour.

8. I have chocolate daily - 1 square of Lindt 85% dark chocolate with touch of seasalt. (My diet buddies will tell you that I also have other treats on occasion but I balance it with protein and exercise)

I've lost 12 pounds in the last 2 months (I had tried unsuccessfully to lose weight by dieting in the previous year.)

MY mom got cancer... I got serious about eating right. I eat salad as often as I can. I do a vinegar/oil dressing with pepper and salt... or a simple dressing. I eat lots of salad... for a while and then some other decent foods... I eat lots of organic, farm fresh boiled eggs... Organic... almost everything. Stopped drinking soda, except for a bit of Hansen's. I stopped eating almost all sugar. (seriously, very seriously careful) I try to eat whole grains... when possible. I try for just a bit of juice every once in a while... fruit smoothies with some fresh fruit and vanilla yogurt. I think the really low sugar is a big part of it. I was using cream in the coffee, and just stopped... and do 2% milk or such.... instead.

My next goal is to start exercising. I'll be 40 on Friday... and am in better shape than I was since I was married. I have lost 20 lbs.... and I'm super happy!!! I really think the sugar part is key... Once you stop eating sugar... there's not much that I like to eat.... (Course... there's cheese :))

I liked the article. I've lost 35+ pounds a couple of times in my life employing some of her thoughts/ideas (although I did it from a spiritual starting place), without adding exercise in. I have no problem skipping meals and in fact have come to appreciate the feeling of hunger very much. I lose weight faster when I let myself get hungry, and then don't overeat; when I don't let food rule my life by being an ever constant thought/activity (I'm never starving hungry, just empty feeling). And I feel better in other ways than just the physical.

When I don't eat this way, I gain weight and I am now again in the process of losing -- about 18 lbs in the last year, with about 8 to go. This time I'm exercising too, and I haven't felt this good in a long time. When I do well, I'm eating two small meals a day; because I'm eating a small amount, what I do eat is full of nutrients. I eat better food when I eat this way. I know not everyone agrees, but I don't think we need as much food as "they" say we do. I don't think we have to munch throughout the day to avoid that feeling of hunger as if it's a bad thing. At least it's not been my experience.

HTH.

Edited by milovaný

Guest submarines
I quit reading when she recommended skipping meals to prove to yourself that hunger isn't an emergency.

She said to skip a meal ONCE, to prove to yourself that hunger is not an emergency.

I used to be scared of being hungry, as I equated hungry with weak. DH travels a lot, and I used to worry of not being able to take care of the kids. I ate very healthy--no sugars, low carbs, but my portions were quite big, and I didn't even realise it. I was gaining weight, and couldn't lose it, couldn't figure out why.

Then I read the 17 Day Diet book, and he talked about poriton sizes and hunger-meter. I tried eating less, and to my surprise, smaller portions keep me satisfied, and yes, a empty stomach doesn't mean hunger, and doesn't mean being weak.

So if one is experiencing similar mindset, skipping a meal to prove to oneself that being hungry is not the end of the world, and isn't scary, is actually an excellent idea.

I wouldn't do it on a regular basis as the means to losing weight, though.

I haven't yet had time to fully read her article, only to skim it. I do like what she's written in the past and agree very much with her approach. I need to buy some of her books.

I have no problem skipping meals and in fact have come to appreciate the feeling of hunger very much. I lose weight faster when I let myself get hungry, and then don't overeat; when I don't let food rule my life by being an ever constant thought/activity (I'm never starving hungry, just empty feeling). And I feel better in other ways than just the physical.

I don't think we need as much food as "they" say we do. I don't think we have to munch throughout the day to avoid that feeling of hunger as if it's a bad thing. At least it's not been my experience.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

In the past 10 or so years, this is the only way that I've lost any significant amount of weight. I need to do this again. Since returning from vacation, I'm constantly battling hunger and letting food take over my life. :glare: When I skip meals and allow for some reasonable hunger, I lose weight. I have been eating too much and it's become a nasty habit.

Reminds me of the hunger scale.

HUNGER SCALE

How hungry are you right now?

1. Physically faint

2. Ravenous

3. Fairly hungry

4. Slightly hungry

5. Neutral

6. Pleasantly satisfied

7. Full

8. Stuffed

9. Bloated

10. Nauseous

Each person is different, but as a general rule, you’ll want to eat whenever you notice yourself between 3 and 4 on the scale – that is, when you are fairly hungry, but before you become ravenous.

