Menu

How much does it really cost for a family to visit Disney World?

Has anyone been to WDW in February? That's when we are planning to go. My husband will have the opportunity to take lots of leave at that time. I'm worried about the weather, but dh says it will be around 70 degrees.

I don't mind needing sweaters and long pants, but I DO NOT want to deal with coats and nippy winds!!

February is hit or miss. In the 17 years I lived there - most were nice - just needed maybe a light jacket. Last February was freezing so my friends were telling me. Odds are in your favor it will be fine though.

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'd love to do it as frugal as possible. We have NO problem taking food, prepping our own meals in the condo/room/resort.

The drive alone would be kind of rough since our 2.5yr old son is VERY car sick even with meds for it. BUT it will take us atleast a year to save up for it, I'm hoping by then he'll be much better and we'll be able to find a solution to easing his discomfort for the drive.

Do make sure and compare the cost of staying offsite and prepping meals with the cost of staying onsite during an off-season time with free dining plan. Sometimes, the difference is pretty small, especially if you are wanting to allow some fun snacks like Mickey ice cream and so forth. It just depends on what you want, and how you 'do' Disney - some people like the bigger accomodations and don't mind prepping food, while we really don't mind a small-ish room and love being able to skip all meal prep and eat all kinds of fun snacks, take breaks for an afternoon latte, etc.

For the car sickness, have you tried Sea Bands, that you wear on your wrist? They come in kid sizes now, and have been a lifesaver for us.

Sea Bands

Do make sure and compare the cost of staying offsite and prepping meals with the cost of staying onsite during an off-season time with free dining plan. Sometimes, the difference is pretty small, especially if you are wanting to allow some fun snacks like Mickey ice cream and so forth. It just depends on what you want, and how you 'do' Disney - some people like the bigger accomodations and don't mind prepping food, while we really don't mind a small-ish room and love being able to skip all meal prep and eat all kinds of fun snacks, take breaks for an afternoon latte, etc.

For the car sickness, have you tried Sea Bands, that you wear on your wrist? They come in kid sizes now, and have been a lifesaver for us.

Sea Bands

Will def. do our research and spend the next year doing so. I will pay for the meals and such if the difference is small enough. I'm hoping to go off season and during homeschool days. Not sure if there is such a thing. But I know they have homeschool days and I haven't seen the price chart for homeschool vs. regular.

I tried Sea Bands for my morning sickness and it didn't seem to work. However I didn't know they came in kids sizes. I wonder if he'll keep them on. I must try them on him! We've tried so many things already this won't hurt!

I DO want to allow us to have SOME "Disney" snacks/meals.

A couple of questions:

Is free dining ever offered during Homeschool Days? Do you have to stay on site for it?

The other meal plan that Disney offers (that isn't free lol) - do you have to stay on site for that one?

If you stay off site and pay parking, is it for the day (even if you leave) or do you have to pay it again when you come back?

I think that's it...at the moment. I'm strongly considering next October at this point. Just trying to work out a basic cost to see if its possible or if it'll need to wait another year. I don't mind doing some meals, but realistically I know that I won't do all of them at a condo. We would do breakfast (but I hadn't thought about character breakfasts) but other than that... maybe half of our dinners? If that?

We also have a pain with staying on site because there are 5 of us. :/

A couple of questions:

Is free dining ever offered during Homeschool Days? Do you have to stay on site for it?

The other meal plan that Disney offers (that isn't free lol) - do you have to stay on site for that one?

If you stay off site and pay parking, is it for the day (even if you leave) or do you have to pay it again when you come back?

I think that's it...at the moment. I'm strongly considering next October at this point. Just trying to work out a basic cost to see if its possible or if it'll need to wait another year. I don't mind doing some meals, but realistically I know that I won't do all of them at a condo. We would do breakfast (but I hadn't thought about character breakfasts) but other than that... maybe half of our dinners? If that?

I don't know about home school days, but I do know you have to stay on site for any type of dining plan, whether it's free or paid for.

Once you get into doing even SOME meals, snacks, and drinks at the park, I really don't think you save much by staying off-site and preparing meals (versus going during a free dining time). For example, when we calculated this trip, tickets for 4 people/7 days cost $1,068. The package deal, with hotel, tickets, and quick service meals, was $1,900 total! fyi, we have no "juniors" anymore, sigh. So that $832 difference would have to pay for accomodations plus all meals, snacks, and drinks. When we do the dining plan, we don't have to buy ANYTHING. Even though it is 2 meals and 1 snack per day, it is always more than enough; most servings are very generous. Obviously, we do share meals, but we are never "scrounging" to have it be enough, or buying extra.

Now, if you want do character meals, I think you need the upgraded dining plan (one table service/one quick service/one snack per day). For this trip, that would have been an extra $400 for us. Because we've done plenty of character meals in the past, and our kids are older, we stayed with quick service. But, if you are going to pay for a few character meals, again make sure you do the math. It may work out better to pay for the upgrade.

I also like the travel mug each person gets on the dining plan. It's refillable at the resort, and you can tell the kids it's a souvenir :D

A couple of questions:

No dining plans are available to those not staying on Disney property. We have always found it more convenient (and more fun) to stay in a Disney hotel, even if we're paying for the dining plan. And honestly, we've always paid for it....my trips never seem to coincide with free dining. :glare: However, the dining plan has always saved me about 25-30% over the "rack rate" for the food. Plus, eating at Disney is one of the most fun parts of our vacation.

Free dining is available from now through March 2012 (our next trip is scheduled for May. :lol:). I've heard rumors that it may be extended, but for now that's all they are....rumors.

Your dining plan corresponds to the Disney resort in which you're staying, so if you stay in a Value resort, you only get the "quick service" dining plan, which only includes counter service meals and snacks. We prefer sit-down restaurants, so we always get the regular dining plan which allows for a table service, quick service and snack each day. The deluxe dining plan is too much food for all but the most dedicated eaters. :lol: It has 2 table service meals per day, a counter service meal and two snacks.

