Menu

strange middle school experience

Apparently they brought a team of people to play with kids. Then they lined up the kids and started asking them to take a step in their parents are drug users, take another step if their parents are divorced, take another step if they are often upset at home, etc... My friend's child refused to move and they started drilling him with all sort of private questions about his life at home, trying to persuade him that all isn't well. Let's just say he got home very angry. Is it typical for schools to completely invade a family's privacy and look for imaginary problems? Has anybody experienced anything similar?

Strange, isn't it? I would be down their acting very unprofessionally to say the least.

Unfortunately, not so strange. Minds are easier to mold when there is a disconnect between parent and child. :cursing:

For her dc and all the rest, I hope she raises holy hell!

It's a team building exercise, to break down the walls between cliques and get kids to see that they ALL have struggles. If you watch the MTV show "If You Really Knew Me," they use this technique every time.

The MTV show uses this in high school. It's pretty powerful. Even the kids who don't move across the line get a look at how fortunate they are. Middle schoolers are a little young, I agree.