If you wait until you get down to 1 or 2, your body will go into starvation mode and you’ll wind up eating more than your body needs and storing the excess as fat.

Practice tuning in to your body once an hour and giving yourself a number from 1 to 10 until you begin to notice differences between different points on the hunger scale.

The more you practice tuning in to your own hunger, the sooner you’ll be able to recognize your body’s subtle signals long before your stomach growls and your brain starts to get fuzzy.

a empty stomach doesn't mean hunger, and doesn't mean being weak.

So if one is experiencing similar mindset, skipping a meal to prove to oneself that being hungry is not the end of the world, and isn't scary, is actually an excellent idea.

Yes, I need to be reminded of this. Thank you. :)

I've never dieted. I lose weight when I stop worrying about my weight and simply eat well and at the proper times of the day for me.

I hate weight-loss diets with a passion. They grant food a power it just doesn't have and, to me, turn our relationship with what we eat on it's head.

Everytime I've gone on a diet, I've gained the weight back as soon as I went off so a lifestyle change is the only way to go. I liked the author's advice about skipping a meal. I didn't do that but what I did do is make myself get used to being hungry by not allowing myself to snack between breakfast and lunch. I lost weight years ago by eating healthier: sweets only as treats, switched to whole grain bread, rice, pasta, etc., make sure to get some form lean protein at each meal, and I try to eat lots of fruits and veggies. I have found my standards slipping a bit the last year or so and I decided to limit my breakfast to 200 calories-usually a handful of raw nuts or boiled eggs, and not allow myself to eat again until lunch. I've learned that it won't kill me to be hungry and my body has adjusted so that I don't really get hungry until around lunch time now. I've always eaten healthy throughout the day and then I cook a normal dinner for my family and try to eat a modest portion. That, along with walking 2 miles a day is how I do it. I gained a few pounds over vacation this year and have been home and back in my routine for a week and a half and have already lost 2 pounds-6 more to go!

I can't lose weight by dieting, because I will obsess about food and then gain weight. So a few years ago, when I wanted to lose weight because my weight was beginning to affect my health, I read books and websites trying to figure out how to eat healthier as a lifestyle. I stopped drinking sweet tea and starting eating a salad as a meal 3-4 times/week. I always include some kind of protein on my salads, such as grilled chicken, salmon, tuna, or hard-boiled egg. I also started stopping to think about whether I was actually hungry before taking seconds. I lost 15 lbs just by making those changes.

I liked the article. I've lost 35+ pounds a couple of times in my life employing some of her thoughts/ideas (although I did it from a spiritual starting place), without adding exercise in. I have no problem skipping meals and in fact have come to appreciate the feeling of hunger very much. (I'm never starving hungry, just empty feeling). And I feel better in other ways than just the physical.

When I don't eat this way, I gain weight and I am now again in the process of losing -- about 18 lbs in the last year, with about 8 to go. This time I'm exercising too, and I haven't felt this good in a long time. When I do well, I'm eating two small meals a day; because I'm eating a small amount, what I do eat is full of nutrients. I eat better food when I eat this way. I know not everyone agrees, but I don't think we need as much food as "they" say we do. I don't think we have to munch throughout the day to avoid that feeling of hunger as if it's a bad thing. At least it's not been my experience.

HTH.

:iagree::iagree: I was just thinking about this same thing...I've lost around 25 lbs in the past couple months...no diet per se...but I cut out sugary snacks and sodas, and am eating only when I am hungry...which I am finding is MUCH less than I used to actually eat because I bought into that "must eat" frequently mentality. (even have my favorite Wendy's once or twice a week!) I've also been do some strength building exercises and some sporadic cardio...I feel better than I have in years and feel like a fog has been lifted! Extra weight and poor eating really bring me down physically and mentally...and I hate that I let myself go like that ever :glare:

but rather by changing habits, or getting rid of the REASONS why you overeat?

I did this when I moved to the middle of downtown and went to college. I was walking constantly. I ate regularly but did lose weight unintentionally.

Currently I've stopped drinking soda and rarely drink fruit juice, in order to save my teeth. I still eat sweets but I think I've eliminated some empty calories.