Again, make sure that the cost of staying off-site is worth it. Not just monetarily (you will pay for parking, rental car, gas, etc.), but in terms of time (a lot of it is wasted traveling back and forth from your hotel to the parks) and hassle. When you stay off-site, you lose perks like more hours in the parks and....my favorite....free transportation and baggage pick-up to and from the airport. I love not having to go to baggage claim to retrieve my suitcases...they just magically appear in my hotel room.

Anyway, do a lot of research, read guidebooks and find out what works best for your family. How many people you will be traveling with, their ages, and any kind of special needs will heavily influence your decision. Disney vacations are not alike between any two families taking them, so take all advice with a grain of salt and really find what will work best for you.

The DISboards are a great resource: http://www.disboards.com/

Have a wonderful time planning!!!

Diane, I would love to splurge more on a Disney vacation and go there every year. You mentioned you budget $10,000 for your yearly vacation, is there anything special you do to be able to save up that amount each year? We have twice the children you do but at this point (for the next year anyway) our 2 youngest would continue to get in free so that helps....just trying to figure out how we can make this a more regular thing. We also live in WA state so we have to fly.

Well, $10,000 is what I budget, just to be safe, but I try not to let it get to that point.

The best thing that saves me money is planning. Early and thoroughly. We stay at value resorts (POP Century is my favorite), because that enables us to have a longer vacation and since we are a family of five, our resort choices are limited. We get two rooms and I diligently search the web for discount codes (our on-site room at POP last year was only $65 per night). Once you make a reservation with Disney, you can always call back, give them a code and get the discount.

Also, sign-up for the free vacation planning DVD on the Disney website, and do anything else you can to "register" with them. They will send you mailers advertising the parks. There is usually a PIN code on the mailer that will give you a discount when you book with the code. I've gotten up to 40% cuts on my room price this way.

We always try to book our next Disney vacation before we leave. You will save AT LEAST 35% when you do that (it's called the "bounce back" offer). It requires a $200 deposit, but that is refundable up to 45 days before your actual vacation.

As for what we do in real life to save money....I'm pretty frugal. All our vehicles are paid for, we hardly ever eat out at home, I do freezer meals and buy in bulk to save on groceries (I only spend $450 per month on food and that includes toiletries, etc.), we open the windows instead of turning on the air conditioner...stuff like that. Also a Disney trip is a large part of our Christmas gift. Whatever money comes in from grandparents, aunt and uncles, etc, goes into the "Disney fund". I do the same thing with all my dh's bonus money from work (he gets a monthly bonus based on profit)....all of it goes to the "Disney fund". Fortunately for us his bonuses are fairly substantial and we are able to pay for our trip in this way.

As far as airlines go....book early. For us, Delta has the best deals for our next trip. Last year, Southwest did. My dh also has a credit card that he uses for business purposes only (he is reimbursed monthly by his company for his expenses) and it is an airline reward card. Last year, 3 out of our 5 tickets were free, which saved us about $1500.

We prefer staying on-site, because with our room discounts, the dining plan and the fact that we don't need to rent a car, we save money. I also just enjoy being there the entire time. For me personally, I feel like I lose some of the "magic" that is Disney when I stay elsewhere. Also, a hotel that may be "10 minutes away from the front gate" can be a lot longer in the traffic crush of morning arrivals. Not to mention, the front gate is actually miles away from any of the park entrances. LOL

So yes, our Disney vacations are not for everyone (in fact some folks probably think we're insane :lol:), but it is something we really enjoy and so I make the effort to plan and save for it. I also prefer to stay for a minimum of ten days (since we're so far away, a "long weekend" at WDW just isn't realistic or worth it), because that actually saves us more money in the long run. Park tickets are only $5 a day per person for everyday over your fifth day. That really lowers the average cost per park day for us.

I also pack cereal, granola bars, etc. for quick breakfasts in the room and that saves some money, too.

Anyway, take time to plan, research, and save and I think you'll find a nice Disney vacation isn't that far out of reach.

No dining plans are available to those not staying on Disney property. We have always found it more convenient (and more fun) to stay in a Disney hotel, even if we're paying for the dining plan. And honestly, we've always paid for it....my trips never seem to coincide with free dining. :glare: However, the dining plan has always saved me about 25-30% over the "rack rate" for the food. Plus, eating at Disney is one of the most fun parts of our vacation.

Free dining is available from now through March 2012 (our next trip is scheduled for May. :lol:). I've heard rumors that it may be extended, but for now that's all they are....rumors.

Your dining plan corresponds to the Disney resort in which you're staying, so if you stay in a Value resort, you only get the "quick service" dining plan, which only includes counter service meals and snacks. We prefer sit-down restaurants, so we always get the regular dining plan which allows for a table service, quick service and snack each day. The deluxe dining plan is too much food for all but the most dedicated eaters. :lol: It has 2 table service meals per day, a counter service meal and two snacks.

Again, make sure that the cost of staying off-site is worth it. Not just monetarily (you will pay for parking, rental car, gas, etc.), but in terms of time (a lot of it is wasted traveling back and forth from your hotel to the parks) and hassle. When you stay off-site, you lose perks like more hours in the parks and....my favorite....free transportation and baggage pick-up to and from the airport. I love not having to go to baggage claim to retrieve my suitcases...they just magically appear in my hotel room.

Anyway, do a lot of research, read guidebooks and find out what works best for your family. How many people you will be traveling with, their ages, and any kind of special needs will heavily influence your decision. Disney vacations are not alike between any two families taking them, so take all advice with a grain of salt and really find what will work best for you.

The DISboards are a great resource: http://www.disboards.com/

Have a wonderful time planning!!!

