Menu

Phonics pathways question

monkeymama07

We sit on the couch and he reads and I prompt if necessary. We just go through it page by page and I need to prompt less and less as we go through it. They need to have to vowels down cold before you move on, but after that, it seems that there is enough review, that I will move on before they know all of the consonants.

I have taught all 3 of my sons to read using Phonics Pathways. They are in 10th, 5th, and 2nd grades now.

Have you read The Well-trained Mind? We just did what the book recommended. I taught each boy the sounds of the letters. We read one PP page a day. If the page was particularly long, we might read 1/2 in one sitting and 1/2 in another.

When we finished, each child was capable of (or already reading) beginning chapter books (Magic Treehouse, etc.).

We do a page a day ... dd will be turning five next month and we are about halfway through. I thought the whole Dewey guy was a bit silly at first but dd actually fell in love with him. After every lesson I write either something encouraging or silly beside the Dewey and pretend he said it...she loves it. We also used the Dewey cut-out. I know, really cheesy, but hey it went from something she'd tolerate doing, to something her and ds bring to me to do it with them;):D

With ds (he's 3) we just do as much as he decides (usually only a third of the page)...

We just go through page by page. We may do a page a day or just half a page a day and I usually start the lesson with a quick 1 minute review of some of the previous page.

I have done the lessons in a variety of ways:

1. Orally

2. Had the dc copy the blends onto a whiteboard, window or paper

3. I call out the blends and have the dc point to the correct one

4. Write the blends on pieces of paper and do it flashcard style

5. Use letter blocks or tiles and have the dc build the sounds as they sound them

Dd8 started when I pulled her out of ps in the middle of her K year and she finished a couple months into her 2nd grade year. She did ETC along with PP and continued ETC until the end of her 2nd grade year. Now we use CLE Reading, literature and free reading. She also does phonics\spelling that is integrated into Trail Guide to Learning.

Ds 5 has just started and so far is content to do it all orally. I predict it will take us two school years to complete the book. That is at a leisurely pace.

I dont know what ETC or CLE is but what should I do with it for a 4 year old :bigear:.

Someone already told you about ETC. CLE is Christian Light Education.

Phonics Pathways is absolutely enough on its own. I would just make sure that you are doing lots and lots of read alouds so that your dc can hear how words sound when read fluently. Ds5 has several ETC books now but doesn't always use them. I don't push them either...everything at his pace keeps him happy and me sane.

We do half a page or one page a day. If it's a concept that needs more work (he can't read it fairly easily with almost zero mistakes), I'll add in extra practice by either reading the page more than once (which doesn't go over very well, so we don't do that often), playing games, or writing/reading with our mini dry erase board. Also, once they're to the point that they can read early readers, we'll read those alongside as well--a page in PP, then a "real book" or a story from an early reader.

We started out just reading it orally however my DD was having enormous trouble figuring out to blend using their method.

I came across a post here somewhere that mentioned that most phonics programs blend the last part of the word rather then the first as PP does eg ra-t vs r-at. I switched the method and within one lesson DD was blending perfectly.

Anyway since we don't blend the same way as they do in the book - I write all the words on a whiteboard using the blending method I prefer and DD reads it to me. Then we do a couple words dictation where she writes the word on the board after I say it.

It's working great for us now.