She said only do this once in awhile to make yourself see what hunger is. I also, like a PP, equate hunger with "weakness" and starvation. If I feel hungry I overeat. So I eat all.the.time. I do eat pretty healthy and I dont drink soda and I do exercise, but I overeat. I eat salad and whole grains and veggies and not a lot of sugar. I manage to overeat these things. It would be a great thing for me to skip a meal and not die :)

I have looked at the NoS diet and if I ever follow a plan that will be the one. I still feel like I will overeat on it though. I think I need an actual structured, deprogram me from food plan.

Maybe I need to figure out calories per day, split it up between meals and write out some rules for myself. I need to not snack but once a week. I think mainly, I need to preplan my meals the day before and make myself a menu and thats it. I do it for my kids, I shouldnt have such a problem doing it for myself.

Any tips on how you mentally change your mindset?? Write down everything?? I really need to change my mindset on other areas of my life. too. SIGH. I am slipping into some bad habits.

Edited by kwickimom

My dh lost 100lbs by cutting portion sizes, not going back for seconds, and eating a large salad with at least one meal a day. We still eat full fat everything (lots of butter, coconut oil, avocados, cheese, etc.) and he's going on 4 years keeping it off.

WOW! thats amazing. I know guys lose it faster, but I only have about 30-40 lbs left to go. Thats encouraging!!

I don't really consider this a diet - but I lost a little weight last year by using Lost It! which is just a calorie tracking app for your smart phone. It's free. It gives you a custom calorie goal of what you *should* be eating so you have a clue and then you just enter your foods and exercise. I didn't really change what I eat that much, but tracking it helped me snack less mindlessly and snack smarter. I probably should have kept it up... but I... um... didn't. Still, I know other people who have and who lost real weight that way.

i also love the "no s" diet, although it really isn't a diet imo. i also only drink water usually, except for coffee in the AM & an occasional soda if eating out (which is rare). lastly, i eat little red meat or chicken. i was vegan for a good while, then vegetarian, and now i mainly eat fish (although we do buy hamburger from our neighbor, it's organic grass-fed). i don't think of my choices as restrictions, but really they are habits and lifestyle changes for me. i don't go without or deprive myself, i just am more in-tune with what i put in my mouth.

What do you do when the only sugar you have is in your morning coffee? I cut out soda years ago (except for the rare occasion of root beer :D). I bake maybe once a week and have one serving (before it is wolfed down by the family). I refuse to buy things with HFCS.

I don't lose no matter what I do (well unless I run 30 mins or more every. single. day. I can't do that, I just don't have the time nor the place to do it, unless I want to drive, then that takes over an hour out of my day. No can do. So I walk 3-4 nights a week when dd is at karate, but that only helps maintain really, not lose.

I have tried eating breakfast (I generally don't) for an extended amount of time (2-3 weeks) didn't shed an ounce. I have tried eating the "big" meal at lunch and eating a light dinner. Nope. I have checked my basil temp. It is 98.6 when my eyes open.

However I do think genetics play a role. You can't fight genetics. My sisters complain of the same thing. Two of them that work out regularly and keep the weight off have to work out an hour a day 4-5 times a week. Otherwise the weight comes back on. I know how they eat, it isn't bad and they don't overeat. My whole family is large, in bone structure and in fat. I am one measly pound under 200 and my other sister is at the very least 230 (possible more). My mom and dad have always been over 200 andm before my mom was diabetic, over 250-300. I have never been over 210 (unless pregnant) and that was only once. I can maintain really well at 198-199. I want to maintain at 160-165! :)

No ideas here just typing out my thoughts :)

I don't really consider this a diet - but I lost a little weight last year by using Lost It! which is just a calorie tracking app for your smart phone. It's free. It gives you a custom calorie goal of what you *should* be eating so you have a clue and then you just enter your foods and exercise. I didn't really change what I eat that much, but tracking it helped me snack less mindlessly and snack smarter. I probably should have kept it up... but I... um... didn't. Still, I know other people who have and who lost real weight that way.

thanks I will look into it. Sparkpeople overwhelms me.

I've lost 10lbs so far this summer by counting calories on most days (I do take some breaks) using myfitnesspal.com. I allow myself to eat the things I like, in moderation, but keeping track of my calories has helped me to control portion sizes and to understand what foods are really good for me (healthy, filling, etc) and which are just junk and not worth it. I'm also working out 3-5 times a week, both cardio and weights.

What do you do when the only sugar you have is in your morning coffee? I cut out soda years ago (except for the rare occasion of root beer :D). I bake maybe once a week and have one serving (before it is wolfed down by the family). I refuse to buy things with HFCS.