Hmm... well, we'd be driving, there is no point flying there when it's only maybe a 12 hour drive. And with all the things I'm seeing regarding some of the cheap offsite ways to stay, that makes me :001_huh: at the cost of the Disney owned hotels... we are too big for any of the value ones.

Another thing is, if we stay at any of the Disney hotels and DON'T want to pay an arm and a leg, it's everyone in the same room for a week. :glare: Not sure about that...but free dining is definitely tempting. sigh. Who knows...

Hmm... well, we'd be driving, there is no point flying there when it's only maybe a 12 hour drive. And with all the things I'm seeing regarding some of the cheap offsite ways to stay, that makes me :001_huh: at the cost of the Disney owned hotels... we are too big for any of the value ones.

Another thing is, if we stay at any of the Disney hotels and DON'T want to pay an arm and a leg, it's everyone in the same room for a week. :glare: Not sure about that...but free dining is definitely tempting. sigh. Who knows...

I see in your siggy that you have a two year old. They stay for free and don't count toward the amount of people in a room. Disney will even put a play 'n pack in the room for you.

Once you get into doing even SOME meals, snacks, and drinks at the park, I really don't think you save much by staying off-site and preparing meals (versus going during a free dining time).

It depends...for us, we would have to have 2 rooms or stay in a deluxe resort. Our 4 bedroom, 4 bathroom vacation house with it's own pool/hottub and gameroom is less than two value resort rooms and it's only a few minutes from the parks. We could have even gotten a cheaper one, but we splurged for the gameroom and pool. It's a heck of a lot more space too. Even with free dining (which wasn't totally free because you had to buy a "memories" package that was something like another $100) and the fact that we would have to pay for parking, it came out cheaper. We are even eating two or three times in the park (I've looked at all the menus and gotten a pretty good idea of what we are going to spend), and it will still be a little cheaper for a whole lot more room. 500 sq feet (that's 2 rooms together) for 7 people for a week just doesn't sound fun to me.

We are not going to do any character meals and doing mostly counter service and sharing meals (except the night we are going to Via Napoli in Epcot and getting the giant pizza) and taking food into the park, so if character dining and sit down meals are something that you are really wanting to do, I could see free dining as a plus. However, the free dining in the value resorts doesn't include sit down restaurants. You have to stay in moderate or deluxe for those to be free.

Edited by mandymom

Well, $10,000 is what I budget, just to be safe, but I try not to let it get to that point.

The best thing that saves me money is planning. Early and thoroughly. We stay at value resorts (POP Century is my favorite), because that enables us to have a longer vacation and since we are a family of five, our resort choices are limited. We get two rooms and I diligently search the web for discount codes (our on-site room at POP last year was only $65 per night). Once you make a reservation with Disney, you can always call back, give them a code and get the discount.

Also, sign-up for the free vacation planning DVD on the Disney website, and do anything else you can to "register" with them. They will send you mailers advertising the parks. There is usually a PIN code on the mailer that will give you a discount when you book with the code. I've gotten up to 40% cuts on my room price this way.

We always try to book our next Disney vacation before we leave. You will save AT LEAST 35% when you do that (it's called the "bounce back" offer). It requires a $200 deposit, but that is refundable up to 45 days before your actual vacation.

As for what we do in real life to save money....I'm pretty frugal. All our vehicles are paid for, we hardly ever eat out at home, I do freezer meals and buy in bulk to save on groceries (I only spend $450 per month on food and that includes toiletries, etc.), we open the windows instead of turning on the air conditioner...stuff like that. Also a Disney trip is a large part of our Christmas gift. Whatever money comes in from grandparents, aunt and uncles, etc, goes into the "Disney fund". I do the same thing with all my dh's bonus money from work (he gets a monthly bonus based on profit)....all of it goes to the "Disney fund". Fortunately for us his bonuses are fairly substantial and we are able to pay for our trip in this way.

As far as airlines go....book early. For us, Delta has the best deals for our next trip. Last year, Southwest did. My dh also has a credit card that he uses for business purposes only (he is reimbursed monthly by his company for his expenses) and it is an airline reward card. Last year, 3 out of our 5 tickets were free, which saved us about $1500.

We prefer staying on-site, because with our room discounts, the dining plan and the fact that we don't need to rent a car, we save money. I also just enjoy being there the entire time. For me personally, I feel like I lose some of the "magic" that is Disney when I stay elsewhere. Also, a hotel that may be "10 minutes away from the front gate" can be a lot longer in the traffic crush of morning arrivals. Not to mention, the front gate is actually miles away from any of the park entrances. LOL

So yes, our Disney vacations are not for everyone (in fact some folks probably think we're insane :lol:), but it is something we really enjoy and so I make the effort to plan and save for it. I also prefer to stay for a minimum of ten days (since we're so far away, a "long weekend" at WDW just isn't realistic or worth it), because that actually saves us more money in the long run. Park tickets are only $5 a day per person for everyday over your fifth day. That really lowers the average cost per park day for us.

I also pack cereal, granola bars, etc. for quick breakfasts in the room and that saves some money, too.

Anyway, take time to plan, research, and save and I think you'll find a nice Disney vacation isn't that far out of reach.

Thank you, those are great tips!!!

I saw you say that children 2 and under don't count in the occupancy of a room? So on our next trip, if we have 6 children but only 4 of them are 3 and older, how many rooms would we need?

I would love to go on regular Disney vacations, as of now dh is not on board but maybe if I talk to him more about these things it would help convince him.....

You will need two rooms no matter which resort you are in, unless you get a cabin or a suite.

Once we had more than 2 kids we were DONE with staying on site due to cost.

Dawn

Thank you, those are great tips!!!

I saw you say that children 2 and under don't count in the occupancy of a room? So on our next trip, if we have 6 children but only 4 of them are 3 and older, how many rooms would we need?