I don't lose no matter what I do (well unless I run 30 mins or more every. single. day. I can't do that, I just don't have the time nor the place to do it, unless I want to drive, then that takes over an hour out of my day. No can do. So I walk 3-4 nights a week when dd is at karate, but that only helps maintain really, not lose.

I have tried eating breakfast (I generally don't) for an extended amount of time (2-3 weeks) didn't shed an ounce. I have tried eating the "big" meal at lunch and eating a light dinner. Nope. I have checked my basil temp. It is 98.6 when my eyes open.

However I do think genetics play a role. You can't fight genetics. My sisters complain of the same thing. Two of them that work out regularly and keep the weight off have to work out an hour a day 4-5 times a week. Otherwise the weight comes back on. I know how they eat, it isn't bad and they don't overeat. My whole family is large, in bone structure and in fat. I am one measly pound under 200 and my other sister is at the very least 230 (possible more). My mom and dad have always been over 200 andm before my mom was diabetic, over 250-300. I have never been over 210 (unless pregnant) and that was only once. I can maintain really well at 198-199. I want to maintain at 160-165! :)

No ideas here just typing out my thoughts :)

I use Splenda in my coffee and maybe 3 times a week eat some chocolate or something. Sugar is also not my problem. I eat healthy foods, I think its just my portions. I have been maintaining at the exact weight as you! I can eat 40,000 cals a day and not gain but I cannot seem to lose another ounce. :glare:

I want to be 160-170 also. I still have a lot of fat on my body and am not at a healthy BMI.

UGH

I was so glad to find the No So Diet so I could stop thinking about food so much and just enjoy it at meal time. It feels like the answer to the whole diet dilemma to me.

Thanks for the link...I like this...he had a quote that made me laugh out loud...

"You're fat because you eat too **** much.". :lol::lol: :iagree:

Edited by *~Tina~*

small, frequent meals. SMALL. The size of a handfull. I don't deny myself anything, but just eat a small amount and I never stuff myself. It actually makes me sick now. that's all I do. When I hit a plateau, I cut the portion size again.

Edited by justamouse

Any tips on how you mentally change your mindset?? Write down everything?? I really need to change my mindset on other areas of my life. too. SIGH. I am slipping into some bad habits.

The book Intuitive Eating completely changed my whole outlook and relationship with food. It no longer controls me. It's simply a means of fuel for my body. It sort of took the fun out of eating ~ but then again, it wasn't really fun, I guess...

I also read Intuitive Eating and it's a good book. Unfortunately, it didn't work for me and I actually gained quite a bit of weight (not the fault of the book, I just wasn't in the right place for it).

There have been points in my life where that intuitive eating mindset worked for me, but it tended to be only after I had been following some sort of calorie counting/food tracking plan for some time, and that kind of healthy eating basically became automatic. While on Weight Watchers, after measuring out my food and knowing how many Points it was and writing them down, I knew I reached a major breakthrough when I actually stopped eating before the food was gone. Before that, if I had counted the Points, I was eating every morsel no matter what!

I get caught up in this debate with myself all the time. I'm pregnant now so not going to WW, and I plan to rejoin after the baby. But all the weighing and measuring and all that seems to be the epitome of a diet and not the lifestyle change WW claims to be. I also found that I would tend to go for convenience, pre-packaged frozen meals and stuff over preparing my own healthier meals at times, just because I didn't want to have to calculate the Points. How counter-intuitive is that? So when I rejoin WW I am hoping to keep my mind open to the general tips for healthy eating, exercise motivation, and so on (especially accountability!), and focus less on micromanaging every little thing I put in my mouth because I honestly can't live like that.

I can't log my food, or keep up with calories, or do anything else like that. I did WW and other "diets" and failed.

So now, I eat less. When I am hungry, I decide what I want, then get about HALF the serving size I want. when I am serving plates for dinner, I make an extra child's plate for myself instead of an adult sized serving. If I really want more, then I get it, but I usually don't.

I've lost 20 pounds.

She said only do this once in awhile to make yourself see what hunger is. I also, like a PP, equate hunger with "weakness" and starvation. If I feel hungry I overeat.

It depends on why you equate hunger with weakness and starvation. If you are insulin resistant like many people are (and don't know it) then that weakness actually signals that your bloodsugar has plummeted too low. If you then "teach yourself a lesson about hunger" your body will release extra glucose to solve the problem. Then your bloodsugar will actually go up high - all without eating a bite. So no, I don't automatically think that her advice is good or healthy. It wouldn't be for me and I've had doctors as recently as two months ago test me and tell me that I wasn't diabetic. They're right - I'm not yet - but I still have problems with blood sugar, and insulin resistance. If you are not insulin resistance then of course, you can skip a meal and your body will regulate its blood sugar levels just fine.

It depends on why you equate hunger with weakness and starvation. If you are insulin resistant like many people are (and don't know it) then that weakness actually signals that your bloodsugar has plummeted too low. If you then "teach yourself a lesson about hunger" your body will release extra glucose to solve the problem. Then your bloodsugar will actually go up high - all without eating a bite. So no, I don't automatically think that her advice is good or healthy. It wouldn't be for me and I've had doctors as recently as two months ago test me and tell me that I wasn't diabetic. They're right - I'm not yet - but I still have problems with blood sugar, and insulin resistance. If you are not insulin resistance then of course, you can skip a meal and your body will regulate it's blood sugar levels just fine.

I don't think I am insulin resistant. I physically am fine when I skip a meal. I am just hungry and I don't let myself be hungry. I almost literally like freak out and then stuff my face. I don't like the feeling of hunger. For a long time (maybe years) I truly never ever felt hunger. I ate all the time. Just to eat. I loved to do it and its all I would think about. I am addicted to food plain and simple.

It sounds so ridiculous when I say it, but that's what it is. I am addicted to that lovely feeling of full. I guess its equal to how alcohol make alcoholics feel, or drugs make the druggie feel. I did great counting calories for awhile and then I slipped back into old habits. I did wonderful on WW and now I am back to my old habits.

I really feel like I need to attack the mental problem once and for all and part of that is feeling hunger, and living to talk about it :)

My friend has lost a huge amount of weight over the last year and gone from UK20 to a UK10-12. She says she has done it through the power of thought, telling her self she is slim and imagining exercising etc. She is an alternative health practitioner and promoting her method now.

However what she seems to have forgotten is that last year she ended an extremely bad relationship in which she had a huge number of problems and stresses and hated herself and her life. She moved on to a situation in which she is really happy and loving life and is very successful. I think that dealing with her issues has more to do with her weight loss than anything else.

I see that there are others that came up with the same conclusions that I did about weight loss.

Two years ago, I lost 25 lbs. I never "dieted". I didn't follow any plan, and I didn't count calories (I hate doing that!). I joke that what I simply did was "embrace hunger". I joke about it, but it is true. I basically ate whatever I wanted, but I only ate until I was satisfied. Not stuffed, not even really full, just satisfied. Yes, I tried to eat healthfully (for my health, not for weight loss), but if we went out to dinner and I wanted spaghetti and meatballs, then that is what I got. I would eat about 1/3 or so of it and pack the rest up. I would have 2-3 bites of DH's dessert if he got one and then stop. I didn't snack much at all. I learned to work through hunger pangs. It eventually became second nature and was really not hard at all. I liked it better because I knew that NO food was off limits. I hate being limited by things, so this worked better for me.

Unfortunately, this past spring and summer and a few vacations later, I fell off the bandwagon and now need to lose 8-10 pounds. I need to get in the right mindset and embrace my hunger again! :D

I joke that what I simply did was "embrace hunger".

Yeah, that's how I think about it too. I like hunger, now. I feel better when the edge of hunger is the usual state of affairs in this body. I was hungry when I woke up, and I had a half a banana. A couple hours later I was hungry again, so had an egg sandwich with cheese. Now I'm kinda, sorta starting to feel hungry again, but I have to work for 2.5 hours, so I'll eat later. I did have a big glass of water though. I'll have a small dinner tonight (maybe a salad, maybe a piece of chicken).

"Great bodies are made in the kitchen and improved in the gym."

I don't know where this quote originated, but it is true.

:iagree: :iagree: :iagree:

I'm struggling with this at the moment, or, should I say, most of my adult life :glare:.

It's how much you eat, not how hard you try to work it off, that matters more in losing weight. You should exercise to improve your health, but be warned: fiery spurts of vigorous exercise could lead to weight gain.

http://www.thefactsaboutfitness.com/articles/aerobicexercise.htm

ss_01_WtLossMyths.jpg