I would love to go on regular Disney vacations, as of now dh is not on board but maybe if I talk to him more about these things it would help convince him.....

A couple of questions:

Is free dining ever offered during Homeschool Days? Do you have to stay on site for it? In the past, Free Dining and Homeschool Days have overlapped; however, you could not take advantage of both discounts. Well, at least, it wasn't financially beneficial to do so. Homeschool Days allows you to purchase deeply discounted tickets. Free Dining requires an on-site stay and minimum ticket purchase of 3 days. Homeschool Days starts October 3rd this year, which is after the end of Free Dining anyway. You do have to stay on site for Free Dining, but not for Homeschool Days.

The other meal plan that Disney offers (that isn't free lol) - do you have to stay on site for that one? Yes.

If you stay off site and pay parking, is it for the day (even if you leave) or do you have to pay it again when you come back? It is for the full day and covers all Disney Parks. You can come and go as many times as you please.

We also have a pain with staying on site because there are 5 of us. :/ If your 2 year old will be 3 when you visit next year, you could consider staying at the Port Orleans Riverside resort (a moderate level). They have rooms with 2 double beds and a trundle. The trundle is recommended for children up to 9 years old.

Okay, just for the heck of it, I did a little price comparison for you using 2011 rates. They'll go up a bit for next year.

Free Dining Plan during Value season (mid-August through late September) at Port Orleans Riverside for an 8 night stay would run your family $2538.93. Hotel, most meals, and park tickets included. This assumes your 2 year old will be 3 at the time of the visit and would require a park ticket. If not, the total would be a couple hundred less.

Homeschool Days in October -

8 night stay at an off-site hotel (@$89/night + tax) = $801

Discounted park tickets 8 days = $920

Parking for 8 days = $128

Total without food expenses = $1849

That's a difference of $690. Can your family eat for 8 or 9 days for less than $690? For your family, I would estimate Disney counter service meals to run about $35 - $40 and sit-down character meals about $100 - $125 with tip.

I hope this helps!

To answer this question:

Yes, you pay for a DAY of parking. You can even leave and go park later at another park (say you start at Magic Kingdom and then go later to Animal Kingdom), you just show your parking pass you received at the first gate and they will let you in.

Just don't lose that parking pass!

Dawn

:/

I would love to have that kind of budget. Sigh. I would take my family to Africa instead of not even being able to afford Animal Kingdom Lodge!

:D

However, we don't have that kind of vacation budget.

Dawn

I would love to have that kind of budget. Sigh. I would take my family to Africa instead of not even being able to afford Animal Kingdom Lodge!

:D

However, we don't have that kind of vacation budget.

Dawn

LOL....I truly appreciate the blessing it is for us to be able to do this. And I can't really afford AKL either. I think you need a $20,000 budget for that. :lol: We stay at a value most of the time. Grand Floridian starts at $465 per night. :001_huh: And I know folks who stay there for two weeks and pay for the deluxe dining plan on top of it. That might be pushing it into the $40,000 budget range. :lol:

LOL....I truly appreciate the blessing it is for us to be able to do this. And I can't really afford AKL either. I think you need a $20,000 budget for that. :lol: We stay at a value most of the time. Grand Floridian starts at $465 per night. :001_huh: And I know folks who stay there for two weeks and pay for the deluxe dining plan on top of it. That might be pushing it into the $40,000 budget range. :lol:

I don't know, our last trip we got a 40% off pin code, so we stayed at the Polynesian (a deluxe) as a splurge. We did 7 days plus dining and parkhoppers, and I think the total was under $6000. (not including plane tickets though.)

I will say, we should never have done it though! Hubby thinks he has to have the monorail from now on! That trip was a splurge for us.

There is no way I would pack a family of 5 in one Disney room.... they are T-I-N-Y.... I'm telling you, having 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 4 TV's and a kitchen make a WORLD of difference!!! Especially when it's half the cost of the tiny room :)

:iagree: I've stayed on Disney property and off property, and I agree with the above. Also, we wasted so much time when we stayed on property waiting for the Disney Transportation "Perk" bus. By the time we waited for it to arrive, then waited while it stopped at the other resorts, we were sometimes 45 minutes waiting to get to the park!!!! If you stay off-site, you park, take a tram to the front gate, and you're in! I'm not seeing much of a benefit of staying on-site.

I'm not picking on you, I promise, please don't hate me. But I really don't understand how you think you are saving money.....

We go for 2 weeks. We eat out just as much, or more, as if we were getting the dining plan. Actually, we eat at more Table service places than quick service, so we eat better than we would on the Dining Plan. We eat at all the nice places; Le Cellier, Jiko, etc. We eat Character breakfasts every other day, sometimes multiple days in a row. Plus we are going to Universal for 2 days. Plus mini-golf. Plus Very Merry Christmas Party. Plus Candlelight Processional Dinner package. Plus we'll pay for my niece. So, for 4 people, I'm still coming in at less than $5000. That's EVERYTHING; including gas and lodging for the drive down, parking, tickets, food, etc. EVERYTHING, for 4 people. There is NO WAY we could get it that cheap staying on site.... PIN Codes, etc. there is NO WAY. And for the price you pay for 2 rooms at POP, you could get a 3 Bedroom Luxury Condo or Townhome. Shoot, for just $50 more a night, you could get a 4 BR house with it's own enclosed pool and jacuzzi in the back yard!!

Again, I'm not picking on you. :D I've just met lots of people who think this way, but when I run the numbers.... no matter how much I crunch them, there is just NO WAY that you will spend less on-site than off. I think it's great if you only WANT to stay onsite b/c of the magic, etc. especially if you can afford it.... I just don't understand when people try to say that there isn't a huge difference. Different strokes for different folks though :)

I don't feel picked on....:D. I know it's a personal choice as to whether to stay on-site or off (and on the DISboards, people are quite...uh...adament about their personal preferences :lol:). When I say I'm saving money, I'm comparing it to what we would spend renting a condo, plus a car (we fly), filling it with gas, etc. I also won't cook on vacation. Period. LOL So we'll still be eating on site. And truthfully, I haven't run the numbers in several years, since I just don't like staying off-site. The last time I did (3 years ago, I think), I was saving money by staying on property when all of the discounts were figured in. Not a ton, but it justified it all for me. Don't tell me things are different now....I don't want to hear it. :lol:

And honestly, I also want people to research before they get chewed up and spit out by the Disney machine. It's one of those vacations that can suck you into a black hole if you go in "unarmed" so to speak. My dh keeps telling me that when universities start handing out Masters degrees for Disney Studies I'll finally have a place to hand in my thesis. :D

Edited by DianeW88

There is no way I would pack a family of 5 in one Disney room.... they are T-I-N-Y.... I'm telling you, having 3 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms, 4 TV's and a kitchen make a WORLD of difference!!! Especially when it's half the cost of the tiny room :)

I agree with you they are tiny, but what we have found is we are hardly ever in the room. We pretty much wake, get dressed and leave. If we do come back to the hotel for anything - the kids and at least one of the adults is at the pool. Most of the time we arrive back at our room late at night and all fall asleep from exhaustion. I have done Moderates and Value. I love the French Quarter for Moderates, but the last few trips - I just couldn't justify paying more for a room we were never in. Granted - I generally travel with my mom, my sister and my 2 younger kids. I just bring a camp mat for my little guy and we all fit in one value room. If I had to get 2 rooms - I may opt for offsite.

I do the Choice Hotels Visa points thing. There is a really nice Comfort Suites not far from the gate. We have stayed there a night or two leading into a trip to Disney. The room is HUGE and with points - free. I have yet to convince myself to stay there for the whole trip because I just like the convenience of staying on site. We are planning to go in November. We use Florida Resident discounts to get a season pass for M-F visits. The price is close to homeschool prices, but you get to use the pass all year. If we stay onsite in November we will get free dining. When we return next year, if I did the Comfort Suites - the trip could only cost for parking and food. So, I may have to try it at some point, I guess.

I do have a question for those of you who have rented houses - have any of you rented a super large house that sleeps like 15? The only reason I ask is that I see you can get the deeply discounted prices if you book it for 10+ students. I have a big group of homeschool friends that may want to put a package together. If we could all rent one giant house - that would be an excellent way to bring the costs down.

I guess to answer the OP question:

It can cost as little as you need it to or as much as you want it to.

As I have previously stated, DH wouldn't agree to go nearly as often if we did Disney more in a more costly way.

For US, Disney is about the parks. For others Disney is about the food, getting away, and keeping the "magic" by staying onsite.

We too didn't feel the "magic" by staying in a small hotel room. The one time we did stay on property we rented DVC points from a DVC member and stayed at Old Key West for $99/night including tax S-Th.

We now relax far better in a 2 bedroom condo off site. :tongue_smilie: And really, if you don't spend much time in the room anyway, why would I pay $99/night to sleep only?

We go off season so I am not concerned about Extra Magic Hours as we do everything we want to do in the parks without them.

We have eaten character meals when the older boys were younger. Now it can cost upwards of $200 for one meal with tax and tip for our family of 5. We don't even enjoy the meal at that price.

And another thing that I realize is opinion.......there are very few Disney meals we walk away from and think, "Wow, that was better than eating off-site." The food quality has gone downhill since free dining was offered a few years back. The grapefruit cake at The Brown Derby used to be made fresh on site. Now it is pre-made, frozen, and sent in. This is just one example of the quality change. And for $8.50 for a piece of cake, it shouldn't be that way.

We now let the boys choose one or two sit down options per trip. They usually pick T-Rex or Rainforest. I am a Safari Club member so we get a free appetizer. I also have found .99 kids' meal coupons online (see below.) We are able to combine these and get 2 adult meals, 2 kids meals, and an appetizer for around $40-$50. These work at both T-Rex and Rainforest and we are just as happy.

http://www.rainforestcafe.com/rewardsCalendars.asp

I am NOT trying to convince those of you who have a larger budget to budget like we do, I just want people who have thought they couldn't go to know there are ways to get there for less.

Dawn

My first thought is that if it's going to be a financial strain on your family, and may not be well suited to your kids in the first place, then skip it without guilt. Not an experience that every child needs.

:iagree: Our family of 7 never went to Disney, and we live in Florida! We can do so much more for our kids with that money!

Diane, I'm so with you! Staying on site is a big part of the "experience" for us. I love the "theme" of the hotels, the early magic hours, the whole bit. I love getting picked up at the airport with Magic Express and having them get my luggage. I love the dining plan because I don't have to figure out the food budget, it's already figured. I also, don't cook on vacation. (I do that for camping, which is why I don't like camping!)

We are a family of three, so I don't have to worry about extra rooms...maybe I might feel differently then. But I agree the prices are CLOSE if you plan it out, so it's really alot about preference.

And you are spot on about the Disney Machine chewing people up. Our first trip was very tightly planned and came in at $3500 for everything including plane tickets. Some friends went about the same time, and spent close to $10,000 for about the same experience! (Family of three also.) Planning is the key! (And fun too....)

:iagree: Our family of 7 never went to Disney, and we live in Florida! We can do so much more for our kids with that money!

Not trying to convince you otherwise, but did you know they have amazing FL resident discounts.

You can get a season pass - good all year - Monday thru Friday for $175 per child and $190 per adult. We buy these passes, use the free dining on the first trip because for free dining you have to pay for 2 days tickets - then apply that purchase to the season passes pretty close to a wash. Then we can go 2 more times and our tix are paid for already.

We live in SC now, but still own our house in FL. We have to go make a repair on that house. I was looking into so many other things to do with a week in FL and the cheapest thing I can do aside from not doing anything - is go to Disney. For me to go for 5 days, stay onsite, meals included, season passes good for a year - $1160. For me to go to Pinellas County Tampa Bay where our house is - stay in a hotel, feed us and do the zoo, aquarium, Busch Gardens, etc - I am looking at about $1000 and I won't have season passes at the end of it. I looked at driving down to the Keys (another favorite of ours). By the time I pay for a condo there - not many chain hotels, food, gas to get there, snorkel trips, Miami zoo - I am way over $1160. So, it looks like we are going to Disney.

Planning is the key! (And fun too....)

:iagree: We probably won't be going for another 2 years and I'm already itching to start planning again...

Not trying to convince you otherwise, but did you know they have amazing FL resident discounts.

You can get a season pass - good all year - Monday thru Friday for $175 per child and $190 per adult.

That's it, I officially want to move back to FL. I lived there as a child, wish we lived closer. We live about as far as you can get in the US now.

We stay on site, typically 10-days, and don't do the mental gymnastics above to come in under $5000 for a family of four, staying on-site, deluxe villa 1-bedroom, 10-day park hoppers and the deluxe dining plan.

Since we rented the points, we can decide which days to do the dining plan and don't have to do it the entire stay, so we don't start the dining plan until the first day (not the first night), so that cuts one night off, so we only pay for nine nights, which works well for us.

We're going next month - Boardwalk Villas (private DVC rental) in a 1-bedroom unit cost us $2000; 10-day park hoppers $1042 (undercover tourist with mouse savers discount); deluxe dining plan $1593 - total $4635. One of our four is under 3, but if he wasn't and we paid for one more kid, that adds $530 for dining plan and park hopper ticket, so just over $5000 for the ten days.

I don't think that's too bad when you consider it's all meals, all snacks, all beverages, all parks, we're on site (walking distance to Epcot, boat to DHS) and it's just over $100 a day per person; if both kids were paying, we'd be at $125 day per person.

Not wanting to be snarky, at ALL. But I find the bolded, that staying off-site = wasted time to be an absolute, complete myth.

For years, YEARS, we put up with the Disney bus system. Had to stand in line with a BILLION other people, in the heat, in the sun. Standing 2 inches from smelly, sweaty people. Teenagers making out. Irritated people swearing/cursing. And ohhhhhhh the heat! The last time (straw!) was one Sept. when we waited for a bus outside of EPCOT for OVER AN HOUR in the STIFLING heat. Kids were so miserable that parents were stripping them down to their underwear/diapers and they were crying, sunburnt and red. You could tell they were suffering.... and this was at 10:00 at night!! And then you get on the bus and have to stand up, holding your child who has passed out from the heat/exhaustion! And THEN, when you get off the bus, you still have to WALK for 5-10 minutes to your room!!! SO miserable, especially if you are staying in a value resort. Seriously, the whole trip (during Free Dining, btw, UGH! Free Dining is the WORST!!!) we spent HOURS waiting on buses!!

Well, the next time, when we stayed at Windsor Hills, it took us 5-15 minutes, door to gate, to get to any of the parks. For two whole weeks! In Sept./Oct. At the end of the night, we walked to the parking lot (or took a tram) sat down in our comfy car and blasted the A/C. We were "home" in less than 20 minutes and felt so bad for all those "suckers" wasting away in bus lines. Seriously, NEVER AGAIN. For us, escaping the Disney transport and getting to drive in & out of parks is the biggest perk for staying off-site.

OK, sorry, off my soapbox now :) I just get so worked up about it b/c that trip (in 2006) was soooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo miserable and it bugs me that we avoided staying off-site for SOOOOO long b/c of crazy myths like that one. Our offsite trip the following year was the best one we ever had and I'm never going back to on-site :)

THANK you for clarifying! I was VERY curious about the whole off-site/on-site confusions.

We're most likely staying OFF-site.

If mental gymnastics can save me $3,500 then I will do it!

I don't really consider it mental gymnastics though. For some of us it is a bit of a challenge/game to see how much we can save and still have a good time.

However, I do realize that many have a much higher budget than we do or prefer not to do things the way we do.

Dawn

We stay on site, typically 10-days, and don't do the mental gymnastics above to come in under $5000 for a family of four, staying on-site, deluxe villa 1-bedroom, 10-day park hoppers and the deluxe dining plan.

Since we rented the points, we can decide which days to do the dining plan and don't have to do it the entire stay, so we don't start the dining plan until the first day (not the first night), so that cuts one night off, so we only pay for nine nights, which works well for us.

We're going next month - Boardwalk Villas (private DVC rental) in a 1-bedroom unit cost us $2000; 10-day park hoppers $1042 (undercover tourist with mouse savers discount); deluxe dining plan $1593 - total $4635. One of our four is under 3, but if he wasn't and we paid for one more kid, that adds $530 for dining plan and park hopper ticket, so just over $5000 for the ten days.

I don't think that's too bad when you consider it's all meals, all snacks, all beverages, all parks, we're on site (walking distance to Epcot, boat to DHS) and it's just over $100 a day per person; if both kids were paying, we'd be at $125 day per person.

Well, I don't do much mental gymnastics anymore either...that was just for illustration purposes. We book our next trip before we leave and then use any additional PIN codes I come across to save more and that's pretty much it at this point. Except for the free airfare from credit card points, but that isn't super tough either.

Tell me about DVC private rentals though. I've looked at buying into DVC, but right now it doesn't seem worth it. So how do the rentals work? Do you rent through an agency? Is it cheaper than a traditional Disney hotel stay? Obviously you use the dining plan, so how do you set that up? Through the owner? Through Disney? Can you choose any DVC property you like? Inquiring minds want to know. :lol: TIA!

Tell me about DVC private rentals though. I've looked at buying into DVC, but right now it doesn't seem worth it. So how do the rentals work? Do you rent through an agency? Is it cheaper than a traditional Disney hotel stay? Obviously you use the dining plan, so how do you set that up? Through the owner? Through Disney? Can you choose any DVC property you like? Inquiring minds want to know. :lol: TIA!

There are a couple of rental agencies, the one I've heard a lot about is David's I think (something like David's DVC?). I go over to the mouseowners forum though, where they have a section that's for rentals and look to see what's available, see who has points they want to rent, and then once we figure out a price per point (I usually try to stay in the $10 range, but have paid as little as $7 on distressed points that were in holding for the owner) the owner then calls to find out if dates are available.

A few things I've learned doing this: If the owner has points at the resort you want, you can reserve up to 11-months in advance, if not, just seven months in advance. The earlier you book though, the more you'll pay for points since they can get a premium for the points while they still have exclusive reservation ability. An owner can booked you into any resort you want as long as there is availability for your dates.

Doing the rental through an owner, I've found has a couple of advantages. One is the dining plan, you don't have to start it the night you arrive, nor do you have to have the same plan every day you stay. The owner we rented from explained how it worked and we wanted the deluxe plan anyway, but liked we could start it the first full day instead of the first night when we'll arrive later than able to use it that night. The other advantage is that if you only wanted the dining plan on a couple of nights, you can do that too.

Once the reservation is made, the owner would take care of adding the dining plan if you wanted it. You have to pay for the dining plan the day it is added, so you can do it right away, or you can wait until, I think, up to 72 hours before you're going to check in?

When you rent from an owner, you can book magical express (it's still free) and you can use all the transportation and the extra magic hours. You can also get your tickets at a discounter, like undercover tourist, and save a little bit there instead of paying at the gate prices. You can also check-in online, which saves some time when you arrive.

I just checked online. If we'd booked directly through Disney, the same exact nights, with the deluxe dining plan and 10-day park hoppers, it would cost us $9516, so renting privately with a DVC owner saved us $4500.

ETA: I also just played around a bit and instead of staying in a 1-bedroom with a private rental, I could stay in a hotel room on-site at a value (Pop) with same things, 10-day park hoppers and deluxe dining and it would cost $4200, so for about $800 more we get a larger unit instead and just go through an owner to do it.

Edited by MamaBearMO

http://www.wdwinfo.com/disney-vacation-club/RentTrade-FAQ.htm

This site explains it well and has links to rentals.

One thing to remember is that it may only be 10 "points" for S-Thur rentals but it is often 25 points for Fri-Sun rentals. So, if you plan to stay a full week, the weekend can cost as much as the 5 nights of S-Thur.

Dawn

There are a couple of rental agencies, the one I've heard a lot about is David's I think (something like David's DVC?). I go over to the mouseowners forum though, where they have a section that's for rentals and look to see what's available, see who has points they want to rent, and then once we figure out a price per point (I usually try to stay in the $10 range, but have paid as little as $7 on distressed points that were in holding for the owner) the owner then calls to find out if dates are available.

A few things I've learned doing this: If the owner has points at the resort you want, you can reserve up to 11-months in advance, if not, just seven months in advance. The earlier you book though, the more you'll pay for points since they can get a premium for the points while they still have exclusive reservation ability. An owner can booked you into any resort you want as long as there is availability for your dates.

Doing the rental through an owner, I've found has a couple of advantages. One is the dining plan, you don't have to start it the night you arrive, nor do you have to have the same plan every day you stay. The owner we rented from explained how it worked and we wanted the deluxe plan anyway, but liked we could start it the first full day instead of the first night when we'll arrive later than able to use it that night. The other advantage is that if you only wanted the dining plan on a couple of nights, you can do that too.

Once the reservation is made, the owner would take care of adding the dining plan if you wanted it. You have to pay for the dining plan the day it is added, so you can do it right away, or you can wait until, I think, up to 72 hours before you're going to check in?

When you rent from an owner, you can book magical express (it's still free) and you can use all the transportation and the extra magic hours. You can also get your tickets at a discounter, like undercover tourist, and save a little bit there instead of paying at the gate prices. You can also check-in online, which saves some time when you arrive.

I just checked online. If we'd booked directly through Disney, the same exact nights, with the deluxe dining plan and 10-day park hoppers, it would cost us $9516, so renting privately with a DVC owner saved us $4500.

ETA: I also just played around a bit and instead of staying in a 1-bedroom with a private rental, I could stay in a hotel room on-site at a value (Pop) with same things, 10-day park hoppers and deluxe dining and it would cost $4200, so for about $800 more we get a larger unit instead and just go through an owner to do it.

:001_huh::001_huh: And you say you don't do mental gymnastics? I was lost in the first paragraph :D.

Can anyone link me to the Windsor Hills/ Palms that has the great rates I see some of you posting? I have googled them but keeping coming up in the $300 price range.

Thanks!!

[urlbestcondostay.com[/url]

We used this guy in Windsor Hills. His name is Gary and he's GREAT! It's a 3 bedroom, 2 bath condo on the 4th floor. It has a nice balcony too. We always go in January and we paid $468/week and split it with my sister! It's very easy walking distance to the main pool/gatehouse/movie theater, etc.

Hmmmm . . . the link didn't work when I put the www in there. Just type it in: BESTCONDOSTAY.COM it'll open.

PS Email him for the best rates. He waived the cleaning fee and that rate included our taxes.

Edited by Jennifer in MI

Thanks. :) (I hope I didn't sound rude in the last reply, I forgot to say that then! lol)

By the time we go she'll be older - probably 3-4. No biggie. Even now I highly doubt she would consent to sleeping in a pack n play. :D

But all this info is great. I subscribed to this so I can look back on it when planning time comes around!!

Okay, just for the heck of it, I did a little price comparison for you using 2011 rates. They'll go up a bit for next year.

Free Dining Plan during Value season (mid-August through late September) at Port Orleans Riverside for an 8 night stay would run your family $2538.93. Hotel, most meals, and park tickets included. This assumes your 2 year old will be 3 at the time of the visit and would require a park ticket. If not, the total would be a couple hundred less.

Homeschool Days in October -

8 night stay at an off-site hotel (@$89/night + tax) = $801

Discounted park tickets 8 days = $920

Parking for 8 days = $128

Total without food expenses = $1849

That's a difference of $690. Can your family eat for 8 or 9 days for less than $690? For your family, I would estimate Disney counter service meals to run about $35 - $40 and sit-down character meals about $100 - $125 with tip.

I hope this helps!

Ooh, thanks for this info!!!

I just wanted to add this for those who are looking at off/on site and the dining plan.

Like I said, our family has been going to Disney for YEARS. My FIRST memories, from 4 yrs. old, are on the old keel boats at Disney. :D So, I LOVE them. BUT, as someone else has said, their food quality has gone way down hill, ESPECIALLY during free dining.

Part of the reason our 2006 trip was so miserable is b/c we had just started eating healthier about a year before. We could NOT handle all that junk food at Disney quick service places. We felt miserable and bloated.... and had to go to the bathroom, a lot. :blush: Just the thought of staying in a value and having to eat at quick service places twice a day makes my stomach turn in knots. Seriously, most of it is pretty bad..... any place that has healthier options, like Columbia Harbor House, will be really crowded.

You can see all the menu's here: http://allears.net/menu/menus.htm

So, in 2007, for our "do-over" trip, we had sandwich stuff back at the condo, like nice hoagie rolls, shredded lettuce, submarine oil, meat, cheese, etc. We would get to the parks at rope drop (9:00 a.m.) and go back to the condo around 12:30-1:00. My 3 yr. old took a nap, in his own room, and I was able to shower off and change clothes, (even in October, you will work up a sweat!) eat a nice healthy lunch and even sneak in a power nap some days. We would go back to the parks in the late afternoon and stay until closing. We felt SO much better, experienced no stress and we weren't completely exhausted by the end of the night.

I never really "cooked", other than pop some Kashi waffles in the toaster. So, for us, it's not about saving money.... it's about enjoying ourselves. By getting that midday break, we feel better and are more relaxed. By eating half our breakfasts and most lunches in the condo, we felt better and were able to then spend our money at nice restaurants every night. And when we went to those nice restaurants, we were in fresh clean clothes and not already bloated from the crappy lunch we had, KWIM? I just don't consider eating every meal in the parks a "perk"; to me, that is a downgrade, something that will take away from my vacation experience. I understand that not everyone has the same food preferences, and that for most people, it won't affect their tummies, but if you are a healthy eater.... it might make you pretty miserable.

Anyways, just wanted to out that out there, just in case there are other people with the same "foodie" issues ;)

I feel pretty much the same way, no way I want to do counter service meals daily; I don't even eat fast food at home, so why would I on vacation? That's why we do the deluxe dining plan. It works well for us since we usually do two meals a day instead of three, with a late breakfast or early lunch at a table service restaurant (Tutto Italia, Wave, Coral Reef, etc) and then a signature for dinner (Jiko, Artist Point, etc.). But some don't like to do table service either, they prefer to do quick meals. We go for 10-14 days at a time, so we don't need to rush, so table service for us is great!

I can't even eat OUT everyday. I get sick.

Dawn

I feel pretty much the same way, no way I want to do counter service meals daily; I don't even eat fast food at home, so why would I on vacation? That's why we do the deluxe dining plan. It works well for us since we usually do two meals a day instead of three, with a late breakfast or early lunch at a table service restaurant (Tutto Italia, Wave, Coral Reef, etc) and then a signature for dinner (Jiko, Artist Point, etc.). But some don't like to do table service either, they prefer to do quick meals. We go for 10-14 days at a time, so we don't need to rush, so table service for us is great!

So glad someone brought up the food issue.

Our entire family would be MISERABLE just as yours sounded during that one junk food trip. When we DO go out to eat here at home...all of our tummies don't like us...so we don't do it often anymore! It's not worth the bathroom breaks and moods we all get into.

I'd rather do our dinners out each night we were there or atleast every other night while there. I know we want to do breakfast at the condo and lunch too. If we go as we're hoping in 12-16months our ds will still be a napper and our dd's will still have the 45min quiet time that is ESSENTIAL...vacation or not..it's part of living with another person and being around them all the time and for school too. LOL! So I'd want all of us to get a nice break in the afternoon. Even if it's down time watching tv. The girls have expressed how they'd like to eat lunch..do their quiet time and then go into the pool. Which to me sounds like a VACATION! Then return to the park later in the afternoon either for dinner or shortly after an early dinner.

Die hard all-day-in-the-parks fans might disagree, but I really prefer this way :) I loved having the midday break. Seriously, by 12:30, our undergarments would be wet with sweat, it was gross. Plus, you have sunscreen all over you.

We would come in, eat lunch, bathe DS real quick and pop him in his bed and close the door. Then we (me and DH) would each take a bathroom and shower, and then you know, watch some TV and maybe "take a nap". DS would sleep for 2-3 hours. He would wake up, we would get dressed and back out to the parks. And yes, a few of the days, we would go swimming for a bit after lunch.

Seriously, most stress-free Disney vacation we have ever had :)

Def. need a break mid-day with this family of mine. DH and dd6 are both introverts and don't do well long periods around crowds. But do fine if a break is happening, the panic is gone for them and they can enjoy and know when we're taking a break. Then my dd8 is SPD and will need some down time to regroup. And then there is my toddler! Well he's a toddler, nuff said..hehe...